“A jewel of a hotel!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Evans, Colorado
“A jewel of a hotel!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Let me start by saying, I love the Domain!! I was impressed from the first moment I stepped into the door. The environment was very intimate and cozy. They had candles burning and soft lighting. It also had a "zen like" water fountain. I was greeted by the staff as soon as I walked in. They checked me in very quickly and efficiently. The staff was so kind and professional! I had only been in my room 5 to 10 minutes when I got a message from the staff inquiring if my room was up to my standards. Talk about impressive!

The room itself was awesome as well. It had blue walls and lots of soft lighting. The bed was furnished with many pillows from firm to feather pillows. It seemed to me that there was a pillow for each person's taste. It was so clean and welcoming! Oh, and it had a Sleep Number bed. It was a lot of fun playing with it, trying to find the number that worked for me. It was so comfy, and it was the first time in a long, long time that I woke up without a backache.

The bathroom had a bath/shower combo. "Lather" toiletries were also provided. They smelled really good, epecially the creme rinse! I was very impressed.

On the evening of my last day, I asked if they had a shuttle going to the airport. Unfortunately for me, it ran every day except Saturday! But, the girl at the front desk asked me if I wanted her to set up a cab ride for me. Wow! That was great! She told me that she would ring my room the next morning when my cab arrived.

I would like to say that if you are in the San Jose area please look into this hotel. It is my favorite of all, even topping the Crowne Plaza and Sheraton in Milpitas! I am so glad I tried this hotel!

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room that faces outside versus inside. I had a room facing into the hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Maybe this hotel was having an off day, but this hotel needs work.
The lobby was nice and the service was wonderful. However the rooms...
There was a strong locker-room- sweat smell. I didn't have time to do more than drop off my bags and run to a meeting. I called the hotel back and told them about the smell.
When I returned to the room, the smell was gone and the window was open. I then pulled back the comforter and there were stains on the sheets. I told the front desk and they said someone would change the sheets in 10 mins. I then went to the bathroom to wash up. There was mold on the soap. Roughly 10 mins. had lapsed and still no new sheets. I called the front desk to inquire about the sheets and to inform them about the soap - and to check out. I headed to the Hilton Garden Inn. Throughout it all, it just felt like this hotel was more of a motel. And there were two other people at the front desk who were complaining, as I was checking out. My advice to those reading this review - this could have been just a bad mix of circumstances, day,etc. I even read other reviews before making a reservation to stay here. Just play it by ear.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Lilyn1
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. We would like to apologize for the issues you encountered, this is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime, nor are these comments we are accustomed to hearing. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve. We are aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us. Please accept our apology.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time and I will personally oversee your stay to ensure the up most satisfaction. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Lafayette, CO
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Domain is a nice Sunnyvale hotel conveniently about equidistant from both highways 101 and 280, giving me both options when heading north into or toward San Francisco.

Rooms are average overall but one thing I like is the huge amount of desk space. The desk runs essentially the length of one wall in the room, giving me plenty of space for my laptop plus assorted piles of paper and such I may be working on. I'm not wild about the Sleep Number beds as it takes a few nights to dial in the right firmness each trip.

The hotel is near all sorts of restaurants so there are plenty of dining options. I also love that the hotel provides free access to a gym directly across the street. The hotel has its own fitness room but its pretty minimal and the gym across the street (a Fitness 19, I believe) more than makes up for it.

I use the hotel for classes we host in one of the meeting rooms 5-6 times a year and the meeting space is what keeps bringing me back. They have 3 meeting rooms and we can host courses of essentially any size between the 3 options.

Physically the hotel is a typical 3-star quality hotel but it's been upgraded with a nicer lobby and public spaces. What sets the Domain apart from typical competitors, though, is the quality of the staff. All are super-friendly and helpful. I was greeted by name as soon as I entered the lobby to check in earlier this week. The event staff of Chris and Kim are tremendous. I'm always so happy to see them on the first day of an event because I know they'll make things run smoothly, unlike my experiences at so many hotels. I've stayed at a handful of Four Seasons, which are renowned for their service, and I find the service equally friendly and helpful at the Domain.

Room Tip: Be aware that some of the rooms are interior (they overlook the lobby). I suspect this is a few doll...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mikecohn
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. Your survey and comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve.

Guest satisfaction is very important to us.

Thank you!

chicago, IL
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel to visit the Silicon Valley area. The hotel is located in Sunnyvale and is directly on the el Camino real. Many shops and restaurants are close or nearby. The hotel itself looks like it was something else before. The lobby is great and had a great restaurant. Plenty of parking outside or under the hotel. My room was also Motel size, however, the ammenities were great. I enjoy a room that is well laid out, minimal and clean. Flat screen TV with HBO, iPod alarm clock, a work desk, nice size bathroom. My only complaint was the use of curtains around the mirrored closet doors and the fact that my room looked into the lobby. Not really necessary to beam a light at my room, therefore, I wouldn't have to draw the curtain AND the blinds for complete darkness. I gave the hotel an Average rating, because I was expecting something different and wonderful from a Joie de Vivre property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. We have many different room types ranging in price, to accomadate a veriety of guest needs. We are aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went to Domain Hotel in a trip to visit several VCs and tech companies. The location is pretty good, since it is 15-20 minutes from most important places in the valley, provided you have a car, of course.
We had some problems in the check-in, they did not have our reservations made from Booking.com and it took them almost half an hour to clear the problem and give us the room. I was also downgraded and had to ask to change my room as for our reservation.
Apart from that, the room was large and clean, and the public spaces nice. I had no problem with wifi, that worked pretty well.
Overall I would come back there on a business trip when you have to go several place in South Bay, as a tourist I would choose something else

Room Tip: don't take the internal rooms, that have windows in the hall or corridors
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. We would like to apologize for the mistake with your check in. This is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime, nor are these comments we are accustomed to hearing. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve. We are aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us. Please accept our apology.

Oakland, California
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

After staying at five Joie de Vive hotels already I was looking for the same great service and friendly staff as my other stays. The Domain let me down. The desk staff seemed surly we i checked in and one member seemed fake and over the top at check out.

The hotel itself is pretty nice and had some nice features. My room was a little small and the carpet was stained and dirty. I suggest wearing slippers or your shoes at all times. The breakfast was nice and not too busy when we went down.

This met my basic needs but left me feeling I paid too much for mediocre. I suggest staying at the Moorpark, Cupertino Inn, Grand Hotel or Courtyard if you're going to pay a rate compared to Domain's.

• Stayed October 2012

San Diego, California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was surprised by the number of negative reviews. We stayed at The Domain Hotel a couple of weekends ago and had a very nice experience. Our room was clean and appeared recently renovated. The decor was was beautiful. The sleep number beds are a definite risk, since generally it takes awhile to find the number that works for you. We knew that the average person likes it around 33, so we started there and had a very good nights sleep. Our water pressure and temperature gave us no complaints. I think the best part was the staff. We were a bit off-put by dirty dishes outside our door when we arrived. Before we could get our luggage, the manager had whisked them away. They offered to print up driving instructions for our next destination when we left. Overall, our experience at this hotel was very good, and I would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our number one focus is always the guest!

Thank you!

Fax: 408-984-7120
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
#6 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Cupertino Inn
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 6 in Cupertino

Been to The Domain Hotel? Share your experiences!