“High Hopes, Disappointed...Even Dangerous”
Review of The Domain Hotel

The Domain Hotel
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“High Hopes, Disappointed...Even Dangerous”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We booked this hotel about two months prior through Priceline, and by the reviews and pictures, were very excited about it. The location is right off the Expressway, so it was great. (About an hour from San Francisco though) However, when we arrived, it was mostly disappointment that we both felt.

To begin, the front desk service was great. We checked in about 4pm and there was no lines or waiting. The two gentlemen behind the counter were very nice and offered help to find train times, dining, and more. We quickly got our room keys and were given an option of a first floor room or second floor. We chose the second floor just because the first floor room would have been right next to the breakfast area.

When we got to our room, there was a used tray of old food sitting outside the door, which the maids had yet to clean up. This was already a huge turn off for us, and we were expecting the worst when the door was opened. However, the room was cleaned already, so we are not sure why the tray was left outside. The room was very large and was clean (although the sheets and pillow cases did have weird black marks on them). The water pressure/amount of warm water was a little disappointing though. Furthermore, as both of us have Iphones, we wished to both charge them at night. There were limited number of outlets to use near the bed.

We wanted to look up several things on the internet, and since this hotel claimed to have Wi-Fi, opened up our laptop. However, there was no Wi-Fi, as they claimed to be working on it when we were there. So we went downstairs to the business center expecting it to be free. Think again! They charge a fee per time ($5 per 20 min I think) to use the computers. Are they serious? This struck us very badly and makes me think they are just trying to nickel and dime the customers. The breakfast served at their cafe was $12.95 per person....needless to say we went to our own restaurants we found in the area for cheaper.

A big disappointment for us was that the underground garage parking had no security what so ever. There was no gate to open, no cameras, and nobody watching the cars. This hotel sits with a trailer park behind it, and although the area didn't look real rough, we had no idea if it was or not. Therefore, for all we knew, some guy could go walking in, break into our car and no one would ever know. They should have a gate that you open with your room key, or at least a guard at the entrance/exit.

Just a little other note. We were never informed of anything at check-in, but in the garage going to the elevators, we saw a notice posted on the wall. The notice stated that items used or inside the hotel have been proved to cause cancer and birth defects, and you can find further info at the front desk. We went to the front desk, and could not find it. Probably not a safe hotel to stay in for more than a few nights.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dano9258

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We had looked forward to this hotel, but it ended up being a disappointment on many fronts.

The hotel looks attractive, design is contemporary. Staff is OK, some are friendly. The guy we met at check-in was friendly. He gave us a complimentary upgrade from room facing the lobby, to room facing real day light. I cannot imagine facing the lobby floor and not getting real daylight in my room! Furthermore we got free breakfast. Normally it's $13,95, but they said it was in our package (we booked through Priceline!).

The room was not clean. The sheets (duvet cover) had smears on them. We requested clean sheets the next day, but didn't get them. Also the drinking glass in the bathroom wasn't clean the next they, they had just turned the glass we had upside down on the coaster.

They use feather pillows. I'm allergic to feathers and thus requested foam pillows. They checked with housekeeping (or another department) and called back that the feathers in their pillows are synthetic. I'd never heard of that. I felt a feather-like structure in the pillow and I'm not sure if they were really synthetic.

The hotel likes to present itself as eco-friendly. They have gone too far on the showerhead. We have a water-saving showerhead at home and are used to using less water, but the amount of water you get in this hotel is rediculously small.

There was a quote on the walls of our room: "For poetry there exists neither large countries nor small. Its domain is in the heart of all men." This quote is by Giorgos Seferis, but he isn't credited, his name is nowhere to be seen. Besides, I found it to be rather women-unfriendly.

The hotel claims to be technology-oriented. Wifi didn't work for a whole morning! We are in IT and expected wifi to be good and reliable in this hotel, but not so much. Printing in the business center isn't free, only printing of boarding passes is complimentary. Another gadget is the bed. It is an airbed. You choose how soft or hard you like it. The bed basically puts air into the matress to make it harder. We didn't like it much. I think it's better to invest in really good beds.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hotelzoeker
WI
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed at The Domain Hotel recently and found it surprisingly comfortable and attractive.
If you are looking for a "boutique hotel" in this area, the Domain Hotel is a much better choice than the Avante (where we also stayed on this visit) less than a mile away. The lobby is large, airy and inviting, and designed well with large comfortable couches and a lovely water feature that makes it quite inviting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lesmad
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Booked a room for two nights here based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews. To be honest, I was a little underwhelmed. I was paying about twice what "mid-to-low-end" places like Country Inn and Suites were charging, so expected a higher level of quality.

The interior is definitely pretty. They've done a great job with the decor, for sure. The rooms look nice too, but after that, my disappointment set in. When I got to the room, I noticed that there was hair on the bathroom floor, a smear of something sticky on the toilet (I'm trying not to think about it) and someone's razor still on the bathroom counter. Ultimately I try not to be too much of a pain ;-) so decided to ignore it.

When I got back to my room on the second day, housekeeping had definitely come through but there was still hair on the floor. Maybe they just don't clean floors...?

The walls must be paper-thin, because I could hear people walking in the hallways and in the rooms above me. I thought my shower had spontaneously turned itself on at 6 AM and then realized it was the shower next door. Yikes.

Breakfast was nice, but apparently it's $13.95 and for that I was not overly impressed. Coffee/tea/juices/milk, cold cereal, instant oatmeal packets, bread/bagels, and then a few hot dishes like scrambled eggs, bacon, and biscuits. Not bad at all! but definitely not worth $14.

All the staff was very helpful, and the free Wi-Fi was nice, but I'm not sure I would stay here again for the price.

Room Tip: Maybe try a higher floor... I was on first and could hear people walking above me all night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wannabeworldtrekker
Boston
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I've stayed here twice now and found the hotel to be a good, comfortable and clean stay in the Sunnyvale area. The decor is modern and the rooms are clean and adequate for a business traveler. The neighborhood is not very pretty and the property would not appeal to those who judge only from the outside.

The breakfasts are good, not awesome, but standard for business travelers. At night, I ordered the "home made" tortilla chips and guacamole. Not worth the price and rather stale. Stay away from those.

All in all, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This hotel has some very interesting and unique interior design and deco. However, this hotel is pretty spacious and lobby is very large. The sleep number beds were very very comfortable, worth the stay. The location is just perfect if you are visiting the south SF bay area, such as Mt View, San Jose, Sunnyvale, etc but you are about 1 hour drive away from downtown SF. Hotel is located on El Camino Real with all the shopping and asia restaurants within blocks. I did not try the hotel breakfast since it was price at over $12. The heated pool & hot tub was perfect. Statyed 8 days and the room was clean everyday with a special touch like leaving my daughters stuff animal on the pillow bed. The water in the room is not free, cost $3.00 per bottle but just go the the store one block away & buy 12 bottels for $5 and put it in the refrigerator. Parking gargage below the hotel was nice. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rene S
Denver
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Like other Joie de Vivre hotels, this hotel has some very interesting and unique interior design and deco. However, this hotel is pretty spacious and lobby is very large. It is comfortable. The location is just perfect if you are visiting the south SF bay area, such as Mtn View, San Jose, Sunnyvale, etc. It is on El Camino Real with all the shopping and restaurants. Recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
#6 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Cupertino Inn
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 6 in Cupertino

Been to The Domain Hotel? Share your experiences!