“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Location: 7/10 If you have ever been to the Silicon Valley area you will know first hand how hard it is to find a decent hotel. You would think with how "state of the art" the area is that the hotels would be on the same level. Sadly, that is not the case in this area, specifically the Sunnyvale/Cupertino/Palo Alto area. The majority of hotels in these areas are not the greatest nor the greatest hotels you are going to find. There are a few Hiltons around but even they are very limited and their availability is even worse. The location of this hotel is literally directly off the 101 in Sunnyvale and is directly across from the AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) US base for operations. There is another Residence Inn not far some this same location called Sunnyvale 1. The problem with the Sunnyvale 1 location is that its directly across from the 101 highway and is extremely noisy. Other reviews say they recommend that you request a room away from the highway. This location is not nearly as close to the highway as the Sunnyvale 1 location so any room should be acceptable. The location of the hotel provides easy access to all major companies in the surrounding areas (too many too list!).

The Hotel Itself: 7/10 The hotel itself is a typical Silicon Valley hotel although this location has recently been "refreshed" and is on the same level of the Marriott standard. The rooms all have full kitchens, fresh paint and refreshed decor and new furniture in the rooms. The hotel campus itself is in very good condition and is kept in good condition. The hotel staff are very responsive to requests and the check-in and check-out process was smooth with no delays. The only thing I recommend is asking for a room that is on the second floor since the rooms are stacked on top of each other the bottom rooms are going to be very noisy. I even noticed quite a bit of noise from the rooms adjoining me but not anything horrible. At night the rooms are dead quiet and you will get a great nights rest from these rooms. The only thing that could be better is the beds themselves, I found them to be slightly worn and in need of replacement, which I did mention to the front desk staff upon checkout.

There is a nice pool and outdoor tennis/basketball court that appeared to not be used very much. Even during my 2 week stay I never saw anyone use the pool facilities, but I did check it out and confirmed that it was always clean and ready for use. Sadly this location does NOT have a hot tub just a pool. I didnt have to use the on site laundry but be aware that each load of laundry is $1.50 and each dryer session is also $1.50, so bring some money with you if you plan on doing your laundry on an extended stay!

Breakfast/Coffee/Internet Access: 4/10 Part of me thinks that this should probably be even lower then a "4". The Breakfast at Residence Inn's are usually one Marriott's higher quality breakfasts, toted as the complete hot breakfast with complete buffet style options for selection. The problem? The food stinks. Plain and simple we are talking about some of the worst food you can find in a hotel, seriously I have had better food at Fairfield Inns then this Residence Inn. Very upsetting and not what I expected at all considering this is one of the highly toted features of staying at a Residence Inn. The good side of the coin, you have a full kitchen and you can go to the food store and make almost anything in the room which is much better then eating the breakfast in the hotel.

Coffee: Again…. Marriott…..Please….. its time to DUMP BARISTA Bold or whatever its called. Its just junk, its horrible, un-drinkable sad excuse for coffee. Every review I say this and maybe some day someone at Marriott Int't will listen and start getting something better. It doesnt have to be Starbucks (which isnt that great anyway) just something better then Barista Bold junk!

Internet Access: Fail. So let me explain about how the internet works at the Residence Inn and others that set up similarly to this one. Since the facility is completely outside campus they dont have access points that cover the property. Instead there are mini access points in each room, similar to your home wireless setup in each room. Located under each desk is a mini wireless router/dsl modem combo unit. At first your probably thinking, wow this is great, I get my own dedicated internet circuit and dont have to share with anyone else, sadly this is not the case. The internet speeds are horrible we are talking maybe a 1MB/256K DSL speed on a good day. Even after rebooting the system (pulling the power and plugging back in) the system was no better. I even took the liberty to call the "support" number that routes you to a center call center in India where the support person requests your MAC address and remote access webex session to test the speeds and your computer setup. Again, this is a huge FAIL. I used my Mifi device the entire time I was staying here, which by the way, the AT&T service in this area is absolutely horrible in.

Final Words: 7/10
The hotel itself isn't horrible but its not amazing either. I will definitely stay here again but not maybe not in the near future without trying another location first. There are a lot of pro's about this hotel, mostly the fact that you can cook your own meals in the hotel and not have to eat out all of the time, which really does save money in the long run. I would strongly recommend asking for a top floor and definitely a room away from the road if possible, although not a super requirement for this location. Considering the area and its options this may the best and only bet. One word of caution, this hotel is usually booked a month or MORE out, so if you have a trip planned you must book ahead of time of you are not getting a room. I booked a month out and barely got a room and the entire time I was there (2 weeks) the hotel was sold out 100% of the time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway and to be on the top floor.
2 Thank Bella213
Karen M, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and commenting about your stay at our hotel. It is feedback like yours that help us provide a better stay for our guests. We have been working hard the past 2 months to improve our breakfast and meet the needs of our diverse clientele. We would love to talk to you further about the breakfast and ways we could improve. Please don't hesitate to contact myself or Brett Myers, Assistant General Manager.

Happy Travels and we hope to see you again soon.

Karen Mendez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June 2012, and it was a duplex apartment. I must say the infrastructure was innovative and one of its kind. The restaurant food is good (especially breakfast), and we loved the openness of the rooms. The hotel staff was very co-operative and we like the ambience throughout.

1 Thank Sanjaypkothari
, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to comment about your experience at our hotel. The hotel’s exterior set up along with the park like setting gives it a unique feel that our guests love. I am especially happy that you were able to take part in and enjoy the breakfast. I will be sharing your positive comments with our team today.

We hope you see you again soon.

Happy Travels!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have had and will continue to have multiple reasons to stay in the area because of work. I have found that this hotel is probably one of the better ones in the area for an extended stay.

From when Kayla checked me in till I left the following week, I have nothing bad to say about the hotel, nor do I have anything to even think of that was close to bad. The rooms are nice and quite and have modern full size appliances. The rooms are comfortable and quiet, some even have fire places if you want to go out and find logs to burn.

Room Tip: The higher number housing units are farther from the highway and traffic
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank your sharing your positive experience at our hotel. We will be sure to pass along to Kayla and our entire team your kind words. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Happy Traveling,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Hotel has a fireplace, queen size bed, kitchenette, sofa bed, desk, free wireless, free hot breakfast, is close to the 101 freeway, Stanford, and Apple, and was just $101 per night. How can you beat that in Silicon Valley? We were there for 4 nights, and will return next time we are in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandy H
, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I know many people read reviews and take a cue from guests like you. I am glad that you felt that we offered you a home base during your time in the Bay Area. There are so many things to do and see and I am glad you could take advantage of the sites.
We appreciate your kind words we really hope to see you and team next time.

Karen Mendez, General Manager
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We were impressed by this property located conveniently between San Jose and Palo Alto. Easily accessed from the freeway it is situated in a quiet neighborhood of office buildings. Friendly service in the office and being dog friendly is a highlight. The breakfast was very good and we will return the next time we visit the South Bay Area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flextravel
Karen M, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
I am pleased that you enjoyed your time at our hotel. Our staff takes great pride in the service we provide and they will be delighted to hear their efforts are appreciated. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to serve you again soon. -Karen Casalino Mendez, General Manager
Sun City West, Arizona, United States
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We have stayed at the Residence Inn in Palo Alto/Los Altos, Sunnyvale and Sacramento. We have found that the Residence Inn offers the most value and comfort when we travel with our dog.

Room Tip: We prefer the first floor with easy access to the outdoors and to the dining area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Koa_Holoholo
Karen M, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
One of my favorite things about being a General Manager at a Residence Inn is meeting our furry guests. We realize that our pets are an important part of the family and shouldn't be exluded from trips away from home.

We hope to see you (and your dog) again soon!

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I discovered as we were driving there that I had stayed here before, 6+ years ago, on business. I was pleased to find that the rooms had been renovated and didn't feel dated as they had previously. The bed was pretty comfortable, water hot and plentiful. Always important. We used the pull out couch too. A helpful addition when traveling with a child.

The pool was open, heated, outdoor, apparently open year round. Happily, there was a pool toy to borrow from the front desk.

Raving about the breakfast though. The hotel caters to an international crowd, predominately Asian I think. They had a wide variety of options, several steps up from standard included breakfast fare. In addition to the waffles you make yourself and the usual assortment of breads, bagels, and lame pastries, there were eggs, potatoes, sausage, salsa, tortillas and fixin's, granola and yogurt, as well as rice and kim chi! And nori and miso! I made a breakfast burrito and added kim chi for crunch. It was pretty tasty and much more flavorful than the mild salsa. Good stuff! We liked making yogurt and granola and fruit parfaits too, much better than the either sugar-laden or Nutrasweet full yogurts found at many places. The coffee was alright, nice and hot though.

Apparently they serve a complimentary dinner Monday through Thursday. We arrived late on Thursday so didn't check that out. Probably a nice service for their long term business travelers though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank P-and-J-Travel
Karen M, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your stay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the upgrades and new decor package from our recent room renovation. We love showing it off. We hope you and your family visit again soon.

Karen Casalino Mendez