“Great set up! Check you won't be next to 101”

Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in a 2 bedroom studio as we wanted to spend some time in silicon valley. When we travel as a family Residence Inns are our favourite hotels, because they allow us to watch tv, or make a coffee while everyone else sleeps soundly. Added to that the great breakfast that sets you up for the day and you have a winning combination. Our room was a little too close to 101 as I was woken up early in the morning by the trucks on the freeway.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sdwoo
Tianna S, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

I want to THANK YOU for taking the time to post this valuable review regarding your experience here at our Residence Inn by Marriott Sunnyvale Silicon Valley 1. We are glad you and your family enjoyed the facility to include the amenities we offer.

We thank you for your business and we hope to see you in a near future.

Best regards,

Hugo Hernandez

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Good:
This is a great hotel if you need lots of space, some separation from kids, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, living room with stylish décor and automatic lights in the bathroom! (an awesome feature)
Breakfast was decent with some hot options and changing daily. The evening reception was ok, some nights good others, not so much but it's free! =)

The Bad:
However, a word of caution if you have little kids, the stairs to the bedroom upstairs are steep, the carpet is patterned (tricking your eye) and a little slippery. My 11 year old slipped coming down them and hurt his leg pretty bad. I also have one that sleep walks and it made me a little nervous having the stairway entrance between the bed and the bathroom.

Another annoyance was the leaves all over the steps outside our door for the entire week.

Lack of any balcony or outdoor area to sit.

The Ugly:

Horrible internet, basically didn't work!

My husband was in town on business so me and the kids came along to lounge by the pool. We had looked at the pictures of the hotel when we booked and it showed a pool and lounge chairs and even said there was a hot tub. (this was on Hotwire) When we arrived we found a very small pool area right on the road with no lounge chairs! There were tables and regular chairs. The pool was dirty, small and very cold. This was very frustrating! The front desk even admitted the ad was wrong stating they have a hot tub and they don't. To their credit they offered to let me go down the road to their other hotel that "might" have lounge chairs. Not quite what I had in mind for my week of sunbathing and swimming.

A great hotel for the business traveler, not so great if they family comes with them for pool time.

Room Tip: ask if some rooms have better internet access.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Tianna S, Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is through comments such as yours that we are able work at improving our hotel and guests overall experience. For future reference, we do offer child safety gates for our Penthouse Suites available upon request. Furthermore, we have placed an order for new pool lounge chairs and hope that next time you stay with us you’ll be able to relax comfortably in the summer sun!

Regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here for two days, The room provided has everything in it to live by yourself. Kitchen has all the basic stuff to cook your own meal. Though they offer a complementary breakfast and social meal in the evening. I liked the breakfast options but complimentary meal wasn't that good as compare to breakfast. I am a vegetarian so didn't had a much options.
Rooms were clean and room service has taken care while I was away. Staff were helpful. They have free drop in the morning if you don't want to drive to nearby offices.

Over all a really great experience

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Tianna S, Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We strive to meet the expectations that many have come to expect from Marriott hotels. I’m glad we had the opportunity to be your choice hotel while traveling to the area; we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Thanks,

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed for almost two weeks here and it was overall a very positive experience.

The room was clean, nicely decorated and complete.Well, almost. More on that later.

The kitchen has everything you need to prepare your own warm meals. The fridge is big enough to store a sufficient quantity of food. The bed is large and very comfortable. The bathroom is adequate and the water pressure in the shower/bathtub is sufficient. There is also enough storage space. There is a work desk, but the adjustable chair is not very comfortable. It is an old style office chair and I found it too low. I couldn't adjust it high enough and the back side is too low. It would be better to replace it by a higher and more adjustable chair. The sofa provides a comfortable way to watch TV on the large LCD screen, but it is a little too close to the screen I think.

The room had Wi-Fi, but this is ready for improvement. Especially during peak hours in the evening and morning the line got unstable and slow. It is not worthy the reputation of a Marriott hotel to provide this kind of very average service. And we're in the heart of Silicon Valley after all.

The breakfast buffet is extensive and the staff works really hard to keep tables clean and make sure there is never a shortage of food items. Kudos to them!

Monday through Thursday evening there is a complimentary happy hour from 6:00-7:30pm. Simple, but nice warm food and a salad are offered. Every day something different and very suitable if you don't feel like going out for dinner somewhere else. Drinks, including beer and wine, are for free as well.

There is a small business corner with 2 PCs and a printer. Very convenient for a small print-out for example.

The outdoor pool is a bit of a joke. Other than for infants it is way too small. It is nice to sit there and relax, but other than dipping your toe in the water there isn't much space for anything else.

The gym is also really small and has running equipment only. It is so small that I noticed people using it opened the door. I guess it gets smelly and warm quickly in there.

So, why did I suggest there is room for improvement other than the things mentioned above already?

To start with, the rooms don't have a luggage rack anymore. Excuse me? How long has Marriott been in the hotel business and why do they think we don't need a luggage rack for a suitcase? I will not put my suitcase on the floor and ended up using a fancy kind of footrest to put my suitcase on. Surprising to say the least.

Although this is extended stay, they charge $US 2 for one laundry run and another $US 1.50 for the dryer. Pretty expensive if you just want to wash your shirt after a long day in the office. I think this should be covered in the room rate.

The breakfast time is too short during week days. It is from 6:30am until 9:00am and that is too early to stop. Maybe also the start time is too late, but in any case 9:00 is early if you don't need to be somewhere very early in the day. I think it should be extended to at least 9:30am.

Overall I had a very pleasant stay and the staff was really friendly. If the above mentioned issues are addressed it would be a 5 star ranking.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelOften4B

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is through comments such as yours that we are able work at improving our hotel and guests overall experience. We realize that you have a plethora of hotels to choose from when traveling to the Bay Area and we thank you for choosing us!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is the first week of 2 months that we will be staying at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Sunnyvale.

While this is a Generation 1 hotel I was very surprise to see the quality of accommodations, the room is clean, spacious with a fully equipped kitchen. The property is freeway accessible, clean, manicured landscaping with all the modern conveniences.

The BEST part is the STAFF, from the Front Desk; Jennifer and Ian, Engineering Rueben, Breakfast and Housekeeping is just AMAZING-they will go out of their way to make your stay MOST ENJOYABLE.

If you are staying for business or pleasure this is the place to be! Well worth the extra dollars spent for an awesome breakfast, social reception comp wine and beer, spacious accommodations all included with a personalized service.

They also accept pets which is a plus and provides doggy bags with the perfect area to walk your dog’s throughout the day.

Room Tip: Try a Penthouse facing the South, more sun in your room, for internet junkies try a room with a har...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank John L

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We work very hard to meet the expectations that many have come to expect from Marriott hotels and I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Moreover, thank you for recognizing our associates; it’s a great boost of encouragement when our team receives accolades from our guests! Hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,
Assistant General Manger

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is an adorable hotel. Well, it's more like a village than a hotel, with lots of "houses" which have the rooms within them, the houses are connected by walkways. There's a lovely walk alongside the lake and ponds and a chance to feed the ducks. The free breakfast is the best I have experienced in the bay area. The heated outdoor pool is great to sit by and enjoy some sun and relaxation. Two criticisms; the WiFi barely worked in our room in building 8, and the pool loungers need replacing because they are sagging and ripped. Management take note. Otherwise, a wonderful place whether on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Terry H

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for bringing this important service/amenity issue to our attention. It is through comments such as yours that we are able work at improving our hotel and our guests overall experience. We have placed an order for new pool lounge chairs and hope that next time you stay with us you’ll be able to relax comfortably in the summer sun!

Best regards,

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This place is incredible for a corporate long-term stay or as a place to consider when you need a hotel for several weeks (or months) while they are rebuilding your house.

It doesn't get better than this facility and staff.

Sure, you can read about what a Residence Inn offers "Anywhere, USA", but what sets this place off is THE INCREDIBLE STAFF.

From the AGM, Tianna to the Operations Manager, Jennifer... you feel comfortable the moment you arrive. And if there is anything amiss or anything you need - they want to know!

Front Desk staff with Ian, Stephanie, Jennifer, Ramon, Martha, JR and others just simply do what it takes to make your visit all the more friendly and work to understand your interests and needs. They have a great sense of humour and are just fantastic individuals.

And, the hot breakfast in the morning is really quite incredible! The food quality is excellent. The variety is amazing. and if one gets a little creative after 2-3 weeks, you can work to combine some of the items in ways you never would have considered otherwise. All this while reading the local - national - WSJ over breakfast and watching the morning news on a big screen! How good is that? Plus, the Breakfast staff is incredible with the preparation of the food, keeping it refreshed, and even bussing whatever dirty plates you have or asking if you would like a refresh on your coffee or juice. I have been to my share of "breakfast included with stay" hotels, and even the best don't take care of me like this.

Similarly, this location offers a "light dinner" M-Th evenings with Beer and Wine. The light dinner is dinner. Make no bones about it. Sure, it's not Prime Rib every night, but the food is filling and the atmosphere is fun.

This past week when I was there, they celebrated Chinese New Year, Fat Tuesday - Mardi Gras and Valentine's Day with great decorations and fanfare. It was great to experience this when one is away from home. And, by definition, every guest was away from home!

Hot Coffee - tea, fresh fruit and fresh baked cookies can be found in the lobby. The coffee is excellent and if you're not a coffee drinker, there are a variety of quality teas! No bags of Lipton here!

And for those that need to print something out, they provide a couple of computers with a laser printer. Perfect for those hardcopies when one isn't at the office. Be real, no one travels with a printer, and having this laser printer available around the clock has saved me time and allowed me to review things on paper, print maps, etc. I actually found myself working on the computers adjoining the front lobby more than I thought. The large screens were great for working spreadsheets... versus my 15 inch or so screen on my laptop in my room.

The pool was warm and wonderful.

The housekeeping staff came by daily to not only do the beds and towels, but to replenish the coffee, microwave popcorn, dishwashing-dishwasher soaps that one used. Yeah, microwave popcorn every night !!

In the time I spent there, it was a little like a home away from home.

Comfortable and friendly comes to mind when I think of this location.

Highly recommend if you have friends or relatives in the area over a weekend. The prices are highly competive with local hotels. The rooms are larger and more comfortable. Your car is parked pretty much just outside your room.

And, they get a hot breakfast too!

This place is incredible. And I have traveled and stayed "everywhere" in the US at hotels across the US.

It takes quite a bit for me to say this, but if I had to stay for more than 4 days in a "hotel" - I would simply skip the hotel and come right to this place.

Book early though. This place is like at 100% occupany during the weekdays, but a killer deal for a giant 2-level suite for about $100 or so on the Fri and Sat nights.

Heck, if you bring a good sized family, you can subsidize hald the price of the room by feeding the family the free breakfast downstairs!

Perfect for that weekend Great America Park getaway with the family or friends.

I highly recommend!

Room Tip: The STAFF is incredible. They know the area and can help by offering suggestions or routes, places...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family