“Worst Hotel ever seen from Marriott”

Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Chicago
“Worst Hotel ever seen from Marriott”
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Lack of everything - Avoid

This hotel has almost 200 Suites but the common facilities are rare. Employees and cleaners are less, small gym and swimming pool. lack of eating stuff in breakfast, shuttle service never available if required, on the expressway and hence lot of noise.

In the breakfast area things are not available. Manager and the breakfast lady told everyone that only 2 milk packets are allowed per person and they circulated a paper for the same. Internet is pathetic and home for viruses.

Since there are so many people the small swimming pool and Gym are always busy and you never get a place.

Each cleaners has 20 (yes 20 rooms) rooms to clean and hence they are always in a hurry and forget/leave the vacuuming.

In one words totally AVOID this hotel

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank lisamadry123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 8, 2008

These guys have been great, I've been here at the Residence Inn for a bit over a week now and I'm very satisfied. The room itself is the standard Residence Inn room, no surprises here. A bit of extra space, comfy bed, basic kitchen. The staff here has been very friendly, and I have to say the housekeeping staff does an excellent job. Unlike other "extended stay" hotels nearby these guys come in and at least freshen the room every day, run the dishwasher for you, empty the trash, replace the towels. This is greatly appreciated, as houskeeping seems to be the first thing that other hotels cut back on to save money. A few other finer points that I really like here:

- No big nasty comforter on the bed, its a relatively light linen blanket thingy. Its warm and comfortable and has obviously been washed recently.
- Laundry room is large, clean, and has modern and well-maintained equipment.
- Internet is wireless, free, and very fast. Big kudos here, this is another area where everybody else seems to skimp.

I'd definitely stay here again, these guys are doing a great job and pay attention to the details.

On a previous stay I had one of the "Penthouse" suites which is actually just a two-level suite with a bit more room and I have to say I wasn't impressed. Its considerably more money for the room and it seemed a bit more run down and drab, I'm not quite sure why. Despite that I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — great housekeeping staff, very clean
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank zonker77
Toronto
Reviewed December 25, 2007

What I can say about this hotel are: excellent, fantastic, incredible.

We booked this hotel via Marriott.com and based on everyone reviews and I have to say that everyone is right - the service is top notch, the room is magnificent and the staff are professional.

We (4) booked a penthouse for our anniversary and Christmas and when we arrived to our room there are a gift basket and balloonswaiting for us in our room.

I had called the hotel concierge ahead of time to request a room with nice view to impress my family especially my husband and we didn't expect with their surprise like this. The room is so beautiful for 4 of us and closed to everything and anything you need during your holidays. I have been a regular guest of Marriott for many many years and I have never had anything bad to say about their service especially this time in California and we will continue to stay with Marriott wherever we go and you should.

We want to thank the Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I for making our Christmas so wonderful and we will come back in the near future.

Keep up a good service as you do.

BuiNguyen's family

• Liked — quiet, closed to freeway and restaurants
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank AnnieToronto
TX
Reviewed December 16, 2007

I stayed in this hotel twice on my business trip. The first time my room was just a regular suite downstair. The second time was a penthouse suite. The regular room was actually better than the penthouse. It was cleaner. The penthouse, even though it was pricey, looked a little bit worn out and not as clean as the regular room. I expected to see a better quality room in a penthouse but I was disappointed. The furniture looked older and the appliance looked worn out. On top of that, they didn't seem to clean the dishes. I saw hair on the dishes!

The bathtub also drained very slow for both the regular and penthouse suites. The hotel didn't seem to have enough hot water for every room in the morning. I ended up taking a shower in cold water. The bathtub drain plug also closed by itself several times every time I took a shower, so I had to reach down and opened it several times during the shower.

The housekeeper didn't seem to pay attention to small details. During my stay, they forgot to leave soap, shampoo and conditioner several days in a row. I had to go to the front desk to get them. It was very inconvenient to go out from the room at the end of a long day just to get them! When I went to the front desk to get them, they didn't even say sorry for my inconvenience.

The only best thing about this hotel is the breakfast. It was the best breakfast I had at any hotels because of the varieties. They had waffles, pancakes, donuts, scrambled eggs, sausage, etc.

Overall, I will not go back to stay at this hotel. I like a clean room and they failed to provide that. The housekeeping service was also terrible.

• Liked — Breakfast, location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, housekeeping service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank 123Tx
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 6, 2007

The room was great. It had two beds - one in a loft. sak for a place away from the highway because it faces the freeway. The breakfast was well done- it's a serve yourself continental style but well covered by staff. They have highspeed internet across the hotel. Paid close to 200.00 a night. Seemed pricey for a Residence Inn-but the room was beautiful. We'd return.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank qualtyk9
Rehoboth Beach, De
Reviewed July 16, 2007

I stayed at the Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I for a week in early July and would absolutely stay there again.

I booked 3 rooms for a total of 12 people staying for an event held in San Jose. I chose this Residence in for it's convenience to Great America Theme Park and a nice strip-mall (Mercado) with lots of food choices for a big group (Starbucks, Jamba Juice, a Wraps place, a Sushi place...). The other Residence Inn (number II) is only five minutes away so if this place is booked don't hesitate to go there.

A quick breakdown: The staff was excellent with a manager always within site of the front desk. The grounds were clean and under constant supervision by cleaning and maintenance personal. The breakfast was a-w-e-s-o-m-e with several options including eggs and breakfast meat plus fresh-made waffles, fresh fruits, granola and yogurt... something for everyone for sure. Even hot oatmeal with raisins, walnuts and brown sugar to mix-in on your own.

In the lobby they have a computer and printer for anyone's use and our rooms high-speed access (free!) was very fast the whole week. You can get coffee all day and free local and national newspapers.

The rooms were outstanding, too! When the kids walked in they actually said "Woooooowwwww" out loud. The loft is fantastic with plenty of privacy, a TV, and its own bathroom. The main floor master bedroom was very large and comfortable with a clean bathroom, its own TV, and a large desk by the windows.

One nice bonus for the kids was the sport-court with a basketball hoop and tennis net. We grabbed a ball at Target (about 10 minutes away) and had a blast all week!

Note: some rooms had balconies and faced a nice inner courtyard. Ours did not - and I didn't mind - but I would ask for one if you can.

Last (and this is a very small thing) the front desk has directions to a number of places but I got lost using theirs more than once - bring a computer an go online or bring a GPS if you can.

Enjoy!

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank diverjs
California
Reviewed August 14, 2006

Extremely quick and easy check-in. Asked for extra pillows and received them with a smile. Lobby has 2 computer stations with internet. Great breakfast buffet, that included sausage, scrambled eggs, waffles, juices, bagels, cereal and oatmeal, etc. Breakfast area was much larger than most and the staff was very friendly. The only complaints I heard about breakfast were from the guests who arrived 20 minutes after breakfast was over and demanded food. No fault on hotels part.
The room had new carpet and was very clean (bathtub was spotless). Rooms were very quiet , even with dozens of small children staying on the property. There were 2 adults and a teenager in our room. The queen bed was extremely comfortable and our son had no problem fitting on the sofa sleeper. Asked for directions and recommendations on several occasions and the staff was very prompt and helpful with tips and directions. Would recommend and will stay again.

2 Thank socal59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II
Hilton Santa Clara
Hilton Santa Clara
#1 of 32 in Santa Clara
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,231 reviews

Been to Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I? Share your experiences!