“Try to avoid this motel”

Days Inn & Suites Sunnyvale
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Los Angeles, California
“Try to avoid this motel”
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I was advised to stay in the Sheraton hotel nearby but it was sold out, so I picked the Sundowner Inn as it was located near to my business meeting and I would only be there for one night.

The person, I can't bring myself to call him a gentleman, at the desk when I checked in was on the rude side of brusque and has obviously never been made aware of concepts like customer service. He was also difficult to understand. The lady at the desk in the morning was much more friendly and offered me free coffee but I just wanted to get away.

The room itself was clean and the Internet access was stable, albeit slow but the nearby highway is noisy at night and motorbikes and trucks can be heard right at the back of the room.

This is definitely not the worst place I have stayed at in the USA but I would put it in the bottom third.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
ckshah, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this review, February 19, 2011
Thank you for your criticism. I have personally looked in to your situation. I like to suggest if you ever believe in second chance please let me show you the best of best hospitality we like our guest to experience. For the guest comfort we offer several complimentary amenities such as full breakfast, WIFI, hard wire internet service in the room as well as business center in the lobby. We have reinforced our customer service personnel training identifying your comments as an example for them to learn from. I apologize that you were subjected to the experience that you were. I have taken your comments very seriously and have started monitoring employee behavior. We have multi cultural staff and some of them are foreign students.Please allow us to show you best part of our hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Okay, it truly doesn't even get one star, but I had to put something to write this review. This is the honest truth. My husband and I travel a lot for business and were both in the Bay at the same time. We try to never stay at anything less than a 4star (for the following reason), but this was all that was available because Oracle was holding their convention at the Moscone and everything was all booked.

Anyway, so one evening on the way back to this dump of a motel, I stopped to pick up dinner figuring that my husband and I would eat at the dump. I put our food out on the table and sat down with my husband to watch a football play on TV, we both heard somethng and looked towards the table to find a rat on top of the table nibbling on our meat. I was so totally grossed out.

To make matter worse, the darned rat wasn't scared of us and just stayed there eating away. I hurried and called the man at the front who told me that he didn't have anyone that could help me. I told him that he needed to do something immediately or I would go knock on each door and let the rest of his customer's know to watch for rats. He had the nerve to show up at my door yelling at me and accusing me of letting the rat in through the door! I coulnd't believe what I was experiencing. Needless to say, I left his hotel and went to stay in Newark - totally inconvenient but at a nice brand named hotel. This place is a total dump and I did report them to the board of health.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Patria
Thank you for your input and I sincerely apologize for the mishap. We fumigate and carefully monitor the premises. Professional pest control company regularly treats the property. Your experience has made us double up our effort to avoid the mistake. Please give us a second chance to show you our hospitality.

Travelers are raving about these Sunnyvale hotels

Trivandrum, India
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I found this hotel through a net search and booked for a week of stay as part of a business trip. Reached there at about 9.00 PM and have to wait for a while to see somebody at the reception ! The property is quiet large, but very deserted. Not many people were there when I stayed there.

Room was very large. But the carpet was very dusty and after a while I started sneezing beacuse of the dust problem. The entire property is unclean and the lack of proper maintenence is very obvious. Next day I found out another accomodation and checked out !

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cleanliness, carpet, break fast, reception
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
SF bay area
Reviewed July 4, 2009

I enjoyed my stay. Rooms have a refrigerator and microwave. Staff was very helpful. Great rates. I will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Nederland
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We've stayed here for one night, arriving around 10pm. The staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean, spacious and contain desk, tv, fridge. Free wireless internet is available. The beds, desk, cabinet and carpet looked nice without any stains.

Nice pool area. Breakfast was included and turned out to be very good (buffet style including hot stuff). It was quiet at night, but there didn't seem to be as many guests compared to the other motels we stopped by to do some price comparison. We weren't aware of all the negative reviews here on tripadvisor, that might be a reason, but our experience is totally different. We would stay here again and can recommend it to anyone.

Also, what I don't understand is that some reviewers list their compliants here on tripadvisor, but their post doesn't show if they have taken any action while staying at the motel to get it fixed which is what I would have done.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 11, 2008

It is a Motel/Inn style. You walk from your room right into the parking lot. For the first couple nights, there was a small crowd of college aged kids, guys and girls, playing around at 10:00pm with an American football in the parking lot, drinking booze, and displaying wild behavior. Not exactly a family environment.

The room is large and it has all the core conveniences but it is all dated. The room also smells like was cleaned but my white socks looked filthy after just a few steps on that carpet. However, the TV set is new and they offer a good selection of cable channels. The Wi-Fi connection was flaky at 60% signal strength. My room was located by a busy road. By 6:00am I could hear cars going by...

I stayed at the Sundowner for 4 nights. It was a business trip for me, so I was just looking for a place to crash. But next time I will likely look for better place.

• Liked — Location was close to work
  • Disliked — Noise, poor internet service, carpet cleaness, old furniture
  • Stayed August 2008
everywhere
Reviewed June 17, 2008

This place was rated a 3 star hotel on Orbitz, which is grossly overstated. It is a decaying one star motel at best. It was clean, I'll give it that, but the furniture in the room was old and worn, the carpet had stains, and the appliances were from like 1972. The on-premises "gym" had ancient equipment which was far from safe. Management was not friendly and they seemed busy putting out fires from guest complaints. Not too many happy campers at the Sundowner Inn. Don't be fooled by inflated star ratings from Orbitz and the like.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the fact that I almost had to sue the hotel to get my money refunded
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business