“Days Inn (sundowner) Review”

Days Inn & Suites Sunnyvale
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at this property September 29-Oct1st

On arrival check-in was fair

Was given a decent room with a love seat and table

Room was clean and well appointed

I had two phones and neither worked

Room had ethernet plug and worked fine

Had a large tv and not the newer flat screens

There was a wedding reception Saturday night
They were loud until late in the night and took up all the guest parking
by morning the area around the reception hall was trashed

Sunday afternoon started off well until a foreign tour group arrived
I was lucky enough to have some of them in the room next to me

Banging on there door / unruly in the pool / cigarette butts outside there room door and they trashed the room for the maids to clean up

The only place to eat close was some greek place

Had to drive miles to get something to eat

Breakfast was decent but weekend breakfast starts at 8 am? (7am minimum)
weekday start was better at 6 am

This property is for the most part fairly nice after all the chaos is cleaned up

I guess this place makes money off tours and such and not much on decent guests

O ya trash dumpster in center of hotel rooms overflowing

In closing this property is one of those old school hotels with exterior doors but needs help with guests comfort.

I not not think I will stay here again unless they clean-up these tour groups and such.

I think Days Inn corporate should reconsider have this property bearing there name

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has the newer flat screen tv's or do not stay here And never if a tour gr...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
ckshah, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for your feed back. We take your input very seriously and use it to improve the operation. Foreign groups do select our hotel and poses challenge to the property. We have instructions printed in multiple languages and we hand them out when the group is checking in. We have noticed that some of the groups at night our time (It is midday their time) like to visit other members and they mistakenly knock on different rooms. We have designated smoking area and they are suppose to follow. Property is going through renovation and upgrade in ammenities and some rooms are in process of getting flat screen tv. We have Greek restaurant adjecent to the property however within one mile radius we have four star restaurants and also fast food restaurants Hotel staff tries very hard to manage wedding groups when ever they are unruly please inform the front desk. We truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This property has clean rooms with most rooms having newer beds. Beds were comfortable. Morning continental breakfast was very disappointing to fair depending on the day of the week. This property is stop for many foreign tours so when tours fill the property it is very difficult to get into continental breakfast. Like many hotels in the area, there is little to no provision for day sleepers such as myself who work night shifts. Very average property that was convienient in location for a travel shift assignment.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I ever stayed in this hotel several times before and had good impression, I just knew this hotel name was changed from Sundowner to Days Inn about 6 months ago, but the service quality became worse than before. The cleaning service ladies knocked at my door around 8:00am in the first 2 days, they are doing the CATV system upgrading, even I put "do not disturb" sign out, they still knocked my door at 10am. I stayed on the first floor, the noise from the 2nd floor really bothered me. Moreover, the phone in that room was not working. I requested to change the room a few days later.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor would be quiter
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
ckshah, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

We sincerely apologize for the error made by our staff. Hotel is going through renovation. We are going to change TVs to 40 inch flat screen TV in every room. We are bringing stateof the art TV viewing capability by providing more free channels and lower cost pay per view movies. To do all this we had to rewire the hotel. Subcontractors are given strict instruc tions to avoid any discomfort to the guests. I assure you that in coming month we will have new mattresses, new furiture and flooring for your comfort. Please come back and seeme at the time you make your reservation and I will try very hard to meet your requirements.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Started of good but came back one day and our room had been moved around with no notice. They were able to fix the problem right away. It's quiet, slept good through the night. They also have good breakfast. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you for your input. We are going through major upgrade at the property and the front desk, housekeeping and maintenance personnel took extra effort to inform every guest about this. we apologize for not contacting you. We truly appreciate you staying with us and next time please come and see us. We like to learn about your valued input.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I cannot adequately express how customer unfriendly this place is. While I was here I wittnessed 3 long term customers cancel numerous future reservations because of the lack of customer service and amenities provided by other hotels. I would stay 30 miles out of town if this was the only motel available. It took aalmost 30 minutes for 2 people to check in with reservations. The majority of the front desk staff have one response to everything - "we do not do that" and "I do not know how to give you that information".

The Days Inn "A Promise As Sure As the Sun", while posted in to place in the loby, has undoubtedly never been read or understood by the management. To start with clean rooms, although adequate the rugs have probably never been cleaned because the manager is too cheap to purchase the equipment necessary to clean the carpets. While the website says that they have shuttles to the local airports, it is a lie - the will hire a service which cost you $30. Even though they have 2 vans, the owner's wife stated that the permit was too expensive.

The folder that contains your room key when you check in states "Complimentary Guest Reception: Hours 5:30 to 7:00pm Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday." When questioned as to why that was't available I was emphatically told "We don't do that!" When the manage came out and I showed him the folder he offered me "a small glass of beer".

The management is not prepared to ensure an exceptional stay or resolve any situation. He is only interested in providing himself with a maximum income.

We complained about the food and it did improve. The lady working the kitchen was doing a tremendous job with little support form the management. Even though the brochure says the weekend times are 7:00 to 11:00, they are really only 8:00 to 10:00 to save money. The little room only sit about 30, but with 20 there is little room to get to the food. The Saturday I was there had about 50 people (many of the children) trying to get something to eat.

When the manager found out that I had complained to Wyndahm about the service , he told me that he wanted me to get out of his hotel and he did not need my business. This was in front of a couple who were there to preview a room. At the same time he also infomed me that it would cost $.25 per page to print at the business center and refused to give me paper for the printer without money in advance.

I could continue for another page of so, but I think I have made my points.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank AFA71
ckshah, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for your comments, they help us to improve our service.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

For a low cost hotel, you get your money's worth ..... There is a great staff, very dedicated to the satisafying any needs the guests might have. The rooms are well maintained, the front desk is very courteous and professional, and the breakfast staff top shelf.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

We appreciate your opinion on our great staff and breakfast. We look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I had a bad experience that probably won't be as bad for you. But there are some things to be aware of. I definitely will not stay here in the future.

I got in real late on a Sunday night. Monday morning heading to my car, I see one cop car stationed in the parking lot and another patrolling the parking lot. I realized it was not a good sign, so I put my valuable in my trunk although I left toiletries and such behind. Also of note, I always put up the do not disturb sign and had done so that morning. I worked a long day and came home at 9:30. When I entered my room, they had checked me out and taken all of my stuff (even with a do not disturb sign). It took a little under an hour to get my stuff back. Night staff told me something would be done for me in the morning to compensate me for the inconvenience. When I went to check out the lady behind the desk was rather indifferent and said there was nothing she could do. She said the owner or manager or someone would call me, but I never received a phone call. So if they inconvenience you or you have a bad experience, they do absolutely nothing.

On my return trip to my room, I noticed another cop car stationed in the parking lot. I decided to talk to the cop to get his feel for the hotel. He did mention similarly priced hotels will give a similar experience. He also confirmed the high heels I heard on the stairs at one in the morning was possibly prostitution and was not uncommon at this hotel. So more or less "you get what you pay for." I paid $60 a night and it was rated at $80 (according to Expedia). For $90 you can get a MUCH nicer hotel.

I was in room 155 which is at the other end form the main desk (the hotel is shaped like a U). I definitely heard the freeway loud and clear the whole time in my room. Other rooms further back might not hear it as much as mine did though. Also plenty of people were outside smoking when I arrived on Monday night. Since nicer hotels have rooms that you get to from a hallway you don't have people smoking right in front of their rooms. Also there were holes in my sheets (rather large ones at the foot of the bed) and the drain in the sink was missing the grate covering. Not a big deal except you look down and notice the big wad of hair and stuff that is not yours. Really not a very good hotel. Even for $60, it isn't worth staying there. Spend a little more and stay in a nicer hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at a nicer hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jason225
ckshah, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thank you for your comments, we regret that your experience at our facility did not meet your lodging needs while staying in Silicon Valley. We appreciate your valued comments of your experience it helps us train and improve for future guests experiences.