“You need to try”

Gombei Bento
Ranked #163 of 382 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: Japanese, Fast Food
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Found the place I will be eating everytime I am in town. Great food and the staff was great. You need to try this place.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Inexpensive, fast, good Japanese food. It’s not fancy & I enjoyed my #5 plate lunch. It’s a good value for the $$; the friendly owner is very efficient in that he begins taking orders while folks are in line; you get a number, pay & take a seat. Most folks were ordering their lunch to go.
My order: #5 = beef yakiniku & shrimp tempura. ($8.50 + tax) The sauce is lighter than teriyaki, not as sweet w/a touch of garlic. I enjoyed it + to my surprise, the shrimp tempura was nicely done, light & not greasy. I have had better but I paid far more for it. There were pieces of vege tempura as well as salad w/dressing, fried rice & some kind of mixed vege side that looked like mashed potatoes but wasn’t. I wasn’t too thrilled w/it, could be an acquired taste. Not sure if they’ll take substitutions, I didn’t ask but might next time. At their prices & efficiency, I’m not complaining if they don’t allow substitutions. That said, they have a plate lunch menu that obviously works well for them & serves a specific niche: good, fast food. Reminds me of plate lunches in Hawaii.

The tofu made fresh daily is delicious. When the owner brought my lunch, I politely commented about the home made tofu. He explained that they make it for the larger Gombei restaurant but that it can only be bought at this one. He asked me @ my preference for tofu (cold, fried, stir fried...) & I commented that I enjoy them all. Guess it was clear that this was my 1st visit because to my surprise he brought me out a “taste” of cold tofu which was easily half a block of the tofu that they sell. It was served cold w/thin sliced green onion, shaved dried bonito on top; sliced & presented as if I was in a more expensive Japanese restaurant. They also have a container of soy milk that you can have free samples of.

So nothing fancy, but if you’re in the area, on a budget or just want a fast, good plate lunch then Gombei Bento can’t be beat.