“Outstanding food, decent resteraunt”
Review of Lion & Compass

Lion & Compass
Ranked #33 of 397 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of Fair Oaks Avenue and Weddell Drive
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had a business team dinner here. Food was outstanding and varied. Nice menu with lots of choices. I had the venison in plum wine stir fry, outstanding! We shared a number of appetizers, all very nice. Goat cheese salad also very good. Not many resteraunts in this area with this quality of food. Only downside was the price, a bit high.... Ambience is o.k. Reasonable but better for larger groups, not super for a couple.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Not often I've had an excellent dinner worthy of raving about, but the food at the L&C was superb. I had the lamb which was outstanding - I mean, seriously outstanding. The portions of meat were large and not the normal couple of ribs. The glaze was full of flavour and rich without being overpowering. The greens and accompanying items were very well done and presented.

Decent beer and wine selection also. Will definitely return.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Lion and Compass is a very pricey restaurant in Silicon Valley, with dinner entree prices ranging from $20 to $40. Filet Mignon is $39, New York Steak is $38, Crusted Chilean Sea Bass is $34, Full Rack of Lamb is $38. I use the entertainment.com coupon for $24 off, or the restaurant.com certificate for $25 off when going to this restaurant. The place is only open on weekdays, and caters to business lunches and dinners.

My wife had a full rack of lamb, medium rare, while I had the salmon with shrimp and potstickers entree for $26. The salmon was prepared with a wine sauce that complimented the otherwise lack of fish flavor. This was definitely a farm raised salmon and not a wild salmon. The shrimp and potstickers had distinct tastes to make up for the shortcomings of the salmon. My wife liked her dish, but I didn't think the meal was worth the final price of $64, before taxes, tip, and coupon discount. BTW they did not puncn my entertainment card, so I can use it again.

You are paying for the ambiance of the restaurant, which has a garden setting, sunshine through the mediterranean style windows, white table cloths, and candle lights by the tables. No music, and no curtains, with plenty of noise from talking resonating off the hardwood floors. A good place to entertain a client and resolve business agreements.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband wanted to take me here as he remembered it fondly for business luncheons years ago.It was nice to actually sit somewhere quiet where we could hear each other talk.The decor felt dated but I liked the plants in the entryway. I ordered the Thai Shrimp Papaya Salad.They were out of Papaya and substituted Mango. Presentation was beautiful however one of the shrimp had an off taste but enjoyed the flavors. I had the special,Red Snapper. The Snapper was good but the sauce they had swirled over it was awful. The potatoes were a mushy ball and since the sauce was also on the green beans I didn't eat them. My husband had the Beef Vegtable Soup and the Sea Bass. He very much enjoyed his meal and finished it off with a pastry ice cream dessert. The service was Ok. I tried a Pisco Sour and would have ordered a glass of the same wine my husband had but the waiter never returned until later. Also after we received the bill we had to take it to the waiter as he never came back to our table and at that time there was only one other table.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Lion & Compass is an unassuming gem in an unusual location for a restaurant of its caliber.

You could easily miss it on busy Fair Oaks Avenue, though its bright red lighted sign may catch your attention as you whiz by in your hotrod!

If you look carefully, on a busy day you might catch a glimpse of some pretty fancy cars in the parking lot, which should tip you off that this establishment caters to an upscale clientele.

As I was told, L&C was a popular hang-out for the Info Tech crowd during the heyday of the Internet boom. Steve Jobs is reported to have eaten here.

The building has the look of a gracious charming single family home with an expansive lot. It fits in well with the surrounding residential neighborhood and office park.

The food could be categorized as casual
American/European style. It is carefully prepared and graciously (and stylishly) served. This reviewer, a vegetarian, was not disappointed with the selection and the flavor of the food, including the pasta farfarelle and the delicious bread.

If you don't mind spending a little more than what it would cost you in the average Sunnyvale restaurant, you won't be disappointed. And don't forget the tantalizing desserts. I tried the creme brûlée! Delicious!

Word of caution: Not open on Saturdays or Sundays.

1  Thank HarryJ202