“Very Nice”
Review of Il Postale

Il Postale
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Postale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 377 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Santa Clara, California
“Very Nice”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was actually our second time eating here, we were here probably 3 or 4 years ago with a small group. I really don't recall what we had, but I do remember we really had a fabulous time. This time both my husband and I started out with some really yummy martini's, I had the pom martini and my husband had the caramel apple, they both were very good, they were not stingy with the booze. I had the seafood risotto and my husband had the linguine with chicken and sausage and a bunch of other yummy stuff. The food was awesome, the ceasar dressing was really good and our main dishes were wonderful. We had brought our own bottle of wine, which of course was fabulous! We even had dessert, my husband had the vanilla gelato puff with chocolate sauce and I had the raspberry cheesecake, everything was wonderful! We went on a Thursday night, it was very quite and not very packed, but I enjoyed the fact that it wasn't supper crazy. I know their website says they only take reservations for 5 or more. So was really happy they were able to sit us immediately. We will be back!!

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sunnyvale, California
“Italian Eatery in Sunnyvale's Old Post Office”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The name pretty much says it: an Italian version of the Postal, i.e. Post Office. The restaurant itself is not very big, but there is an enclosed courtyard with some sun for lunch, and even heat in the evenings. I've eaten there several times because it was close to my office, and I liked the pasta and pizza.

• Visited November 2012
Sunnyvale, California
“A Corner of Italy...”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A wonderful place to eat. Decor is perfect, menu extensive (with daily specials), service is excellent. Food reflects attention to detail and quality ingredients. The Osso Buco melts in your mouth, the polenta covered in the gravy is a perfect texture. The risotto is also fantastic. Visit often, try everything.

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Deliciousness”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I ate here with a colleague and got a table without a reservation (actually not sure if you can make reservations - the website is not very good). There was a varied menu and a daily specials menu which included a special martini, which had to be tried, of course.

The portions are decent, the wine list is good and when I asked for a side of mashed potato because I had other-person's-plate-envy, it was delivered with a smile.

• Visited September 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,545 helpful votes
“Pricey without coupon, excellent scallops, very good prawns, tasteless salmon, noisy”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I've lived in Sunnyvale since 1979, and have been to Il Postale dozens of times, always with a coupon, either a $15 Entertainment book coupon, a Thursday San Jose Mercury Eye section coupon for $15 off a $40 purchase, or a $25 voucher with a minimum $50 purchase from restaurant.com.

We went over Saturday at 645pm, parking in the huge lot in front of Macys. There were already hundreds of cars parked, and we ended up parking in the farthest aisle next to Target. Probably a 200 yard walk to Il Postale, with the parking lot behind the restaurant always full.

The restaurant is located off of the old Murphy street downtown section of Sunnyvale, and is one of the more high traffic places, with dozens of competing restaurants right around the corner. Prime location, right across the street from the Macys and the largest shopping center in Sunnyvale, in this the heart of Silicon Valley.

On this warm September evening, the door is open, and the tables next to the windows next to the street are all full. White framed arched door and surrounding windows on one side, and brick wall on the other side of the restaurant. Huge poster size reproductions of Italian stamps line the walls. 4 black ceiling fans, 5 circular ceiling lights, and black ventilation shafts against a gray ceiling, overlooking white table clothed tables, with white clothed napkins neatly folded in triangles.

No overhead TVs as this is not a sports bar place, nor a place for banquet, but more of a restaurant for a date. All that's missing is the candle lights to a romantic evening. However, the close in tables, and brick wall lead to amplified sounds and a very noisy evening.

The only available table is the one next to the open door, and is too drafty for my wife. However the brick wall keeps the indoor temperatures very high, so the door needs to stay open. We sit at the brown granite topped bar, watching the cooks create their masterpieces on the gas topped stove, and huge ovens.

Two menus to choose from: one is the regular menu, and the other is today's specials. One of the specials is a blacked mixed grill of salmon, halibut and ahi tuna with risotto and vegetables for $24.

The regular menu has New York steak $28, filet mignon $37, salmon $23, halibut $23. I've had the salmon and halibut before, and was not impressed, as both were overpriced with small portions of fish. Even pasta dishes like penne bolognese $16.25, or the pizzas are not that memorable, particularly for the high price.

Two of my favorite dishes here are linguine with claims $16.25 and fettucine with prawns, mussel, claims in a marinara sauce $18.25. Tonight I order the seafood risotto $18.50, and my wife the angel hair pasta with shrimp $17.25. We pass on drinks, salad and soup, which are extra, and pricey starting at about $5 apiece.

Presentation of the seafood risotto is excellent. It comes with 6 mussels, 2 scallops, 3 prawns each a little over an inch in diameter, and 2 very small fillets of salmon in a yellow saffron sauce over risotto. The scallops are very fresh and superb, the prawns and mussels are a little less tasty but full of flavor, and the salmon tasteless. The risotto in saffron sauce is very filling.

My wife likes her Angel hair pasta with shrimp. The pasta is very thin and delicate in a green pesto sauce, with tomatoes and olives, along with the chopped shrimp.

We use the Entertainment coupon to cut the price from $36 to $21, before taxes and tip. The final damage is $28.88 out the door. I would not come without a coupon, and abstain from salad, soup or drinks. Sunnyvale in the heart of Silicon Valley has dozens of better valued restaurants, but not too many with the ambiance of Il Postale, named after the former site of the Sunnyvale Post Office.

• Visited September 2013