“Delicious & Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tarragon

Tarragon
Ranked #10 of 377 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W. Evelyn Ave.
Transit: Cal Train
Description: Tarragon Restaurant is the place to gather and enjoy cocktails, beer, wine and HANDCRAFTED FOOD. We simply call it Sunny California Cuisine; "from farm to table" our food is the freshest, seasonal ingredients found right here locally in California supplied by our community of artisans, farmers and purveyors. The food is simple, yet very flavorful allowing the ingredients to take center stage featuring the real Mesquite Grill. However, for lunch, we have a creative traditional menu with many choices from our seasonal offerings in salads, pasta, superb sandwiches and entrees! The diverse and carefully selected 150+ wine list, as well as, 20+ wines by the glass is sure to provide the perfect complement to your meal by the bottle or by the glass. The ambiance of the restaurant, as well as, the banquet room, complements the cuisine and service with just the right combination of sophistication and old-world charm, whether it is the party of two or two hundred, you will be taken care of.
Sunnyvale, California
“Delicious & Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I found the food delightfully delicious, large portions and with plenty of options. The atmosphere is nice and welcoming, I like the way the tables are arranged around the restaurant--not a bad seat in the house.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ov3rLand

Los Angeles, California
“Great food, location & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We needed a place for a group of 17 to eat dinner, & Tarragon accommodated us beautifully. Service for such a large group can be difficult, but they handled it gracefully, efficiently & accurately. The food was excellent, & the location on Murphy St. in Sunnyvale's revived downtown was very charming. Lots of appealing menu choices, with meat, fish & vegetarian options all represented. My ahi tuna was perfectly cooked (meaning it was nice & rare), & the accompanying coconut rice, sriracha-based sauce, & vegetables made for a very tasty meal. I would definitly return.

• Visited February 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,510 helpful votes
“Elegant surroundings, early bird specials, half price appetizers and drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife had this Friday off, so as soon as I got home at 445pm, we decided to go to the early bird special at Tarragon.

Tarragon is located on Murphy street in the heart of old downtown Sunnyvale. The place has a half price appetizer and drinks special during happy hour, and also an early bird special before 545pm Monday-Saturday -the place is closed Sunday.

We walk through the glass front door, and are immediately struck by the elegance of the surroundings: indirect lighting on the lavishly shape patterned white and gold ceiling, with a raised area of lounges and wooden tables, surrounded by plush seating and exotic lighting, over a beautiful carpeted floor.

The front facade is all glass windows overlooking Murphy street. An attractive green and off white colored curving pathway separates the dinner eating area from the bar stools and overhead TVs surrounding the bar area. Each of the gleaming wooden tables is neatly setup with glassware, silverware, and cloth napkins. In the background is a fireplace blazing with wood afire, on this bitterly cold evening.

We are among the very first arrivals for dinner at 5pm, although the bar area is rapidly filled with earlier arrivals for the half price appetizers and drinks. We get the best seats in the house -one of the five semicircular lounges in the raised area overlooking the rest of the restaurant.

There are at least a dozen choices for the early bird menu, including pork tenderloin, butternut squash ravioli, grilled jerk prawns, cioppinio, pot roast, rack of lamb, salmon, and flat iron steak. The main dishes come with a soup or salad, and a dessert, all for $20 per entree.

I've tried the pork tenderloin with apricot sauce before, and it is tender and delicious. The serving size is about 6 ounces. I've also had the grilled jerk prawns which consist of four large prawns, and is very tasty, but someone too small a portion to satisfy me. Same is true with the cioppinio, which is mussels, crab, potatoes, and shrimp. Very tasty and high quality, but also somewhat of a small portion.

Tonight we both order the flat iron steak. My wife orders the salad, and I the New England claim chowder.

The salad is mixed greens with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, topped with a vinegrette dressing. Again, the dish is good, but a relatively small portion compared to what I've had at other restaurants, such as Black Angus.

The New England claim chowder is at best average, with very little cream -it tastes somewhat like chicken noodle soup -maybe a chicken broth, with carrots, celery, potatoes, and a good portion of clams. I can even see some grease on the top of the soup.

The flat iron steaks are to die for -very tender and juicy in a red wine based sauce, with virtually no fat. The portion size is about six ounces, and the meat arrives cut up in about six slices and looks like a sliced up chicken from afar. The sides are mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables: broccoli, cauliflour, brussel sprouts, onions, green peas. The visual appearance is immaculate on a very large white plate, which contrasts with the color of the meal, and is visually pleasing. Now if only my wife could learn to cook brussel sprouts, my favorite!

Dessert arrives. I order New York cheesecake, and my wife orders Tiramatsu. The white cheesecake comes with a yellow mango sauce to give it some sweetness. It is delicious, and my wife's favorite. The Tiramatsu is a layer cake, with moca coffee flavor mixed in with white cake, and custard cake, covered with a chocolate sprinkles. I like both of them, but my wife likes the cheesecake more, and confiscates my dessert, leaving me with the Tiramatsu. The dessert is so good that I am tempted to copy our cat and lick the plate!

Total bill is $44 before tax and tip, with each entree $20, including salad/soup and dessert, and $4 for the house wine for my wife. I don't drink so we save a little there. No leftovers for me, but my wife has a few slices of the flat iron steak for a meal next Monday.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank robert c
Saratoga Springs, Utah
“consistently great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

have had luncheon meetings here for 30+ people several times and always impressed with the service and quality. serving steak to the doneness ordered is a tough challenge in large groups, but this crew has it mastered. portions are generous, real fresh vegies, and a nice wait staff. It's all good!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank dapinca
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Good Business dinner location, downtown Sunnyvale”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Have eaten here a couple of times. Tarragon has a great menu and really good chef's specials every night. I had the rack of lamb, really good. Healthy choices with nice fresh veggies for me.

• Visited July 2013