“Not a wink of sleep to be had at The Grand Hotel”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed December 17, 2010

It's 3:45AM and I'm standing in the lobby of the Grand Hotel in my pajamas. This detour from my planned night of sleep is due to what was quite literally the loudest fan I have ever heard in any room, of any hotel, in my life.

I was in room 402, which is on the top floor and near the end of the hallway, so I don't know if that had something to do with it (maybe the equipment was right above me), but even the night attendant that came up to my room acknowledged that he could hear the noise from outside in the hallway.

Want to hear it yourself? I recorded it with my phone and put it online here:

While the front desk attendant was sympathetic, he said that there was nothing they could do since the hotel was booked solid, a statement that surprised me since the parking lot was empty and the lobby had no traffic whatsoever the evening I checked in, the next morning, or even throughout the day. (I did not leave the hotel during the day.) I'm not necessarily saying the hotel wasn't full, I'm just stating what I observed.

They did move me the next day to a room on the first floor, and while not as noisy, the fan was still remarkably loud. The rooms themselves are very odd. They are oversized, but sparsely furnished. There are flat screen TVs, but no hi-def channels, so every channel looks like crap. The pillows are very uncomfortable. There's no wifi (really, in the middle of Silicon Valley, no wifi???) and the food was on the comes-up-short side of mediocre.

Yea, I pretty much hated this hotel and would advise anyone to stay away from it. Next time I come to town I'll be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, one mile down the road.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank dwschwartz

Reviewed September 22, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel for business, came back to stay for a weekend night on my way to Fort Bragg, CA. Excellent value - afternoon cocktails/hot snacks, breakfast and on the weekend it's quiet. Head over to nearby Mountain view for dinner - great (relatively) inexpensive stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Looking at the various reviews, I can only conclude that this hotel has improved dramatically since 2007 - as I would most certainly recommend this place to any business traveler visiting the Mountain View area. Spacious rooms, internet access and breakfast included in the room rate, upscale TV and iPOD capable alarm clock, great pool, ... And yes: friendly service. So - really nothing more that I would ask for during a business trip. I stayed in one of the hotel rooms (414), and not in the separate bungalows who also look nice ! Only negative point: the AC systems could use an upgrade to a more quiet model... hence the 3 out of 5 on sleep quality.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I stayed at the Grand Hotel during a business trip. The rooms were clean, very spacious, and the bathroom was incredibly large. The rooms were quiet and of course, provided internet service.
The limousine was not available to pick us up from the airport, so the hotel instructed us to take a cab, and they paid the fare when we arrived. Check in was quick and personable. The afternoon reception featured hot finger foods, fruit, cheese and crackers. Beverages were free from 5pm-7pm. Dave, the bartender, was especially outgoing and turned this "wind down at the end of the day" into a fun time.
The limousine took us to and from our business class every day.
The swimming pool is an adequate size and the water was warm enough to make the swim enjoyable. The hot tub is tucked into a corner and was nice to relax in. Although there is not an exercise room at the facility, the limo will take you to a gym located about a mile away from the property.
Some of our group stayed in the bungalows. The trees were blooming and the wonderful scent was intoxicating as you walked by them.
It is located conveniently and close to everything in the silicon valley. We took evening trips to half moon bay, San Francisco and San Jose.
The Grand was everything that I would look for in a hotel. Overall, it was a fantastic experience and one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2010

A nice hotel, price may be higher than other hotels but service was great - nice pool, great buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2010

My room was large. But it was not luxurious, unless you consider cracked ceramic tiles, fiberglass shower tubs, hard mattresses (I could hear the springs creaking!) and thrift-shop furniture to be luxurious. I put it closer to a Motel 6 circa 1987.

The breakfast was the usual cheap-hotel fare of inedible muffins and sample-sized cereal boxes.

Front desk service was either bored or petulant (it was hard to tell).

Overall, a dismal experience. Avoid.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2007

I stay at this property for business travel about 30 nights a year.

The rooms and service are both "oversized". The lobby and breakfast/bar area has undergone a recent renovation and the results are fantastic.

Make no mistake this hotel is designed around a business traveler. Free breakfast, free internet, free happy hour, and free limo transportation to/from SJC and local businesses are just some of the perks of staying here.

If you happen to be "stuck" in this area over the weekend request a bungalow suite.

Only minor flaw is that the in room TV service has limited channels; although there is a decent collection of VHS tapes that you can checkout during your stay.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 6 in Cupertino
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!