“Pleasant stay @ Wind Palms”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed May 17, 2014

One night stay (solo). Comfortable bed and pillows. Very clean sheets and towels. Chair (by desk) didnt seem to fit with the room decor and was quite old. Overall, a comfortable and clean room. Check in was efficient. Staff was friendly and welcoming. I asked for a room on the 2nd floor (after reading about noisy ceilings in first floor rooms) and was given one.

My room was toward the back of the hotel. Although the parking lot was well lit at night, I had some concerns as there were a few gentleman hanging out by the front of the hotel. They didn't look like hotel guests and had a dog with them (pit bull). The parking lot along the side and back of the building looks inviting for trouble.

I was awakened at 1:40am by 3 individuals trying to enter my room. I heard them use a card key, obviously, they were trying to get into the wrong room. By the time I got up, put my glasses on and walked to the door, they had realized they were at the wrong room (stupid kids).

Walls are a bit thin. I was kept up from 1:45 - 2:30 am hearing the gentleman in the next room snoring.

Breakfast was fine. Nothing fancy but had a larger variety compared to some other hotels I've been to.

Overall, a nice stay. A/C was a bit loud but thankfully, didn't have to use it in the evening as the temp. had cooled down.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. I'm sorry your stay was not without incident. Kids not know their room number and waking you up must have been frustrating. I'm sorry it disturbed your sleep. If you are like me, it is hard to get back to sleep once woken up. Thank you for the 4 stars and we will work had to get that 5th star. You are also correct about the chair, we are replacing them, and more over the next 6 months.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Robin Donovan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Very nice stylish hotel with a resort atmosphere. The pool and spa were a big bonus. The beds have a canopy top. As with all Joie de Vivre hotels, they have great decor and style. I will be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Hello Rocky,

It's excellent to hear you will be returning to Wild Palms. We are very pleased to be your oasis. Thank you for your glowing review and for acknowledging the JDV uniqueness at the property. I'm happy to see you are a fan of the brand. Commune/JDV hotels are expanding all over the world and all of them are not your typical cookie cutter hotel. Thanks again for the review and 5 stars.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Stayed here while traveling with colleagues. It is not the usual business hotel, but rooms, wifi, food and service were all good. Staff were great. From my experience it was a well run hotel and at a decent rate.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank EpsomSmith
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

You hit the nail on the head, that is us "quirky but good." We try our best not to be cookie cutter and let our uniqueness shine through. The building, built in the 70's isn't set up to be a typical business hotel so we went with great service, cool vibe and great amenities. I'm so glad it suited your needs and for sharing your experience.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

The wild palms is a basic hotel with standard amenities. Breakfast was the standard fare. Price was reasonable and location was good. Rooms are painted from the 60's with the decor. Wifi service was good but somewhat slow. Would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

I'm happy to see you will be returning and maybe we can go from good to great on your next stay. We just increased our wifi bandwidth to 100 megs so it will be much faster now. We are also doing a refresh of the rooms over the next 6 months. We hope next time to earn the other 2 stars from you!

Take care,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed here for few weeks. Firstly the property is old and maintained ok. Rooms are dull and gives you sober feel. AC unit in room was making noise like a diesel generator. Wifi access in room is pathetic. Had to talk to the service provider to make it work from my room. So despite these odds i choose to stay due to its proximity to all good eating places and VTA transport. The free cab service is a big crap.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

I'm so sorry you experience wasn't as pleasant as it should be. We strive hard to take care of all of our guest, whether here for business or pleasure and it looks like we failed you. I'm sorry you found the hotel dull and sober. We hoped with the bright yellows, blues and lush gardens it would appear bright and colorful. I will follow up with my team and IT department regarding your feedback regarding the WiFi. I not sure about the cab service you mentioned, but will look into it. Thank you for your feedback and again I am sorry your experience wasn't excellent as you deserve excellence's each and every stay.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Average room with desk, chair with lamp, double pane windows that open, free wireless,free hot breakfast and free parking. Large spa heated to 100 degrees and larger pool heated to 80 degrees. Near a 7-eleven in south Sunnyvale. Although local bus is within a block or two, a car makes it easier to get around the San Jose/ Sunnyvale/ Mountain View easier. I recommend Wild Palms to solos, business, couples and families. Friendly service, attractively groomed grounds, good breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Otter-play

It's good to see you were delighted with your choice and the hotel! I'm glad you enjoyed the amenities,such as the pool and the free breakfast. I hope you have an opportunity to return in the near future.

Have a great day.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I recently visited the Wild Palms hotel as I was attending a conference nearby. Staff was very friendly and I particularly liked the uncomplicated and easy-going attitude: no ticking off room numbers when you entered the breakfast room (really good breakfast, by the way - incredibly tasty fresh pineapple every morning), coffee maker in the room and complimentary tea or coffee at reception, free access to a printer for printing out e.g. your boarding pass. The (heated) swimming pool and whirlpool are open until late and my room (in building 3) was very spacious. If I had to nitpick and find anything negative, the only thing was that my room had a funny smell that stayed for the first 2 nights and that the walls between rooms were not exactly soundproof. The weather was cold and rainy while I was there so I turned on the heating for short periods of time. The airconditioning system was extremely loud so it was not possible to keep it switched on while trying to sleep. Overall, though, really good value for money. Sunnyvale itself is definitely a place where you need a car (I didn't have one) and regular taxis are rather expensive. After a day there, I discovered that Uber is available there and this made transportation considerably more affordable.

Room Tip: I was mystified that my colleagues had bathrobes in their room for the pool and I didn't and fou...