“Friendly and easy-going hotel”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Vienna, Austria
“Friendly and easy-going hotel”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I recently visited the Wild Palms hotel as I was attending a conference nearby. Staff was very friendly and I particularly liked the uncomplicated and easy-going attitude: no ticking off room numbers when you entered the breakfast room (really good breakfast, by the way - incredibly tasty fresh pineapple every morning), coffee maker in the room and complimentary tea or coffee at reception, free access to a printer for printing out e.g. your boarding pass. The (heated) swimming pool and whirlpool are open until late and my room (in building 3) was very spacious. If I had to nitpick and find anything negative, the only thing was that my room had a funny smell that stayed for the first 2 nights and that the walls between rooms were not exactly soundproof. The weather was cold and rainy while I was there so I turned on the heating for short periods of time. The airconditioning system was extremely loud so it was not possible to keep it switched on while trying to sleep. Overall, though, really good value for money. Sunnyvale itself is definitely a place where you need a car (I didn't have one) and regular taxis are rather expensive. After a day there, I discovered that Uber is available there and this made transportation considerably more affordable.

Room Tip: I was mystified that my colleagues had bathrobes in their room for the pool and I didn't and fou...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Fantastic! Thank you so much for the positive comments and the feedback. We are so pleased you had such a pleasurable stay with us. I will make sure the team is recognized for taking such good care of you during your visit. Breakfast should be hearty, healthy and happy, no muss no fuss! Sorry about the rain, must admit we need it, but not great for someone visiting California. We hope you have a chance to come back and stay with us again soon.

Robin Donovan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Freeland, Washington
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was there for work early April, for three nights, and it was a most positive experience, even though pouring rain for two of the days prevented my husband and me from enjoying the pool, hot tub, or outdoors patios. I had asked for a quiet room, and upper floor (because of reviews that talked about "ceiling noise" if you got a first floor room), and that's what I got. The room (3256) was at the back, and on the end, so it was perfect for us. We also had our dogs with us, and the front desk not only had no issue with that, but as one other reviewer I read mentioned, we got a real doggie bag delivered to our dog, with doggie treats, a doggie toy, and doggie bags to scoop up the poop. The room itself was fine, although I was surprised there was no microwave, although there was a little fridge.
Breakfast was good each morning, there were free newspapers at the desk, and a nice atmosphere throughout. It's certainly more pricey than I would want to spend on my own, at $169/night-- and no discounts available, but given the price of other hotels for business stays, this was great.

Room Tip: Upper floor ( but there are no elevators) for quiet overhead; away from Wolfe Road.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you so much for your fantastic review and the 5 stars. Great tip about the second floor and yes, we are very happy to have all the family stay, even those with four legs. You are correct, the rooms do not have a microwave. We have one at the front desk for guest use or for a small fee we will put one in your room for your entire stay. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your great experience. We really look forward to your next visit.

All the best to you,

Menlo Park, California, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Checked into this hotel for just one night and certainly looked for another one almost as soon as we checked in. The card key they issued us kept getting deactivated. The first time it happened, I was carrying a load of shopping bags and sweltering under the California heat, so I was royally pissed at not being able to enter the room right away. I called reception, was told to walk there and get a replacement card. Reception was a ways off so I told them to send someone to unlock the door and give me another card key. They sent someone who assured me it shouldn't happen again. After a short nap I had to go do more errands. I came back an hour or so later and - you guessed it - the card was again de-activated. Called again, told them to send someone to let me in and give me a new card and I waited a while. I was due for a conference call so you can imagine how stressful it was when no one came right away. Luckily a nice maintenance guy saw me waiting outside my room and offered to go to reception. He came back with the same guy who let me in before and when I asked this guy why this was happening he implied it was MY fault because I was carrying credit cards and a cell phone. Of course I lost it. Completely. I not only missed my telephone meeting because I was again locked out but was faced with untrained staff who, instead of profusely apologizing for the inconvenience he had caused me had the nerve to imply it was MY fault! Same thing happened to my husband. His card got de-activated, he went to reception and was given the same bull about his credit cards and phone causing the de-activatiion. The girl even told my husband he must be carrying a magnet. So of course my husband lost it too. He finally got her to admit they have a new card key system and don't quite know how to use it. There you go - a sure sign of a BAD hotel. Blame the guests if you screw up!
Staff needs to be trained on how to be polite to guests. I stay in a LOT of hotels because I travel a lot. I never really remember rooms much but I sure remember service (or the lack of it).
This would be a decent hotel - if the staff were better trained on good customer service.

Room Tip: Away from Wolfe. No elevators so if you have a lot of luggage, stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
All I can say is I am so sorry for everything. I will use this review to work with my team to better suit guest needs. I feel really bad for your experience, especially after reading your other posts of your other travels at other hotels. It seems like you can't catch a break during any of your visits, they have all been negative. I know how frustrating that must be for you. I truly want you to know that we will really try harder and are so sorry you did not have a stay you deserve. Thank you for your feedback and we hope we have another opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Sitka, Alaska
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Our room was decorated nicely enough, and had a very cool vessel sink and faucet in bath, but two double beds vs two queens made for a very uncomfortable night's sleep. The room was big enough for two queens. The room above us "walked on our heads" til late at night - every footstep very loud. Breakfast was horribly disorganized - they put tea and coffee station right at doorway, which caused a bottleneck getting in and out of the room. Otherwise the place was fine - but I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Ral W
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed the decor and am sorry about the noise and breakfast room issue. We thought by putting the beverage station close to the door, guest who only wanted a beverage didn't have to go all the way into the room. You might be right that this doesn't work. We will look into it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Best,

Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Like all his house, when I came here to work! very comfortable here, and what better serve my needs. Staff was helpful and kind. Very accomodating. Nice rooms. Quiet. I'll never forget being in the bar here when I learned we landed on the moon. Are truly interested in your comfort..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the great comments.

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I visit Silicon Valley at least once a month and stayed here recently. The hotel is owned by a company that has several hotels in the area and I have stayed at three of them including this one. (the other two are Hotel Zico and The Domain) These hotels are all refurbished older hotels and they have been significantly improved but still have some older hotel issues.

The good.
- the room was nicely furnished and the bed was comfortable.
- the staff and hotel operations ran very well. (this is a well run hotel compared to others including major chains)
- the breakfast included some hot items like bacon, scrambled eggs, etc.
- the pool area was well kept and looked nice. (I didn't use it but I could tell)

The not so good.
- the workout room is poor at best. It has two off brand (BT Fitness) machines - one elliptical and one treadmill. It also has one weight bench which is only for bench presses.
- the walls of the room are paper thin. I had to run my A/C constantly to avoid hearing my neighbor's tv.
- the shower was fair - older shower head and no curved shower rod to give more room in the shower.

FYI
- there is no bar or restaurant. (just breakfast) Plan accordingly.
- the breakfast room was blazing hot. Sit outside if you want to be cooler.
- ask for a room not facing Wolfe. It can be loud and the rooms are fairly close to the road.
- there are mostly outdoor hallways - like at a motel - but there are security fences all around the place so its safe.
- there are no elevators to the second floor rooms. If you have a lot of luggage or have mobility issues, you should stay on the first floor.

I think that covers it. Not a bad hotel but there are better ones - even within the chain they belong too.

Room Tip: get a room not facing Wolfe Rd. it can be noisy. Also there weren't elevators, so get a first fl...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank wine_moose
Thank you for so many good points. I also agree that the round shower bar is a great idea. Sorry about the fitness center. I wish it was larger too, but that would involve taking out a guestroom and knocking down walls. We are looking into it, but probably not until next year. We thank you for selecting the Wild Palms hotel.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We have stayed at the Wild Palms in Sunnyvale 8 times now, and have always been extremely pleased with the service, rooms, pool/hot tub, breakfast, and atmosphere provided. My wife really loves the toiletries. After having discovered that we could bring our dog (at no extra charge), we brought him this time and the staff welcomed him and us with open arms, as usual. They even gave us a welcome package for Bucky, the dog, with treats and chew toy. They have a dog walking/play area, with the room immediately adjacent, that made watching Bucky as easy as could be. We are always pleased to come to the Mediterranean decor, and the breakfast is always filling, healthy, and good.

The only thing that we are disappointed about the Wild Palms is that our daughter is graduating from college, and we will not have the need to visit anymore. This is a top notch place at anything but a top notch price! We will definitely look for other Joie De Vivre hotels on future vacations!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with over the years. We are happy your daughter graduated, but sad you will not be visiting us as often. We are so pleased Bucky enjoyed his stay too, everyone is family at Wild Palms.

We wish you the best,

Robin Donovan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
#5 of 33 in Sunnyvale

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!