“Good location, but noisy”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I spent one night in this hotel. It is extremely conveniently located near to El Camino Real, but the local area is short of places to eat on a Sunday night and the hotel has no restaurant.
Room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom also OK with a decent shower - but it was very noisy, both from other guests and from the nearby streets.
Staff were all excellent, pleasant, helpful and really cared about helping out, but that didn't really offset the noise unfortunately.
Avoid getting a cab from San Francisco International to this hotel, it's a ridiculously expensive fare!

Room Tip: Get a second floor room away from the roads if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us. I'm really sorry that the noised disturbed your stay, I know that is disappointing. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the staff. Sorry that the cab cost so much and for this area, and going to and from SFO, I think renting a car might make more sense.

Have a great day,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 9 days while visiting our son who was doing an Internship nearby. The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were clean and attractively decorated. We booked a room with two double beds for my husband, my daughter and I. The mattresses were very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The facility had a nice size pool and provided a better than average complimentary breakfast with various hot and cold food choices. They also had a lot of tables in their dining area and room for overflow guests on the veranda and in the lobby areas.

My only complaint would be that the insulation between floors was minimal at most. We were on the first floor and could hear every move of the people above us. We didn't expect silence and understood typical movement, but the people above us paced and ran around in the middle of the night. We had thought we'd be in a great room, as it was an end room. Not only did we have the noise from upstairs, but there was a security gate right next to our room and we heard it being slammed shut at all hours. After 2 nights, we asked the attendant at the front desk if the people above us were going to be there much longer. They said that they weren't checking out anytime soon and recommended we be moved. They said they would put us in a room on the 2nd floor. We packed up our belongings and went out for the day. When we returned, we were assigned a new room, but unfortunately it was also on the 1st floor. The same thing happened, this time it sounded like someone was jumping off the bed. Again the noise was at all hours during the night. We approached the front desk attendant again. They called the people above us and things got quiet for the first night. The same thing occurred over the next two nights. We inquired again and were told they could try to move us but that they didn't have very many rooms with two double beds. Since we had all day tour eservations in San Francisco that day and had to be up at 4 am, we weren't able to move that day. We stayed in the room for the remainder of our vacation.

The hotel was listed as having a restaurant/bar. This didn't exist. I think they converted the restaurant/bar into their breakfast area. There were plenty of good restaurants in Sunnyvale and Mountain View though.

The bottom line is hotels can't control guests. Not everyone is considerate of other people. The management tried to help us by moving us. I only wish they had stuck to their plan and moved us to a second floor room. Overall, the management was very receptive and helpful. We had a loose faucet in our bathtub and it was fixed right away. The staff was very attentive and freindly.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room on the second floor to avoid being able to hear every movement in the room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for so many great comments. I looked into why the staff moved you but didn't but you on the first floor as that is would have made more sense. I found out that there were no rooms with 2 beds on the second room available due to other guest in them. I'm sorry my team did not tell you this as it would have saved you the moving time. They thought the other location might be better for you. I will work with them on being better communicators. I'm also checking all the websites to see where it list we have a bar and restaurant. Our own website doesn't have it listed (as the bar was closed years ago and it never had a restaurant), but other hotel sites might have it. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Overall it is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you stay with us again when visiting your son.

Best to you and your family,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I staayed 2 nights at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised. It was comfortable,especially the bed, the decor was pleasant and I enjoyed the breakfast. Service from greeting to housekeeping was great.

My only negative comments is that wallls are paper thing. i could hear the neighbor's tv and the footsteps from the people above.

Room Tip: There are no elevators. If you have mobility challenges, ask for a room near entrance.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kati D

It's great to see you were pleasantly surprised by your experience. I'm pleased to see the staff took good care of you during your stay and I'm sorry about the noise. Sometimes the street side rooms do hear the traffic and I'm sorry as that must have been disturbing. I noticed your tip and another one is tell the desk if you need luggage assistance as they will have someone help too!

Thank you for your comments and have a great day.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Not a typical 'chain' hotel environment, this hotel has more charm over it. Clean rooms. Good breakfast, it is possible to take a table at the pool enjoying the morning sun. Only thing that disappointed me a bit was the sound isolation of the room, especially that of the room's entrance door. Guest in the hallways and closing of (heavy) iron gates could be heard rather well. Perhaps some simple sound isolation around the door opening and some dampers on the iron gates could alleviate the problem. But overall I had a good stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

I'm sorry the guest and door were so noisy during your stay. Thank you for the feedback and we will take a look at your suggestions. We will do our best to fix it. I'm glad you enjoyed everything else during your stay.

Please come back and visit us soon.

Best,

Robin

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I had a very comfortable stay several weeks ago. The price was reasonable for the quality of the hotel. Breakfast was pleasant and the facilities were a definite plus during my visit. I will definitely visit again if the area.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

I'm so happy you will come back to see us again and that you really enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the wonderful comments and have a great day!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Location of the hotel coming from Mountain View means that you need to be in the lane to turn right on S. Wolfe since it is not next to CR. From the outside at night , was not sure if this was the botique hotel had made my reservations at - but do not let the outter appearances be a put off! From the moment I checked in till the moment I checked out - kept finding out just how great a place to stay it was. The room was very nice and had a great style to it that was just really cool! The hardest part is trying to say which was better - the staff and the the super friendly attitude that they had and excellant customer relations encounter that it was --- or the breakfast. That is not a negative comment - because the staff was really that supurb ---- but so was the breakfast buffett! I really enjoyed the extra efforts put into the foods - and sitting at a table out by the pool having breakfast first thing in the mornings. If you have those 2 items so right - and a great room too - it makes for an easy choice to say I will definately be a returning customer.

Room Tip: Traffic from S. Wolfe Street can be noisy on a weekend night - but was suprised how well the hotel r...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! Thank you for your fantastic comments and the praise to the hotel team. They love what they do and making guest happy is job one for them! Great tip regarding breakfast by the pool. It doesn't feel like you're in the middle of a city when you sit by the pool or in the gazebo in the garden area. Thank you again and I hope you have time to come back for another visit.

Best to you,

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel 10 years ago while attending a wedding. I remembered it for its colorful, clean and comfortable rooms. When dropping our daughters off at college last month, I wanted a hotel in the vicinity of the university, but far enough away that I wouldn't be inundated by other families and the price increase that often accompanies a popular college weekend. So I booked at the Wild Palms again, hoping that it would be as fabulous as I remembered.

It was! The rooms are still colorfully and creatively decorated. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet offered eggs, meats, oatmeal, pancakes, pastries, cereals, fruits, juices, coffee and even kim chi & rice. We overlooked the pool, the room was quiet and the bed comfortable. We had an efficient desk area to do a bit of work and a large screen television. All of that, and an amazing price!

We had planned to stay only two days, but decided to extend another two rather than heading immediately down the coast. We were able to add one day, but a huge conference in the area sold out the Wild Palms, so we spent the fourth night in a lousy, boring chain hotel for a much higher price. We will be visiting our daughters often, and plan to make the Wild Palms our hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Don't be disappointed; reserve early because this hotel fills up.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Nothing makes a General Manager feel better than a guest who not only enjoyed us now, but 10 years ago too! Thank you for returning and I am very pleased we lived up to your memory. I love sharing these great stories with the team and thank you for taking the time to post these wonderful comments. I'm sure we will see you more often when you visit your daughter.

Until next time,

Robin Donovan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
#5 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Cupertino Inn
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 6 in Cupertino

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!