“Beautiful Oasis with the Friendliest Staff”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This boutique hotel has a charming atmosphere from the cabanas in the pool area to the open-air lobby to their canopied beds in the rooms. The staff was exceptional in their ability to help suggest local sites, restaurants, or whatever was needed. The mornings were filled with the most cheerful employees greeting each person and creating a lovely environment to enjoy a cup of coffee or a full blown breakfast. We had a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you , we like to think we are a beautiful oasis in Sunnyvale too! Thank you for the excellent feedback and I will thank the staff providing you with great service.

Robin Donovan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is the best hotel I ever stayed during my past trip during which I stayed in around 7 different hotels. Room is clean, free WIFI is really fast, free breakfast quality is OK and has adequate choices, staff is helpful and friendly.

By the way, I just cannot understand why almost all the hotels(except 4/5 stars) in USA have such bad air conditioning - this kind of air conditioning is really out of date in China for more than 20 years now.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are OK. Probably the best rooms are those facing the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

That is a great compliment that we were the best of the 7 hotel stays during your trip. Thank you very much! Your comment regarding the heat/ac units in the states is interesting. I think it is because of the age of most of the buildings and how they were built. Most were not built with central air or heat and they can't be converted without tearing down the buildings. The good news is we are updating our units with the most efficient units we can.

Thank you and have a great day.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This will be a short review: Any hotel that has a fake thermostat control panel on the wall that does nothing to change the temp of the room can get a max of 2 stars in my book. So I guess that, all things considered, this hotel is not that bad for a place that has a fake thermostat on the wall.

Room Tip: Try to find one with a real thermostat.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I am so sorry about your thermostat, it is not fake, but broken or not connected. The ac/heat units in the walls can be controlled by the thermostat when they are properly installed. I am sorry to say but it looks like the maintenance team did not do this in your room. There is no excuse for them not connecting it up when they installed the new unit. I truly apologize for this mistake. I will follow up with the team to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I used a Groupon for a stay of 3 nights while attending a family members college graduation in San Jose, CA. This was an excellent value - just did not have a lot of time to enjoy what the hotel had to offer during our busy Graduation/Memorial Day weekend.

The staff were very nice, fresh apples were always available (a nice touch!), and the buffet breakfast offered quite a range of choices. It appears as though the rooms have been refurbished with a unique style, they are quite large and very clean.

The Wild Palms is a good 'central' location if you are visiting the San Jose and/or San Francisco area and the value can not be beat. A great deal for families.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sheri S
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Congratulations to the graduate! I'm happy that we could add to the celebration and the team took wonderful care of you. Thank you for the fantastic comments and we hope to see you again.

Best,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Enjoyed an overnight in this charming hotel, which is well located for Silicon Valley, and also worked well for my non-business related stay. Staff greeted me by name throughout the stay and accommodated my needs as they arose. Room was quiet, bed comfortable and generally clean.
This was a pet friendly accommodation with a nice lawn, bags and trash can conveniently located. Breakfast was excellent -- eggs, bacon, hot oatmeal, fresh fruit, bagels, cereal and coffees and teas. Although the area was rather crowded, and the food eaten up quickly, there were several servers who were attending the area, frequently clearing tables and resupplying food bins.

This is not an upscale hotel; but serves my needs in a warm and friendly way. I am looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

It looks like you really enjoyed yourself and thank you so much for the amazing comments! I love that I can share these great comments with the staff, especially the part about using your name. We hope to treat everyone like family when they are here and it looks like the team did a great job.

Come again and thank you!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was bothered by a bit of street noise, but the room was clean and the property lived up to the Joi de Vivre funky --- nicer than the sibling "Avatar" hotel. Paid over $130/night, and I may return on another trip --- if other regular hotels are full-up.

Room Tip: Recommending not on the busy street side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

I'm sorry, El Camino Real is a really busy street and that can be annoying. I'm pleased to see the hotel, JDV vibe and room lived up to our reputation! We hope to see you soon and maybe we can move you away from the busy street.

Best,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I love the style of this hotel, it reminds me of the motels I stayed in with my family when I was a kid and on a road trip. It has a couple of floors with rooms that all overlook a central pool. The good news is that it has been redone with Mediterranean-inspired decor. The colors make you think summer and sun, and that's when I usually go there. It's the perfect break for a night or two. My boys love to swim and the pool is seasonally heated. They have huge cabanas around the pool so it's nice that Mom and Dad can laze around, read a book, and still be able to keep an eye on the swimming kids.
The rooms are a great size. I recommend a one bedroom suite if you have little ones who need to go to bed early. Everything is very clean, and comfortable, as you'd expect.
Breakfast is included, which makes this place one of the best deals around! The prices are great. The hotel is only 40 minutes from my house, but it feels a world away and it's just right for a quick getaway any time of year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your staycation with us! You enjoyed the hotel just as we intended for our weekend travelers. Thank you for the great comments and we hope to see you again.

Robin Donovan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
#8 of 35 in Sunnyvale
Cupertino Hotel
Cupertino Hotel
#1 of 6 in Cupertino

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!