“Not bad - slightly unsuccessful pretensions”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
No. California
“Not bad - slightly unsuccessful pretensions”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Spent 2 nights on business. On the plus side, it wasn't a big impersonal hotel.
Staff seemed nice.
Room big enough, desk arrangement very nice.
Some "upscale" features like bathroom sink seemed sort of tacked on.
Pool area pretty. My room was in back overlooking the parking lot,
not very scenic. Ask for a room more in the main area.
I'd give 3.5 stars if there was the option ...
This area is basically a wasteland so I'm rating it higher than it deserves ...

Room Tip: Pool area is more charming
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments about the hotel as it looks like you enjoyed your room and the staff. We hope you return if you are on business in the area agian.

Best,

Robin Donovan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The hotel was cozy, comfortable and clean. The pool area is pretty and well cared for. I stayed here nearly 3 weeks and was made to feel totally at home by all of the friendly staff who went out of their way to accomodate me and my colleagues. Especially Shawn! He was the absolute best and he truly went above and beyond!! We all adored him and he made this experience at the Wild Palms extra special.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I see we have something in common, we both adore Shawn! Thank you so much for your outstanding feedback. It will make my day to share this with Shawn and the entire hotel team. I'm pleased you enjoyed the pool as I think it is one of our best amenities. We hope to welcome you "home" again really soon.

McMinnville, Oregon
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Wild Palms in Sunnyvale is an eclectic, hidden gem in The San Jose area! This was our 2nd stay and we stayed 4 nights while visiting friends in Sunnyvale. Great room, clean and recently updated, nice breakfast too! Staff helpful and price was reasonable. Pool area comfortable and nice landscape. Very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool area are very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We too feel we are a hidden gem. Glad you enjoyed the hotel and pool. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel offered outstanding customer service. Booked it for its price and beachy vibe and ended up getting way more than I bargained. The staff was accommodating and efficient. Great room size and the pool is at a comfortable temperature. Will be staying again and would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
I loved that you were pleasantly suprised. It is suprising to find a hotel in the middle of Sunnyvale that makes you think you stepped into the tropics. That's our concept and of course great customer service like what you experienced. So happy you plan to return and thank you for your positive feedback.

Best,

Alpine, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

my son and i met there for a nearby motorcycle race. the hotel was a real surprise. the people were very friendly and willing to help. the room was very clean and very comfortable. we were able to sleep with no problems. i have a health problem so they let me use the exercise room after hours. pool area had some toys for the kids (never seen that before). the free breakfast was the best. not just afew rotten bananas or cold donuts but a hot breakfast. it is gated so you feel safe inside and out. we had a groupon but they made you feel like we paid full price. i hope to stay there next year.

Room Tip: we were in the middle upstairs next to the pool. i dont think i would want to be in the front near c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
It makes my day when we have guests love thier experience at the Wild Palms. We try to keep pool toys in the pool during spring, summer and fall, so we glad you enjoyed them. Come back soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We brought this deal to stay at this hotel though " Groupon" $89. My husband had a death in his family, so last minute I had to travel by myself. Didn't know what to expect, but as soon as I drove up to the hotel, I noticed lots if tall beautiful bamboo and palm trees at the front of the building. The front lobby was so cute looking too, very inviting. Fresh apples with bright outdoor furnitures and Caribbean decor. People at the front desk was very friendly. I told her that I'm traveling the last minute by myself, and that I'm kinda scared, she assure me that everything was going to be ok, and she even gave me a room close to front desk incase I need anything. And said, I can call front desk service if I needed something. So thoughtful of her. I enjoyed the rest of my stay here hanging out at the pool. Very nice with outdoor cabanas. The next morning, I went down for their breakfast. I was shocked to see all the foods they had...from coffee to hot chocolate...apple juice to peach orange juice...pastries to croissant... cereal to yogurt...French bread to sausages and eggs. I ate so much. I was stuffed. I will definitely come back again...two thumbs up :)

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for all of your great comments! It makes my day to know we helped you have a wonderful experience. I'm glad the team made sure you felt safe and welcomed. We want to make sure you feel at home when staying with us.

Have a great day!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I just returned from spending two sleepless nights at the Wild Palms Hotel. When I checked in I requested a quiet room on the second floor. The best they had was a room on the first floor in the back corner. The room itself was OK. I was disappointed that there are slat blinds and not drapes , to not only keep the room darker, but for more privacy. When I returned to the hotel after dark, I realized you could partially see into all the rooms, even with the blinds closed! The worst part of the hotel is the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything going on. It was if the people next door were in my room having a conversation. Actually what was worse, is there is absolutely no sound proofing in the ceiling/floors. The guy upstairs had the flu, I could tell because I could clearly hear him blowing his nose all night and I felt badly when he started throwing up for 3 hours. Every time the toilet flushed you could hear the water running down, same for the shower. Each footstep sounded like Sasquatch might actually exist. Needless to say, I was exhausted in the morning and not the way I want to start a packed day of business meetings.

The location is convenient, the staff was nice but still I cannot recommend this place. I will NOT being staying here again.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, at least get a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NOSNED
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
#5 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!