“Nothing special”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Evelyn
Transit: Caltrain Sunnyvale station
Description: Located on Historic Murphy Ave. in downtown Sunnyvale, Rok, Stone-Age Fondue & Steakhouse is a truly unique dining experience. Our signature specialty is called Hot Rok. Premium entrees are delivered to your table seared and sizzling on hot volcanic Roks. Diners bask in the aroma as their entrees cook right before their eyes. Every bite is hot, juicy, and delicious, ready to be enjoyed as is or dipped in a variety of our specially-created dipping sauces. We also offer the best part of fondue...cheese appetizer fondues and chocolate dessert fondues. If you combine Hot Rok with fondue in a pot (we call it the Rok n Pot) we guarantee a wonderful evening of dining enjoyment. Our full bar features fruit-infused vodkas and a wine list that offers many varietals by the glass. If coming just for the Rok, you can be in and out in an hour. If enjoying the Rok n Pot, you should plan on approx. 2 hours. Please join us for the ultimate evening of dining enlightenment.
calif
“Nothing special”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I wanted to like this restaurant because of the concept but my Prawns and Scallops entree was tasteless. The sauces didn't help very much. Overpriced for the quality of food.

• Visited February 2013

San Jose, Calif
“Fondues and meat with friends”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Friends used Groupon for a couples night out with dinner and drinks. Our first time here and it was very nice. Our server was so friendly and very, very helpful with her suggestions. We were able to order what we all wanted and the server gave us helpful recommendations. The cocktails were a little small and pricey but were tasty. We had the ceasar salads followed by the gruyere cheese fondue. The fondue was made with beef broth, white wine, seasonings and grated gryere cheese and served with crusty bread and a variety of vegtables. What impressed me is that the vegtables were accompanied by baby pickles that tasted great with the cheese fondue. Later we had a variety of meats that included filet mignon, buffalo steak, boneless chicken, portabella mushroom with cheese. We substituted the mushroom in place of the ahi tuna. The other meat our group ordered was the sirloin steak and chicken dinners. The meats came with a variety of dipping oils/sauces which were very yummy. The meat does not come seasoned and is flash seared. The reason it is not fully cooked is that the hot volcanic rock slab it comes served on cooks the meat for you if you slice it up. The rock is about 700 degrees we were told, hard to believe but it sure cooked the meats fast! after our entree we had a choice of desert fondue. We chose the chocolate smore fondue that was made with half & half, milk chocolate chips, marshmellow creme then flambeed with 151 rum and topped with graham cracker crumbs! It was fabulous with the variety of morsels we dipped inside! our dinner was just perfect for the amount of food as we were not over stuffed yet were full. The cost is a little pricey but it is to be expected and was worth every dollar. We will definately come here again but have to save up enough money first! Seriously it is worth a try for yourself and your family or friends.

• Visited April 2013
Palo Alto, California, United States
“Classic fondue needs better bread”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

New and unique dining experience. Groupon coupon helped keep down the cost.

Service was very good for us newbies cooking on rocks. Our only complaint was that the quality of the bread served with the classic swiss fondue had a texture more similar to wonder bread than the crusty cubes a good fondue deserves. I continue to search for a really excellent fondue.

• Visited February 2013
SUNNYVALE
“Good but too expensive”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The quality of the food is good, but quantities are not big. The children menu offers chicken tenders, exactly 2 pieces. Served with mushroom risotto (great for adults, but maybe not so much for a five year old) or mashed potatoes.
The sides could be definitely larger.
Service was average to good.
On WE you should really call ahead, because this place gets very crowded.
So all in all a fun experience, especially for kids.

• Visited March 2013
Oregon
“Accommodating Owner”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was in Sunnyvale for my birthday and was looking for a restaurant with gluten-free options and found the ROK bistro. Parking in the area is a nightmare and took us nearly 30 minutes to find a spot. We did not call ahead and when we went to the restaurant they told us they were full. I saw the stones they let you grill meat on and I really wanted to eat there. The person who told me they were full pointed me towards the owner and said I could ask him. There was a table they had setup for a large group that was coming in one hour and so he said we could eat there as long we were done within an hour.

I had an avocado salad. That was a disappointment as there was barley any avocado on it. For my entree, I had the filet mignon and it was very tender and flavorful. I also enjoyed cutting it into strips and cooking to my liking on the ROK.

All-in, I think we spent about $80 for two or us. For a special occasion I would certainly eat here again, but this time make a reservation so that I don't have to watch the clock while eating.

• Visited December 2012