“Good food, Cute place, Service so-so.”

Summerland Beach Cafe
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Summerland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We came here with 6 in our party on the recommendation of our daughter and son-in-law who were with us. We were on are way up to Santa Ynez. We arrived at 8:30 am amid a light drizzle. We were told it was a 15-20 minute wait for inside for our party size with no one else waiting. That was fine. There was outdoor seating, which was empty, (probably because of the drizzle :)). The only place to wait is on the steps, so we got one of those buzzer thingys and sat in our car right at the bottom of the steps within eyesight of the hostess who would be seating people.

More people came, and were seated quickly understandably because of the unique seating arrangements inside, really there are only a few spots that can handle 6 people, so we understood.

Then we noticed a family of 4 came and were seated outside on the patio. It was now 35 minutes and we needed to be moving on so we went up to see about our reservation since we had not been buzzed, even thought we had been told 2x's they were preparing our table 15 minutes before. Now, standing inside we were told they were preparing our table again. What was the problem? Then looking over we saw the waitress give our table to the group of four that had been sitting on the patio. When we drew the hostesses attention to this, she was like "well they were sitting outside and didn't like it because of the drizzle"

Our thought was, well, that was their choice because they wanted to be seated right away and they came 20 minutes after us and we have waited already 35 minutes and now bumped us back yet another 15 minutes (we were told). yikes, we came with no wait and were now going to wait 50 minutes? The wait staff who did this seemed annoyed with us - we saw some eye rolling, and yes, some huffing as they walked by us, because the hostess went over to her and let her know we were a little unhappy, but did not comment on it.

We needed to get moving up the road so we sat at the counter (6 seats) until a table opened up 10 minutes later and we moved over.
Our waitress we had was nice about moving us. That being said, we loved our breakfast, it was good and filling for the start of our day.

So food was good, staff attitude, well depends on who you get. And most definitely watch your place in line :)!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have never taken the time to comment on a restaurant even if it was great. it does not take much to make me happy. This place made me so mad I had to make sure my comment was heard. My young son likes his food plain. We asked for a plain waffle and both my husband and I said, nothing else on the food, no butter, just a plain waffle. The waffle came with powder sugur, when we told the waitress he will not eat this, it has powdered sugar on it, she took the plate and huffed and stormed off. A few minutes later she came back and said here is a new waffle. My husband said that was quick and flipped over the waffle and it was the same waffle just turned over to hide the powdered sugar. We called her back and said is this some kind of joke? You just turned over the waffle and she gain grabbed the waffle and stormed off. What if there were medical reasons not to have sugar, thats just plain dangerous. While waiting for the new waffle she commented to the table next to us that we did not like sugar on our waffle. How rude to be talking about us to other people. The food was bland and kinda plain. Bad food and rude server= never going back and will tell everyone to not bother going. Very disapointing!

1  Thank kamet01
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The best part of visiting the Summerland Beach Cafe is as follows:

A) Friendly staff,
B) Restaurant Cleanliness
C) Decor (who can resist a former Victorian home as a restaurant)
D) Indoor/Outdoor Seating with good views
E) Dog Friendly

I think the food needs improving as it is just average. The food isn't bad, but not great either.... Just middle of the road average. Even thought the staff is friendly, sometimes the service is lacking depending on how busy it is (like on weekends) or who you have as a waiter/waitress. Most of the staff are wonderful though.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Today was my birthday and all I wanted to do was visit Santa Barbara and I knew on the way we'd try this place for food. I was extremely dissapointed with the quality of the food. We arrived st 1:00 and I ordered a turkey sandwich with sweet potatoe fries. My fries came out cold...not even warm. I mentioned it to my waitress who took my whole plate and returned 5 min (if not more) later. The fries were retried (they couldn't even give fresh fries) and now my sandwich was soggy...I brought the waitress back and asked her to take my plate.

My son ordered a breakfast dish as I was told the bacon was amazing. The bacon was clearly made earlier as it was like eating card board.

My daughter ordered eggs Benedict...the yolk was over cooked...not an ounce of runny yolk. She barely ate any of it.

All this cost $46 including drinks...I'd say never again!

1  Thank Patty T
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The cafe is in a great location right off the 101 and the atmosphere is a lot of fun, but things could be better. I've only had breakfast here. The food is your standard breakfast fare and the service is always friendly, but they really need to step it up on the timeliness of refilling coffee and checking in on their guests. If you need something it could be a long wait. Each time I've been here I've had to wait about 10 minutes with a completely empty coffee ycup for a refill. It's just those small things that keep this place from being a top recommendation. However they are bike and dog friendly. We love to stop here for an early morning breakfast before going to Santa Barbara for the day.