Strawberry Inn
Christmas Tree Inn(Mi Wuk Village)(Great Value!)
$109
Wildwood Inn(Twain Harte)(Great Value!)
$110
Hotwire.com
El Dorado Motel(Twain Harte)
$99
$152
Murphys Suites(Murphys)(Great Value!)
$149
$145
Murphys Inn Motel(Murphys)(Great Value!)
$119
$115
Orbitz.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewspinecrest lakedodge ridgebackpacking triptiny shelfstand up showerwindow unitriver viewrooms are cleangreat place to staythe ground floorfree breakfast
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We arrived just after X-mas, and the area was just beautiful. Food service was S L O W , drinks were pricey and weak (you can not BYOB, even to your room). No running cold water in the bathroom sink. Had to get drinking water from the shower head.The radiators in the rooms don't work so they provided space heaters. Everyone on the top floor was using the space heaters and circuit breaker tripped. After 5 minutes the power comes back on. It then promptly goes out again for 5 minutes. Myself and a few other guests were now out in the hallway and owner offers to show us where in the utility closet the circuit breaker is located. In this way, anyone of the guests could flip the switch back on without bothering him. We froze. The next morning we waited almost 2 hours for waffles ! We decided we just weren't going to subject ourselves to another night of this and told them that we were checking out. That's when we informed that it was a 2 night minimum during the holiday season. Period. Not their problem. Credit Card Company backed them up. Understand that this beautiful building was built in the 1860's and has been in continous use since then, and you will forgive some of the shortcomings in exchange for the ambiance, but the owners/management really couldn't care less about their guests comfort, and they make no attempt to conceal their attitude.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robert1994
Reviewed July 20, 2009

The Strawberry Inn was the worst service and least clean place I've ever stayed, and this is coming from someone who backpacked across SE Asia, staying in youth hostels much of the way. Absolutely not worth it. The owners make zero effort to fix issues - they couldn't care less. Keep on driving!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank ScubaGirl09
Reviewed March 24, 2009

WE just got from 3 days of snow fun up and around Strawberry. The hotel is charming a nice. The pro's are that it was quiet most of the time. We stayed on the top floor so the noise from the bar and restaurant did disturb us. An ice machine would have been nicer then going down the bar and have to use a Picher. The service was good. This is defiantly not a local hangout, The bar area had allot of out of Towner’s, maybe late 20's to 40's I would pass on the meals as previous mentioned in other review's. Eat dinner their and it was pretty bland. The drinks are weak too. Stick with beer. They have about 6 taps.
The place for dinner is Mia's in Cold springs about 10 minutes down the road. Great food. I think summer time their are allot more things to do around Strawberry. All in all would I return? Yes I would. Nice place to sleep, but I would not drink or eat.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I travel throughout he country on business trips staying weeks or months at a time away from home. I was staying in Sonora and heard over and over again from the locals that I should spend a few days at the Strawberry Inn. After all, who knows better about a local establishment than a local resident. I am happy I took their advice.

The location is breathtaking sitting along the river with majestic trees and mountains enveloping you. On Christmas day it was snowing and everything looked like a postcard photo. With people riding their sleds down the mountain side. The food was delicious, especially Judith's tasty deserts. The fire place was toasty warm, the music was enjoyable, the pool table was a nice surprise. But the best feature were the owners Judith and Vic. Charming people that went out of their way to make it feel like a very welcome place to be. Almost home! I have already made my reservations to come back with my family in the summer to enjoy the fishing, hiking and for me just doing nothing but taking in the beautiful scenery.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 17, 2008

We have stayed here many times and we keep coming back, which I guess should tell you something.

So first of all what's good about this hotel?
-the location - right in the Stanislaus river, near Dodge Ridge, close to great places for snow play
-its pretty
-not too expensive
-family friendly
-very nice clientel

What's the problem?
-They are unprofessional
- the restaurant gets overwhelmed (my daughter once waited more than 2 hours for her food because the pizza oven broke (don't think they still have pizza) and no one told us
- we were up there over a holiday and they were serving a big holiday brunch the next day and they made no provision for breakfast for their guests who were leaving early to ski and there was nothing open for miles and miles and they couldn't care less it was just not there problem
-they once booked us in for a single night and then called me to cancel because it was a holiday weekend they didn't want to have us there for just one night
-we have gotten other people's bill by mistake
-mostly they just don't care if you are happy or not, if you come back or not - its definitely not about the customer focused place. i wouldn't mind any of the other things if I felt that they gave a darn.

The real issue is that there are not a lot of other food options up there but there are a lot of lodging options and so they get very crowded in the restaurant and they are the closest hotel to the snow.

Why do we keep going back there? Because its pretty and convenient and mostly ok and its very near all the fun things we like to do. If we are there for more than 2 nights we try and rent a cabin but for one or two nights this is where we go. I guess basically I like the location and the layout

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TechnoKitty