“Ok if you need a quick place to stay or crash space for a ski trip”
Review of Strawberry Inn

Strawberry Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Strawberry B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Reasonably priced for winter ski area lodging (120+tax). The recent addition of wireless internet is very helpful for today's tech savvy traveller. Simple accomodations. I get the sense that this is under new ownership since the last time we stayed here since the tv signal was in good shape among other items like the wireless. I look forward to further work going into this superb location right on the river.

Couple drawbacks that are easily remedied: The coffee pot hadn't been used in a while. There was some shmootz in the pot. We just grabbed coffee on the road instead. My sweet heart thought the bed was comfy, but for me it was lopsided (slightly sloping). It was soft, which I like, so jfyi. I think the box springs need replacing for that room, perhaps both mattresses? Bathroom had some schmootz on the wall. Minor, but in travel mgt you can't be too clean.

We ate at the restaurant. Food wasn't bad at all. Chicken breast was fine. I've had the ribs before too, so if they are using the same recipe, try that as well. Folks are friendly enough when reserving or checking in (much better than last time I visited).

Bar and pool table add to the covenience of the location. There is a general store across the street if you need supplies for your trip.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Our room was tiny and had a sloping roof so that we had to crouch down to hang up our clothes. It was clean and OK for a 1-night stay, but I wouldn't recommend staying there more than 1 night. I was disappointed by the prime rib in the restaurant at dinner time. Almost half of the meat was fatty and gristly. When I complained to the restaurant owner and showed her my plate piled high with fat at the end of my meal, she just shrugged and said, "I would have eaten all of that." I thought it would have been nice if she had given me a little price break. The breakfast we had the next morning was good.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank marshadiva
Reviewed February 7, 2011

The physical characteristics are great: location great, bar and restaurant ambiance is great, pool table great. Food was good and service was prompt and courteous. The three stars for the rooms is because there was no phone in the room and the pillows were quite flat... but otherwise clean, simple, comfortable. The best part of the stay was the owners. While up there we had a family emergency and they treated us like we were family in their house. I've read a lot of reviews here about their reservation policy etc., and I do think it is wise to be sure that they have the reservation correct and get a fax or email with your reservation confirmation first just to avoid any unpleasantness -- but we had no problems whatsoever -- but I did call to confirm my reservations about three times in the week before we arrived. Big thank you to the owners and staff of the Strawberry Inn. We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TrvlgF00L
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We booked the Strawberry Inn because it was just up the street from the Cabins at Strawberry where we had had a wonderful stay a few weeks ago. First, I thought I was booking a 2-BR suite - the price was $190, only $60 less than a 3-BR Cabin at Strawberry, so the pricing seemed to make sense. I explicitly had called the Inn and discussed the lodging with the proprietor. He described the suite as "one room above with 2 queen beds" and "one room below with 2 fold-out futon couches." I confirmed, "Oh, it's 2 BR, that should be fine for us." It was going to be our family of 4 for one night and a second family of four would join us for the second night. He said, "How many people?" I said, "4 adults and 4 kids under 5" and he agreed the room would fit.

Well, we got there and there was no 2nd BR - it was 1 BR in the attic upstairs and 2 futon couches in the "Living Room." There was 1 queen bed upstairs and a roll-out cot. The kitchen lacked basic utensils - cooking knives, colander, eating bowls. When I spoke to the manager about the situation, he shrugged. Additionally, the unit is built into the back-end of a large garage so it has no character and the layout is awkward - we found out it used to be workers' housing and hadn't been rented before. I would have been OK if the had apologized for any misunderstanding but he made it seem like, "hey, you get what you paid for."

Short end of story: Do NOT book here - they are NOT trustworthy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank mom_of_two_in_SF
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We stayed here with our two kids right after Christmas. I was a little put off by their insistence on charging for the room ahead of time, before I checked in, but we were coming anyway so I let it slide. We booked both our friends' room and ours, and since they charged my card beforehand, they couldn't back it out and let our friends use their credit card, so we had to settle up when we got home. The inn was quaint and charming, except for the rooms, which lacked quaintness and charm. I had a really horrible time sleeping, which rarely happens to me. Mostly what kept me awake was the noise of the heater/air conditioner, which ran constantly and was horrifically loud. It was one of those older 70s style motel units, and it was like an airplane, but since it was December and 30 degrees outside, there was no choice but to run the thing. The other thing that kept me awake was the light peeking around the door frame. Some weather stripping would go a long way. My pillow was also really old, flat and dust mitey, so my nose started running after an hour or so in the bed. They could use a good washing in hot water. I went to bed at 10 but didn't fall asleep until 3 am. The sheets were fine, the blankets were adequate. The mattress was a little old but fine and not too hard. The bathroom was dated but had soap and shampoo. The comforter was dated and worn, as was the carpet. It definitely wasn't a Hampton Inn type sleep, more like a Comfort Inn type room.

I will say, though, that breakfast was fabulous and we had great service in the restaurant. Our food was really good and affordable. It made me wish we had eaten there for dinner the night before. The server was on a foreign visa, but he was friendly and good at his job, even though he told us he had only been here for a week. We were quite pleased with the restaurant and would eat there again. They were accommodating with our daughter's egg allergy, keeping the bacon on a separate plate from our other child's eggs so they could share it. They actually had non-egg items on their menu, like cereal, that made it a good choice for our family. The Inn was conveniently located to Leland Snow park, which we really enjoyed.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank blackacre03
Reviewed December 26, 2010

Our expection was set low after reading a few not-so-positive reviews. But since our Christmas ski trip wasn't planned too far ahead, we decided to give this place a try anyway.
The location was very easy to find along HWY 108 after we got out of Dodge Ridge for the day. The check-in was smooth and no surprises. Our room was located downstairs below the restaurant with a vew to the creek below. There is no table in the room, but there are two deep window sills which can be used as table. The TV was CRT but definitely not antique, with programming you can typically find on cable's extended basic service. The bathroom was clean and well maintained. In the very middle of the wall there is an air conditioner which also serve as a heater so there is no climate control issues. There is a trail leading to a garden area by the creek which was very beautiful with snow covered. The restaurant experience was also ok. The food wasn't great, but was accpetable if you put the location and logistic in consideration. The wait was also pretty short. The only complaints we had about the room was noice, which was also kind of expected since the room was located right below the restaurant. The heater fan was also kind of too loud at the lowest setting. The free Wi-Fi signal was very strong and the speed was fast enough to watch some YouTube videos. For a location without cellphone service, this is great. The staff we met were all courtious and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Yogian
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I highly recommend the Strawberry Inn. My buddy and I were in the area to fish in early Sept. but a suicidal deer ran into our car and attempted to ruin our weekend. We ended up stranded at the Strawberry Inn for 3 days, but truly,, we couldn't have picked a better place to be stranded. The building is beautiful and exudes a European charm. The rooms are comfortable and the bar is fun and lively. However, the two things that stood out to the most were the staff/management and the food. Larry, the manager, provided great service and even offered to help get us a ride back down the mountain so we could find a way back to the Bay Area. And the food.. the food is OUTSTANDING. I was blown away by the quality and selection. We loved it so much we came back up again in early October and stayed for another 2 nights and enjoyed the excellent food and cool people once again. We'll be coming up this Winter with tons of friends for ski season since it's just down the street from Dodge Ridge. If you haven't been to the Strawberry Inn, make a point to get up there for a nice weekend getaway.. you won't regret it.

Dan the man

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank dantheman5150

Been to Strawberry Inn? Share your experiences!