Howard Johnson by Wyndham Stockton
  • Pool
$90
Courtyard Stockton(Stockton)
$159
All reviewsmovie theaterclean roomsgreat customer serviceconvenient locationbusiness tripfree breakfastarenawaterfrontfreeway
A TripAdvisor Member
VISALIA
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I will never stay at another Howard Johnson's after this stay. Numerous problems, front door would not lock, had to have maintaintence man come to get it to lock. Had to insert room key card in the lock when leaving the room to get the door to lock? No towels in the room had to call the desk at 9:00PM to get towels. No clock in the room. No cups in the room. Telephone did not work, had to mess with the cord for about 5 minutes trying to get a dial tone when the door would not lock and again when I discovered there were no towels in the room. T.V. had linited channels, no controller, and had a large accumulation of dust all around the T.V. Desk in the room had no electrical connection within 10 feet. The room had a very strange oder like a cheap deodrant. Room furnishings very cheep and not very comfortable. but the real topper was a big wad of hair stuck to the wall of the shower/tub, a real turn off.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
HoJoStockton, General Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

We would like to apologize that you had an unhappy stay with us and our room was not up to standard. We are recently under new ownership and still in our remodeling process. We apologize you did not get to enjoy one of our new completed rooms, but we would like to invite you to come back to our hotel and receive one night free in a new remodeled room.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

our total stay was 20 consecutive days, upon arrival our rate was $67.00 a night. upon our searching for a better rate on line we were able to reduce our rate to $55.00 a night. finally after signing up for wyndham rewards membership we brought our rate down to $50.00 a night. our reason for staying at a hotel was due to suddenly being homeless. at the end of our stay we were under the impression that we were due at least a free night stay. we were denied so have opted to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stockton is my 2nd destination in California. I departed from Bay
Area, and stayed this hotel. The staffs were very friendly, the rooms
have been refurbished recently and are very clean, the hotel was quiet
even it is located in downtown area, it's just off two major highways
(Highway-4 & 5) and very easy to find. Internet access was great.
The only negative thing I had was that my keycard shut off twice during my stay. I guess it might be too close to my cellphone, even the friendly staff were quick to reset my key
and apologize, it still caused inconvenience.
In conclusion, if my travel takes me to San Joaquin County again, I will
definitely choose this hotel over others and I suggest you do the same!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor that face the river
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The hotel is located in a beautiful setting near the lake. It is a great place for leisure walk for adults and biking for children. When I told the front desk about the possible toilet problem, they immediately gave us another room. However, we were not not able to get another non-smoking room because they were all sold out. The smell of the smoke bothered us since we were not smokers. However, the rooms were clean and comfortable otherwise.
The services were great. Workers were friendly and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. When we arrived, they met at the gate to direct our tour bus. Then, they arranged for our group to have an hour earlier breakfast when they found out that our group had to leave on a bus at the normal breakfast hour the next day. (Our group was 50+ people and average age of the group was 60+. I am not in their age group, but tagged along in this trip).

Room Tip: Non-smokers, be sure to get a room for non-smoking because smoking rooms are permeated with smoke, which is understandable. The smell of the smoke gets into your clothes you were at the time.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We got to the hotel going to see a minor league baseball team. At first it seemed llike a ok cheap place. We had to rooms to choose from a older room and a newly remodeled one we got the remodeled one beacuse the lady at the front desk gave us a discount. We got to the room, it was not very nice but it is a howard. You could see a mark on the door from were the lock use to be. The onlhy nice thing in the room was the safe. We use the safe to store money and our self phones. The next morning we woke up and went to check the safe when I typed in the code it said error. I had wrote the code down and say the numbers on the screen as it closed the night before. We tried agin and it did not work so we call the manager and he came up. He told us that these should not even be on due to work on the machines and that there was no contract so they were not supposed to use it. The guy messed with it for 1 hour not doing anything productive. Then he took out a machine to kinda hack into it but of coures he didnt have batteries but luckly my father did. I took another 30 min intill he called a mantence man which then only took 5 min to unlock. Then we went to the breakfast area . If i had to use one word to describe the ares it would be crapy. Dont stay here ever! The only plus to this hotel is that it is very close to everything.It is also very loud as a forgot to say I herd the garbage truck twice and people talking in other rooms. This is a 70 dollar waste do not stay.

Room Tip: Just dont stay there are better chooses out there ex Best Western.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spike Jr H
HoJoStockton, General Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

We would like to apologize for the inconveinence that you expeienced with the safe in your room while you stayed with us. I understand that the first gentleman who went to your room to fix the safe actually gave you some wrong information. He was not aware that we had already renewed our contract a week prior to your stay and the safes were in good working condition. The second gentleman who went to your room was the Manager on duty and he was able to open your safe right away. We have spoken with our safe company to complain about your situation, they replied to us that the only reason the safe can not be opened by your code is because you keyed in different code than what you wrote down. It is normal situation and it often happens when a person dial phone number. We feel happy your safe is finially opened.
As for breakfast, we have more than 15 items, including milk, juice, cookies, cereal, fruit, bagel, muffin, coffee, eggs, etc, maybe none of them you like, you could let us know, so we may be able to prepare the item you like for you.
As for location, we are only one block to access 2 highways, highway-4 and highway-5, but in comparison to other hotels that are next to the freeway we are more quiet.
Aagin, we are sorry for your unhappy experience, and we will make everything ready for you, including breakfast item you like if you choose to stay with us next time.