“Restaurant Service is Horrible”

University Plaza Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Stockton
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We have never stayed at the hotel. We have been to the restaurant 4 times. The food is all frozen processed food. We go there because of it's close proximity to the arena. The service at the bar and restaurant is absolutely Horrible. Long waits for food, drinks, and checks. Tonight I went in for a late because they advertise that they serve coffee drinks. I paid $4.33 for a vanilla late. When I got the drink it was actually old coffee with milk. I will never go back there again. What a joke! The service is always rude too.

• Stayed: December 2013
There are newer reviews for University Plaza Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We come here 2 to 3 times a week to watch the away games and they are all so NICE. Kris, Stephanie, and Chris in the bar and Delta Bistro give the best customer service I've ever had and I recommend this wonderful place to everyone

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anna L
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We should have known from our introduction to the front desk when we arrived. They stated in a not very friendly manner that we did not have a reservation - so we handed over our confirmation (which I made directly from their hotel's website) - and after looking for a while in several places they found the reservation. The front desk associate - smacking gum etc - gave us a room with an awful view of a wall and the rooftop. The hotel was almost empty so it was also surprising that we got the room farthest from the elevators. I woke up the next morning to a dog barking in the hallway. After we checked out and headed to the airport - I realized I had left my jacket in the room. After we landed, I called and spoke to someone at the front desk and let them know I left my jacket. She stated she would check and call me back. After making 4 more calls to the hotel with no resolution - the jacket is no where to be found. It's amazing that my jacket just vanished. So, DO NOT BRING OR ACCIDENTALLY LEAVE ANYTHING AT THIS HOTEL - BECAUSE IT WILL DISAPPEAR. This is the first time I have ever left anything behind and sadly it was at this hotel.

Room Tip: We got probably the worst room in the hotel - and the hotel was almost empty. So don't expect mu...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Kelley43
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was a good experience. The only reason that I didn't give it 5 stars is that I have had previous exceptional hotel experiences and this was very good. The staff were wonderful and the rooms were clean. Beds were extremely comfortable and the setting was pleasant. Breakfast staff couldn't have been more helpful - going way above and beyond all three days of our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Orla B
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The general consensus seems to be that this is the nicest property in Stockton, and that's almost certainly true. The problem is that--as several other reviewers have mentioned--this place is also the venue for a lot of large evening parties, events, and gatherings. This was the case both nights of our recent stay, and they were LOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUD and made it impossible to sleep until the wee hours of the morning, when they mercifully ended.

The first night of our late October stay, the hotel was hosting a large Halloween party (the kind that is marketed to the public as a big event, with an admission fee charged and hundreds of people, if not more, in attendance). There was a band with live music, played at the level you would expect for a large event of this nature, which continued until around 2:00 a.m., along with, of course, the accompanying shrieks and shouts from the drunken partygoers during and after the event. The music was so loud that it practically sounded as if the band was set up in our room. It was simply impossible to sleep. We had to get up very early the next morning, so we had very little sleep that night.

We complained the next morning and suggested that perhaps we were due some compensation, and essentially were told too bad, that the hotel has lots of parties and events on weekends and that's the way it goes. We suggested that guests should be warned when they make reservations that an event like this is scheduled, so that they can make their own decisions about whether to stay there. When we asked if any other such events were scheduled during our stay, the desk staff did acknowledge that there would be another "much smaller" event that night, but that it was only a wedding reception and that it would only be a few hours in the mid-evening. That sounded OK.

The reality turned out to be different that night We were dismayed to discover that the hotel was in fact hosting a VERY large party (which we assume was the wedding reception that was referred to), again with non-stop, extremely loud music. And it wasn't just a mid-evening event, as the staff had told us, though, mercifully, it was shorter than the previous evening's Halloween party. This event ended between midnight and 1:00 a.m. rather than after 2:00 a.m., but after only getting a couple of hours sleep the previous night and then again having to get up early the next morning, we were seriously sleep-deprived during our stay.

The happy news is that, after complaining again that we were not given any warning when making reservations (only a few days before) that there would be large, noisy events that ran into the wee hours of the morning on both nights of our stay, the hotel staff decided to comp our stay. While we would've prefered to stay somewere where we could've actually slept than to stay here for free, that was certainly appreciated, because we would've hated to have to actually pay money to not sleep here.

It's a shame because the hotel itself is pretty nice, the rooms are nicely-furnished, large, and clean, and this is otherwise quite a decent place. Considering the several other reviews here that also complained about large, noisy events being held at the hotel and ruining their stays, I would urge any future guest to inquire before staying here if there are any events planned during their stay. If there are, stay elsewhere.

It's understandable that this place--given its proximity to the University of the Pacifc (some of the rooms are rented ot as UOP dorms, in fact) and its suitability as a venue to host student events and non-university events--would want to maximize its profits by leasing out areas of the hotel for large events. But this place needs to decide whether it wants to be a hotel or an events venue. Because sometimes the two are mutually exclusive, and it isn't currently finding a way to do both satisfactorily.

Though our room was ultimately comped, and though the hotel property itself is pretty nice, I can't give this place a good rating, given that we got almost no sleep here.

Room Tip: When booking a room, be sure to ask if there are any large events scheduled during your stay. If th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2013

After spending two nights there this past weekend, it confirms why we continue to use this hotel for our annual meetings. The front desk clerk (Jean), was so helpful and professional in making sure that we she had our block of rooms ready for us upon our arrival. The sales staff, Angie, Oscar, Renee, Sandra and Gary, (who set up and provided our AV services) and the banquet staff were all very professional and were always asking if we needed anything. I also want to recognize the bar/restaurant staff as being very efficient and pleasant and attentive to any special requests that we had.
jwcjecIA

Room Tip: It was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in our sleeping rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Having lived in Stockton for 4 years, I was a little weary about staying in a hotel that was downtown on the waterfront. And, true to Stockton, don't venture too many blocks away at night. That being said, this is a GREAT HOTEL. The staff was friendly, and the room was clean, neat, and looked brand new. The bed was incredibly comfortable.

The night we arrived there was a noisy event in the lounge, but going down the hall to our room, which was on the ground floor, the noise quickly diminished. With the door closed, the room was silent. The same goes for our second night with a Stockton Thunder game. The hotel is located adjacent to the Arena, but no sound was heard from inside the room.

Parking is outdoor, but there is security. The parking lot seemed crammed, but we had no difficultly finding a spot.

The hotel also has the University Loft, dorm-style/apartment living for students of University of the Pacific. I had thought that may be a problem, but again I was wrong. The Lofts have their own entrance and are located on the top-most floors of the hotel, away from the guest rooms.

I throughly enjoyed my stay at the University Plaza at the Waterfront and plan on using it as my hotel-of-choice when I stay in Stockton.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple