“"Be careful when holding a major Event"”

University Plaza Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Stockton
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My son had his wedding at this property, and I will say that It's a beautiful property and the CSM was great! However, that's as far as it went. Let me see where to start... Well I pre paid rooms in cash for several family members to avoid my cc getting hit hard. The process went well, until 30 min. into the reception. The FD was giving out our occupied room keys to non-registered guests. We knew these folks, but never authorized them to give out room keys! My son's room was thrashed and used as a watering hole. Apparently, his room wasn't the only one that keys were given out... I decided to get my niece a room with her husband because they were having such a good time and they still wanted to stay. So, I walked over to the FD and spoke to a young lady. I told her that I needed another room for my niece who has decided to stay. She asked if she should charge it on my cc on file. I indicated No. I gave her my AMEX instead with specific instructions that they are not allowed to post anything on the room. I also mentioned for her not to link this room to my room. My niece stayed and apparently gave the FDA her information. Around 10 pm, we all left to the club for an after event. We had to be back early because I pre-paid for brunch the next day. Here is when we went further South!

Brunch was set for 11:15am. My son called are room around 10am indicating that people were already eating. Well I flipped a gasket and called the FD. The young lady indicated that her manager told her to give out yellow tickets fro brunch. Our tickets were white! Apparently, the FD was giving out tickets like if the brunch were a free marketing event!! I will say that Chris, the FB Asst. Manager jumped in and stopped the money bleed. Chris, Thank you!!! and my cc thanks you!!

Overall, this would have been a flawless event if it weren't for the drop of the ball from there FD staff! you can't just give room keys away to unauthorized people.... The FD needs training in security compliance, guest relations, customer service and confirming an ID check before issuing keys. Don't get me wrong, they have their stars like Jesus. Mya (not sure if I spelled it right).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Angel A

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel to stay in when picking my husband up at the Stockton airport. Stockton doesn't have the greatest reputation. I was looking for a place that appeared safe. I will say this place is a gem. After ready reviews about how romantic the courtyard was I thought I would give it a try. I arrived mid day and was pleasantly surprised, there was a Gretchen Wilson concert right across the river in the outside amphitheater. My daughter and lounged by the pool while listening to "our" free concert. We then had dinner outside in the courtyard.
The rooms were VERY comfortable.
The only negative thing I have to say is, after the concert was over the pool & courtyard became a party zone for a ton of very drunk people from the concert. What appeared to be the manager seemed very overwhelmed trying to keep these people from bringing their cases of coors light to the pool. Overall a relaxing place, just check to see what kind of concert is happening across the river before booking, so you will know what type of people you will be sharing your evening with.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was on a business trip a few days ago and it was my first time staying in the city of Stockton. Boy was I nervous due to all the media and co workers telling me how bad the crime was in Stockton. My husband told me to go to the next town of Lodi and commute to my business trips in downtown Stockton but I just gave it a try. I first got there and notice the security desk but no guard there. Great, I thought. I went to check in I ask the front desk how was crime her. She assured me that I would be safe. I told her how about my car. She said security is patrolling the parking lots all night. I went on with my day and when night came I had a few drinks in the bar and notice the hotel wasn't as bad as I thought. the people in Stockton wasn't that bad. The staff was nice and I actually seen security in a golf cart with lights flashing lol. When I had to leave early in the morning a guard actually walk me out without me even asking him. I offered a tip and refuse. I check out the next day and told the front desk I had a pleasant time here and she offered me a breakfast ticket for a free meal. Wow! I wish I was not so concern about my safety here and just relaxed because I knew I would have had a blast! Cant wait for the next time I stay here!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a great time we were right across from the hockey arena to go see the Kelly Cup Finals playoffs and came back to friendly staffs in a relaxing atmosphere. In the courtyard you have table tennis, pool tables, pool, hot tub and lot's of lounge chairs to catch some rays. We recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: Courtyard room would of been nice
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I am working in the area 3 days a week as a travel nurse and stay here a couple nights. I was so thankful for their help when I had to bring my dog for a couple weeks. I spoke with the front desk and Iolani was very helpful in allowing me to check in early in the morning before work and checking out late after work. No extra charges for the extra time was requested and I was so thankful for her help. Everyone was so nice and friendly towards me and my dog and I look forward to using their hotel the rest of the time!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I work the asparagus festival and 2 years ago found this hotel. This place is so head and shoulders above this town. The rooms, wow. Desk service, impressive. But the real reason to stop by is Kevin, short Chris and Ari. If you want to feel like you are hanging out with friends spend some time in the bar, these guys are ligit.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I am fortunate enough to reside in the condominiums located on the upper floors of the hotel. My experience at the Waterfront has been absolutely wonderful. The hotel is gorgeous from its interior design to the courtyard which provides a breath taking view of the Delta.(Especially during Sunrise/Sunset) As far as the rooms go the beds are almost too comfortable. The pillow top mattress combined with down comforter and fluffy pillows makes it difficult to get out of bed every morning.

As far as the staff goes I have never met a more genuinely warm and friendly group of people. From the parking attendants to the front desk and restaurants everyone goes out of their way to make you feel at home. I can honestly say in the 8 months I have been living here no one has been rude or short tempered with me. Once I lost my favorite jacket with no idea of where to begin looking and I told one of the women at the front desk, Priscilla, about it and she found it for me within a couple of days of my informing her about it. Mind you, my jacket had been lost for over to a week before I disclosed the information to her. This same woman , who usually works in the morning, has one of the brightest spirits I have encountered. Every morning as I am on my way to school she greets me with a warm smile and asks me how I am doing. I know it is more than a formality because she constantly asks me follow up questions about things I have told her previously.

In an effort to keep this short and sweet I'll end there. If you're ever in Stockton take note because the University Plaza Waterfront Hotel is the place to be!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo