The Clarion is an older property with a very convenient location if you're traveling in Central California on 99 or 5. There are lots of fast food places within walking distance and A Dennys across the street plus a restaurant/bar in the motel.
I never expect the older properties to be perfect - whenever you stay in an older motel, you expect to do without some of the extras or design features newer places have - the trade off is usually an economical price and/or good location.
I was here for one night to attend a going-away party given at a local venue nearby which is why I picked it - I booked a "King Suite" which normally runs close to 90 bucks but i had a free night from Choice Privileges.
- - - The check in process was easy, quick and the front desk staff was friendly enough
- - - The room (Suite) was huge. It had full size couch, 2 rooms, 2 TVs. Thinking it would be good for a family. TV's were old and not in best condition - kind of what you expect for an older motel. But honestly, it wouldn't take a lot of work to give the rooms and property a much needed make-over.
- - -The hallways smell of smoke, there's no security on the outside doors to the building. Many of the screens on the bottom floor have been pried off it appears from attempted break ins. This place really needs a paint job inside and out badly.
- - - When I first got to the room, there was actually garbage still there from the previous renter that housekeeping must have missed. The towels seemed as old as the property and could really be thrown out. Bed was comfortable enough but it seems such a waste of such large rooms with the 1970-1980's type furniture and set up.
- - - Restaurant/Bar - they give you a voucher for a free breakfast at the restaurant which i tried to use but after waiting nearly 15 minutes for anyone to seat me (there were 2 couples eating there - both said they'd been waiting nearly 20 min for their order. I went to the front desk and saw the waitress out front dishing with the housekeeper. No thanks. I heard the food was not very well from others and they suggested Dennys . I had to catch a plane in Sacramento so i skipped the free breakfast. The restaurant also looks like it hasn't changed in 25 years and could really use some new carpet and a paint job.
I had a cocktail the night before and the bar was a bright spot - Randall the bartender was efficient, friendly and probably the best thing this place had going for it.
- - - Location - like I said probably the best thing going for this place is the location. People complaining about freeway noise shouldn't be surprised - it is right off the freeway after all. it can be difficult to get out on Highway 88 during the evening rush hour as there are no lights.
- - - Check out - no one around for that either - so i have no idea what the process is like - i just left.
Being a Clarion - I expected more. This property is completely at the bottom of the low end for this chain IMO. If they spent a little to spruce up the place - update the rooms a bit (im not talking designer here - clean alone would be a start) they'd have a much better place. The curtains in my room were broken and i didn't want to touch them anyway - very stained and ripped.
So if you must stay here - i'd advise you to avoid the restaurant, bring your own towels and don't expect much above an older (much older) "Motel 6" type experience.
I really wanted to like this place but it needs a make-over and maybe some customer service training for the staff (Like actually be in the restaurant would be nice)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Clarion Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clarion Hotel Stockton
- Clarion Inn And Suites
- Best Western Stockton