“Excellent service and attidtude”

Sand Dollar Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
San Francisco
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent service and attidtude”
Reviewed December 18, 2007

Being Chinese-born Chinese (who writes good English :D ) my friend and I were initially concerned about racism at the restaurant, especially having read horrible reviews of another restaurant at Stinson Beach (but I hadn't read reviews of Sand Dollar before going). After all this is a white town.

I am happy to report my concern started to evaporate very quickly before we even set foot in the restaurant, when someone in kitchen uniform happened to walk out of the restaurant and greeted us warmly as he passed us, which was unnecessary since we weren't even inside the restaurant yet. And the rest was history.

Our server was very friendly and took the time to answer our questions about some items on the menu. The food was excellent. The ambiance was great - the live guitar/keyboard dual was awesome. The surrounding was exquisite (boathouse decor). The only negative I could think of was the plates came out too fast. We hadn't finished our soups when the entrees arrived. But I think it's because we went there late and the kitchen was closing.

When we finished we were the only table customers left. There were some what appears to be locals gathered at the bar area, and the bartender as well as our server all huddled together and chatted. So when I wanted to see dessert menu and later get the check, I had to call him by name, but I thought that was fine since by that point I felt very comfortable, like in someone's house.

Noteworthy was that they couldn't make desserts anymore, since the kitchen closed. But when we asked for the dessert menu anyway, our server offered that he could probably do something about it. That was very nice. Though we decided we were full in the end :D

It was a very pleasant experience. Highly recommended. Unfortunately I forgot our server's name or I would commend him directly here.

1 Thank SFer07

A TripAdvisor Member
“Stinson Beach Classic”
Reviewed November 12, 2005

Being a native of San Fransisco, I can tell you that the Sand Dollar is the Stinson Beach Classic of the restaurants. There are always locals at the bar, the bloody marys are made from scratch and their margaritas are perfect, their service is very warm and friendly, and the food has always been fresh. It's very obvious the people who work there care about their restaurant which is refreshing to see. I reccomend the Sand Dollar anytime someone mentions Stinson Beach.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kelvedon, Essex, UK
“Super seafood, great burgers, lovely lamb”
Reviewed May 6, 2005

We visited the Sand Dollar after a daytrip to Muir Woods, Muir Beach and Stinson Beach. We were planning to eat elsewhere in Stinson Beach, but it was full and the Sand Dollar had some seating on their al fresco area.

We were warmly greeted, directed to our table and served promptly and politely. The restaurant has a children's menu which was helpful, our youngest had a burger ($5) and what a burger - it did not hang around too long. Our other three children decided to have meals from the adult menu, as each was splendid and eaten with relish this was more than acceptable to us "real" adults.

In addition to the staff, the other diners were friendly and there was one other family who very kindly provided some great tips on where to eat on our trip the following day to Napa (Many Thanks - they were good).

We had a very enjoyable time at the Sand Dollar and would recommend it to anyone.

13 Thank theis