“The best in a 4-restaurant town”

Sand Dollar Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2011

In a 4-restaurant town, this one is the best. The Matt Davis -Dipsea trail is one of my favorite Bay Area hikes, and since Stinson Beach is right at the midpoint, it makes a great place to stop for lunch. So by now I've tried all of the Stinson Beach restaurants, and this is the only one I keep coming back to.

Last time I had the caprese salad, and the crab cake. I realized that this is the exact same thing I had at Waterfront in SF a while back ago. Oh, what a difference! The mozarella was better than the "burrata" at the other place, and the crab cakes were real crab cakes, not carb cakes. I can't remember a single disappointing meal here.

Reviewed September 21, 2010

Too bad this place got some bad reviews, but we found it to be fine. Went out to dinner on a weeknight, place was moderately busy and had live piano music which was nice, and still quiet enough to have a conversation without yelling. Had the fish tacos which were average, not the best we've ever had, but tasty. The chocolate lava cake for dessert which wasn't anything to write home about - wasn't worth the calories and the coffee was cold. Waitress was very pleasant and good energy, but the guy who filled our water looked like he was mad at the world and hated his life. Oh well. Wasn't rude, just unfriendly. Price of meal was higher than I would expect, but considering the location, you are going to pay more.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

Had dinner there with the family. Nice welcoming of the kids (crayons etc) and good menu. Not bargin prices but ok. I had crab cakes with lemon sauce (kind of) which were the best I have ever had! All the other dishes we had where perfect as well. Ok interior. Live music which sounded good.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

My family and I ate dinner here on Friday night as we got into town for a beach vacation. It was busy, but we were greeted and seated right away. The busboy brought us water and bread, and throughout the meal, our water was constantly replenished, which is a huge plus for us!! I wish I asked his name because he was so efficient. He told me he'd worked there for 6 years and lived in the same town as us (San Rafael). Anyway, we had the smoked Buffalo Wings and Calamari as appetizers and both were very good. My husband and I split the fish tacos and the fish and chips. I thought the tacos were just ok, but the fish & chips were great. My oldest daughter had the steamed clams and liked them just fine. My 12 year old had the pork chop and she thought it was on the sour side. The service by our waiter was friendly, but a little bit slow. But it was Friday and I think he was one of maybe two waiters. I wasn't upset or anything at all, in fact, I'd love to go back again soon. The bar was hoping and there was live music blasting in our ear since we were right across the room. The owners of the Sand Dollar also recently opened Breakers Cafe across the street.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

Great place to eat when you are visiting Stinson Beach. Fish Tacos are awesome; bloody mary mix is homemade; patio is lovely. Our server was not the friendliest of fellows, but we didn't let it ruin our meal :)