“It's just the best Mexican food ever”

Ranas Mexico City Cuisine
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Here at Ranas we offer authentic Mexico City dishes and dishes from the central region of Mexico. We are family owned and operated since 2004.
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We live in the neighborhood and while we don't go to this place all the time, we go frequently and we're always glad when we do. When you walk in, we're always greeted warmly, like we're family. Last night, I was there with my daughter (who is 10) and our waiter flirted with us and called us both "girls." You can't beat that! It's family run and doesn't feel like a big business (like El Torito/Chevy's/etc). You're not a number here. The food is simply delicious, fresh, homemade and unique (especially the sauces!) and if you can't decide, they'll recommend or bring you samples! "Ranas" means frogs and there are lots of frogs (stuffed animals, postcards, ceramics) that decorate the restaurant so we always play "count the frogs" while we wait for our food. The cost is very affordable and they usually have daily specials that are posted outside. Outside is also a nice patio which is nice when the nights are warm; you can have a drink and eat and watch the world go by. Go and try it; you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 29, 2010

So I honestly went into Ranas not knowing what to expect. I grew up in San Diego, and though I am a gringo, have had my share of fantastic, and not so fantastic mexican food. I didn't have high expectations (even with rave reviews from a family member) because of the location, and setting (looked like a cheap taco shop because of the bench seating) and because San Diego is riddled with bad Mex.

My family went recently, and I have been raving about my dish for days now. I had Ranas Alambra - let me tell you, you will never have a mexican dish better than this. It is TRUE Cuisine. Incredible, mouthwatering, I want some now. It was like fajitas, but like no other fajitas I've ever had in my life. Carne, Pollo & Shrimp, mushrooms, pineapple, bell peppers all smother in melted shredded swiss cheese served on a hot skillet with freshly made corn tortillas. The restaurant was clean and well kept, and the customer service was beyond excellent. A MUST try. Once you go, you'll never be happy with anything else, so be forewarned!

Reviewed September 27, 2009

After reading some positive reviews, I decided to stop at “Ranas” for lunch with my wife and two friends. We arrived around 2:00 PM on a Saturday. Still almost full with the lunch crowd, we were led to a table for 4 by a very friendly hostess/waitress that turned out to be “Lucy”, one of the owners who together with her husband “Oscar” run this light and airy establishment. We decided to bypass the familiar tacos and enchiladas etc. My wife had Sopes (a thick patty of masa) filled with shredded beef, salsa, lettuce etc. One friend had a Huarache (thick corn tortilla shaped like a sandal) topped with carne asada, and a very flavorful "red" hot sauce, lettuce and fresh Mexican cheeses. The other friend had shrimp in a garlic and lime sauce, while I had shrimp in a creamy chipolte sauce with mushrooms and onions. All the dishes came with fried beans and a light moist rice side dish. The spiciness of the sauces was not overly hot, just very flavorful. The corn tortillas we chose with our shrimp dishes were thick and tasty, and the cheerful owner continuously refilled the soft drinks. My friend asked for additional melted butter for his garlic shrimp and Oscar immediately brought some to the table. The food was delicious and the service excellent. We were full, but Lucy tempted us with a description of her bananas flambé’, so we split one among the four of us. It consisted of a large wine-soaked banana, split in half lengthwise and sautéed in butter and a kahlua sauce. It was served on a platter with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum! Full or not, try it! Our friend who tried it dubbed their Mexican style coffee “delicious”. Finally, the prices are very fair for the quality and quantity of the food. We’ll definitely be back to Ranas when we are in the area.

1  Thank Oceanbear
Reviewed December 6, 2008

My husband is a personal chef. He knows food, and I've developed a pretty demanding palate too. This place has a crazy bright interior, but also wonderful staff, and amazing food.

We usually try to get a table outside for a more relaxing atmosphere. They bring out samples to try for help in making a decision....and that is always helpful.

Great family owned joint that is just plain good food. Not fast food mexican style, real slow cooked homeade stuff here.

Reviewed April 4, 2008

Tucked in the back of a shopping center in Casa De Oro is a small mexican restaurant called Ranas.com. It is THE best Mexican food I've eaten. Difficult to see from the street, look for the curbside sign that says "Mexico City Cuisine".

Most of the food here is unique. You can get the standards you get from most mexican restaurants but why would you? Before you decide, samples of the six daily specials are provided. They range from mild to spicy, all are extremely tasty and cater to most palates. My favorite dishes are the peanut butter chicken, served with beans and rice (white not red) and the alambres, a sizzling plate of heaven. I've tried most of the menu over the years and all are very good. Potato tacos are a family favorite.

Typically the owners or their son will greet you warmly and tend to your every need. Service is great and always with a smile.

In addition to soft drinks they serve mexican and domestic beer plus mexican wine. Beyond the normal mexican beers Ranas.com serves beer from the Tijuana Brewery.

Our family has been coming here for some time. My sons come back with their dates. My daughter brings her high school friends here. Several family friends are now regulars.

If you are ready for something beyond the normal/routine, even if you had mexican food for dinner last night and lunch today, you need to check out Ranas.com. Not like your everyday Mexican food.

Also, they don't have a website, it's just the name of the restaurant.