“excellent real mexican food”

Ranas Mexico City Cuisine
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Description: Here at Ranas we offer authentic Mexico City dishes and dishes from the central region of Mexico. We are family owned and operated since 2004.
San Diego, California
“excellent real mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

this is one of the best authentis mexican rest. in san diego, everything i have had there is very good, they have awesome ranas alhambre and excellent seafood, just a small but very good mexican food

• Visited February 2013

San Diego, California
“Hit the spot and then some!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I am having a bathroom remodel and my contractor suggested we go and visit his favorite Mexican restaurant. It's very near my home so off we went. Oh my! How did I not know about this place before! They brought out the chips and salsa then I had the best ever carne asada burrito - it was huge, so go hungry. My contractor, Jose, had mushroom laden tacos and they looked delish. After that he insisted we try dessert so we shared the cheese flan and another one which was essentially fried bananas with ice cream and cream in a caramel type sauce. So much for my diet plans - hey! it's not New Year yet is it? I had a great lunch and I overheard the bill was about $29.00 with soft drinks also. The decor was pretty typically Mexican, very simple with bright colors on the walls and paintings of Mexico City. The staff were genuinely friendly and service was quick. I will definitely take the hubby next week and the son when he's in town. Oh we'll, the New Year resolution will have to incorporate some more of this wonderful cuisine.

Clark Fork, Idaho
“Always good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have gone there 4 times now and every time it has been great, Nice and friendly service and great food, what can be better!

Visited October 2012
San Diego, California, United States
“We Could Not Find What All The Good Reviews Were About”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

One of my friends recommended this place a couple of years ago. About six months ago I saw all the good reviews on TA and thought we should try it again. Then one more time just to be sure. All three visits to this place were average at best. Three dots on this review is king of stretching it. I have eaten Mexican food since I was a child and have had thousands of Mexican meals. None of the dinners I had at Ranas were good. They were barely passable.

• Visited August 2012
Kalispell, Montana
“one of a kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We had many stops for good Mexican food around in S.D. area, this was one of the best. From very good service and advice, to excellent salsas, and great food, this one of our favorites. From our first steps into the place to a very warm feeling at all times we were very comfortable. The kitchen, obviously, takes great pride in their many fine dishes. Prices were low to moderate. Having to use the rest rooms allow you to see a very busy kitchen at work. What fine restaurant. An easy stop off the freeway for great Mexican food.

• Visited May 2012