“comfortable but a bit noisy”

Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport North
New York City, New York
“comfortable but a bit noisy”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The motel was fine, rooms clean and breakfast well stocked. Walkways are outside and street traffic make for a bit of a noisy sleep. Perhaps interior rooms are better.
Late night eating in walking distance are limited for late arrivers.

Room Tip: get an interior room that does not face street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
sfosuites, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at Comfort Suites SFO-North, and we appreciate you comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Southern California
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We travel a few times a year with our 4 and 7 year old kids, and frequently stay at Comfort Inns. We planned a trip to SF to visit a friend in the city, and she recommended staying by the airport for affordability. We had about a 15 - 20 minute drive in to the city (even at 9:00am rush hour during the week), which we thought was fine. We were a little concerned when we arrived that it was close to the railroad tracks (and our room faced them), but the rooms were very sound proof and it wasn't an issue for us. It was actually a bonus because my son loves trains, and during the day he got really excited to see them go by! We were really impressed with the breakfast - our kids love the waffles, and these were good as usual. In addition, my husband and I both thought the freshness of fruit and muffins/bread/etc was outstanding. (They also had good scrambled eggs and sausage!) The breakfast attendant was always ensuring the food was topped off and the tables were clean, without needing to ask. The indoor seating was a bit crowded, but in 3 days of breakfast we always found a seat inside without waiting, plus there was beautiful seating outside (but you may need a light coat pending weather. We bought KFC one evening and enjoyed eating out on the patio. We found this hotel to be a comfortable place to stay, at an affordable price (especially for being close to SF), and would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hkkc
sfosuites, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about Comfort Suites SFO-North. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our location suited your needs.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 2, 2013

While visiting San Francisco with my family we stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites base on the recommendation of some friends. Our four night stay was satisfactory.

The property is located directly off the 101 freeway, in an industrial area. It’s about 2 miles from the airport. A little over ½ mile from the motel is Old South San Francisco which has restaurants, liquor stores, Subway, KFC, Taco Bell, Peete’s Coffee, Well’s Fargo Bank, US Bank, and a 76 gas station. If you decide to walk to this area you have to cross over a freeway overpass, which is not easy or safe with small children. We drove through the area one evening, and it did not feel/look like the kind of place one would want be in the evening. During the day if seemed safe.

My wife called the location the Bermuda Triangle due to the fact that we looked out of our room and saw the freeway, a train station, and a power transformer station. Although, we didn’t hear any noise from the freeway, trains, airport, or industrial area. We did hear people rolling their luggage to their rooms late at night, but nothing else.

The property has five 3-story buildings, and is surrounded by the parking lot, which gets very crowded in the evening. Parking is $6 per day. There is a jacuzzi in the center of the property, but there is no pool. Each floor has a vending and ice machine. There is a laundry room, and a computer and printer in the lobby with very little privacy. They also have a free shuttle to the airport every 30 minutes. All of the staff were very helpful, professional, and courteous.

The room was small, but nicely decorated and well maintained. It looked like it was recently updated. There was a large flat screen HD television with free Showtime and PPV, a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and a desk & chair. There was no closet, but a medium size armoire, with limited hanging and drawer space. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The free room WIFI was very weak. There is no safe in your room, but you can secure your valuables at the front desk.

The bathroom was medium sized with a traditional set-up of the tub, toilet and sink all being in the same room. It looked very nice and also looked like it was recently upgraded.

A free breakfast was provided each morning which consisted of; Scrambled eggs, sausage, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, 3 waffle makers, juice, milk, fruit, small selection of breads and pastries, three kinds of cereal, coffee and tea. It is adequate to get you started in the morning. The mornings we were there we found the space to be crowded and seating limited.

The hotel was very nice, and perfect for business travelers. Because there was not much to see/do in the immediate vicinity I probably would not stay here again with my family, but would if I needed a place close to the airport.

2 Thank SNAFU23
We really appreciate your nice comments regarding our staff. We thank you for your detail description of our hotel Comfort Suites and are very happy that your stay was enjoyable.
south dakota
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and two children stayed here for two nights in June. We normally stay at Comfort Inns when we travel but were unfamiliar with any in California. We were pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the hotel. The area around the hotel isn't the prettiest, but the hotel itself was very nice with a courtyard with tables and chairs and flowers. We checked in fairly late in the evening and the check in staff was excellent; very friendly and helpful. I know several people have commented on the train noise but we didn't hear anything and slept very well. I did have a lower level room facing the courtyard, so that might make a difference. I thought the breakfast was actually better than I have seen at other Comforts Inns with lots of choices. The beds were comfortable and the room had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Since we flew in to SFO we did take advantage of the hotel's courtesy shuttle service which was always on time and very convenient for us. I felt the hotel was a good value for the price. I had checked several hotels in the area and I felt this one was the best deal and I wasn't disappointed. We will definitely be staying here again the next time we are in town!

Room Tip: A courtyard facing room might be quieter.
1 Thank hofed99
We are very thrilled to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at Comfort Suites SFO-North. We always enjoy hearing positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Bay Area.
Monterey, California
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I travel quite a bit and have found the Comfort Inn's to be the best for the money spent so I pretty much always stay with this chain now. This particular Comfort Inn is not anywhere near as nice as the others I've stayed at. They charge you to park for no discernable reason. The elevator was frighteningly dirty. I asked the desk clerk if I could have a room upstairs where I could open the window. So he sets me on the second floor in the back of the hotel which was fine - except the room is right above the communter train that screams to a stop every few minutes and of course, the window doesn't open at all. Not even built to open. So another hotel employee who knows nothing about where he works. The room was ok, seemed clean, bed was comfy but there is NO tv here. I mean there is a set but the absolute worst channel selection I've ever seen anywhere in the US, even at the worst Motel 6. There are only 20 damn channels. 5 are sports channels, some business channel, a cartoon channel, weather, and news. Where are the channels? It's awful that any hotel would provide such a crap service to their guests ESPECIALLY at $100 per night. I am extremely disappointed in this hotel and cannot recommend. I am very surprised that Comfort Inn has its name on this location. Would never stay here again and I'm now reconsidering my allegiance to Comfort Inns. Maybe they are all going to decline and offer nothing like this place? Staff is nice enough but location, knowledge of property, hallways and elevators, and lack of TV really makes this an undesireable place at least for me.

Room Tip: I really recommend another chain down the road.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank D0nna313
I deeply regret that you did not have a positive experience with us at Comfort Suites SFO-North. We take great pride in providing excellent service to our guests and we always welcome suggestions and feedback our guests provide since we are always looking for ways to improve our service and amenities. I hope that this unfavorable experience will not deter you from giving Comfort Suites a second chance at imparting a great impression and winning your confidence.
Thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you!
Sachse, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family of four stayed 3 nights in December. They renovated the hotel while we were there. The room was large, clean, quiet, and nice. It was far from SF downtown. It was difficult to get to the hotel. We used GPS to reach to the hotel. The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
sfosuites, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
We at Comfort Suites SFO-North are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Hopefully, we get to see you again the next time you are in the bay area.
Mykonos
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a wedding. Many of the wedding guests switched from the nearby Embassy Suites because the Comfort Inn was a lot more affordable.

Our room had two king-size beds, a refrigerator, and a microwave, all of which made it a family friendly experience, especially since we have a one-year old toddler. The five of us were relatively comfortable there during our four-day visit, but I wouldn't recommend a one-room solution for large families because sharing a single bathroom gets old very fast.

This hotel is nice and close to the airport. There is a nice variety of restaurants ranging from Chinese and Thai to Italian only a mile or two away on Grand Avenue, and if you want a Starbucks coffee in the morning, it's but a short walk to get there.

If you don't want to pay for breakfast, the Comfort Inn offers complementary breakfast in the lobby area. Mind you, it can get crowded, but there's seating outside in the courtyard with tables and sun umbrellas to boot. They have waffle makers that produce four teacup-saucer waffles at a time with a choice of regular and blueberry mixes. The waffles come out very easily. Even kids were making waffles.

There's only one washing machine for all the guests, however, and that just isn't enough for a family of five. We were advised that the nearby town has a laundromat, but that was simply too much work to be a serious option.

There's a train and a highway nearby, but we didn't hear any bothersome noise, so don't let this worry you. And on the subject of noise, we were on the second floor, so we didn't have to listen to footfalls at odd hours.

There's an outdoor pool and hot tub, but it was too cool outside for us to give either a try.

The wedding was in the Daly City area, and this hotel was perfectly located both next to the airport and only a short drive to the church.

We went on a few visits to downtown San Francisco to do some sightseeing and were stuck in traffic every single time.

If you're visiting San Francisco for a short layover and you need to be near the airport or if you have business in the immediate area, this hotel is a great value.

Room Tip: I recommend a room on the second floor facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank warsenis
sfosuites, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
I am happy to hear that our location was convenient for you and your family during your visit. And I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at Comfort Suites SFO-North. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in town.