“MUCH Better than Previous Reviews”

Travelodge San Francisco Airport North
Reviewed June 18, 2008

My wife booked herself for 3 nights and when I learned how inexpensive it was ($49 a night!) I was amazed -- you can't get that in San Francisco anywhere. Of course, I was concerned.

When I looked at the reviews here, I was even more anxious.

But, after spending over an hour looking at the other (nearby hotels), and then finding out they were booked -- we were prepared for the worst.

My wife called the hotel to cancel, but she was late by 5 minutes. So she voiced her concerns, sharing what she had read here. The receptionist assured her she would be fine. Thanks to a review here, she asked for a REMODELED room, and the receptionist said she would get one for her.

Arrival was fine. A shuttle picked her up promptly (one arrives at the airport every 30 minutes). Someone else checked my wife in, and she was very satisfied. The hotel is "next door" to an IHOP so that was convenient.

The room was clean and quiet. Obviously, if you're expecting an upscale hotel, this is not something you're looking for. But for the price, and the purpose (a business meeting at a nearby hotel), you will be just fine.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,115)

Reviewed May 27, 2008

We were on a tight budget and wanted to stay at a cheap rate on Priceline for Memorial 3 Day weekend in SF. Considering this hotel offers some of the cheapest rates, I agree with the other viewers that we got what we paid for. The buildings and room are old. It feels more like a motel than a hotel. There aren't many hotel staff around, and there appears to be renters there. It's close to the airport, and has free parking, and Samtrans line 292 out front that runs into SF. However, the neighborhood does not appear to be the safest. We didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel/area, only a place to sleep.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2008

We were looking for an inexpensive ParkandFly. The Travelodge was cheap. We got what we paid for. The room was shabby, the management indifferent. The worst was the 40 minute wait for the shuttle from the airport. Every other hotel's shuttle came by twice. We didn't get an apology or an explanation. Not worth the money we saved.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I was staying in Travelodge my last night before flight out of here in SFO. I got lucky and got the remodeled room. The room was nice, but not a Holiday Inn or Marriott room. The traffic was annoying, maybe they need some soundproof rooms. A little bit of mold was in the bathroom. Plus, if you got a great price from Hotwire or Pricelice, you will pay for breakfast instead of getting breakfast credit at IHOP.

If you need to the room before flight out and have little money, call Travelodge Airport North

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2008

OK, the Ritz-Carlton it's not. On the plus side, these are probably the largest rooms for the money in the area; it's just a few minutes by shuttle or car from SFO; freeway access is immediately adjacent; and there are adequate dining options nearby. The downside is that this hotel has been around for -- no kidding -- 50 years at this point and a lot of the rooms are definitely showing their age. Maintenance and repair work in some of them has very clearly been done by untrained or minimally-trained employees. If as another reviewer said the front desk staff has been rude, I think I know exactly which person they're talking about; most of the staff I've dealt with, however (I've stayed here several times) are actually quite pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2008

In the fall of 2006, my husband and I decided to go on a last-minute trip to San Francisco. We tried to go for best value for the money spent, so we picked this Travelodge as our hotel, thinking "how bad can it be, it's a national chain hotel"? I figured it wouldn't have stellar accommodations, but that it would be an acceptable place to sleep after exploring the city, which was the impression I got from many of the reviews on Expedia.

After we checked in, I could tell this hotel was not meeting expectations and I began to feel uncomfortable. The buildings looked outdated and a little run-down; all the rooms opened to the outside and there were people hanging out and talking loudly in the middle of the night. The doors had heavy-duty locks and a notice telling guests to use them at night. The rooms were clean enough, but there were some stains on the carpet and walls. On top of all that, the beds were quite uncomfortable, and needless to say, I didn't get much sleep the first night we were there.

The next day, I realized that staying the rest of our trip at this hotel would damper the quality of the vacation for me. My husband had similar feelings, though not quite as strong as mine, and agreed to look for a different hotel. We ended up staying the next three nights at the Best Western Grosvenor, which was right across the street, and felt like a luxury hotel compared to this one - and for only $75 a night, with a coupon we found from one of the tourist newspapers. We weren't able to recoup the cost of the Travelodge, because we booked it in a package with Expedia, but it was still well worth eating the money and paying for a better hotel to stay at. After our experience staying here, my husband and I agreed that we will never again stay at a motel - only hotels - and will thoroughly check traveler reviews before booking accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I booked three nights at this crummy hotel hoping to save a buck with a $39 a night booking through Hotwire. What a mistake. After learning that it was this hotel that I'd purchase, my research at this site and others was pretty much spot on. The hotel looks run down and sits right on the busy 101 freeway. There were several folks milling around who obviously rented rooms on a long-term basis which is always a little sketchy. The room was a big disappointment in so far as the mattresses and box springs looked like they'd were purchased third-hand and then dirtied up a bit for good measure. The bathroom was slightly better but no much more. Absolutely disgusting.

Now you might ask, "what do you expect for $39 a night in a two star hotel?" Well, safety and sanitary beds are the bare minimum that any hotel should provide. I stuck it out one night and took the loss and booked a three star room through Priceline at the Doubletree paying $70 per night (plus $15 parking). It was well worth it. I will never skimp on a clean, good night's sleep again. Just not worth it.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Hotel V
Hotel V
#11 of 28 in South San Francisco
Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport
Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl...
#14 of 28 in South San Francisco
1 mi away
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - San Francisco Airport
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites...
#4 of 28 in South San Francisco
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco  Airport North
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francis...
#15 of 28 in South San Francisco
Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel

Been to Travelodge San Francisco Airport North? Share your experiences!