“Old, needs work, but a great staff.”

Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This waterfront hotel was our choice for the final night of a week in San Fran and Sonoma, also at Marriotts (the JW downtown and the Sonoma Renaissance resort). Although this cost more than the JW, it is so far below it in quality that we feel cheated.
The room was average for a Courtyard, We had one of the few with a true water view which was appreciated as I am a Gold status member. Room amenities were basic grade in small plastic tubes; more Super 8 than Marriott. Room decor was "ok".
Front lobby seems recently refreshed, and the bar area and registration lobby are bright modern and clean.
The elevator made my wife joke about the dinosaur in the basement on a treadmill to move it up and down.
Pool and hot tub were seriously disappointing. Peeling paint in both, Had to get the front desk to call the chef, who was doubling as the engineer, to reset the system so the hot tub worked.

But there's the reason it's a 3 instead of a 1 or 2.... the staff was excellent. They never failed to tackle a challenge like the hot tub with a smile and a positive enthusiastic response... especially Melissa at the desk. The housekeepers all greeted us with smiles and made us feel welcome; the bartender was pleasant and helpful. And the chef covers for the engineer when things go wrong.

So, give this staff the high end property they deserve to work in; invest in updating and improving the rooms, hallways and especially pool area. And until you do, cut those prices, paying more for this room than the JW downtown is ludicrous.

Room Tip: 401 on the back corner has a view of the water... mostly the parking lot and the Extended Stay next...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark J, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience with us. I am very delighted to hear that our staff made such a wonderful and positive impression. I agree, Melissa is a superstar and we are very fortunate to have her on our team. I will commend our team for a job well done. Our maintenance staff is available daily until 8:30 pm; I presume that the kitchen chef was called upon to assist in the pool area because there was no other maintenance staff member available at that time. This particular individual works at another establishment as a primary maintenance technician. He is very familiar with pool and spa operation and was available to help in your case. Moreover, the hotel lobby was renovated in May 2012 featuring The Bistro restaurant. We proudly serve Starbucks specialty drinks 24-7 and we are an airport property with daily shuttle services to and from SFO International Airport. Our rooms and guest hallways are scheduled to be renovated in Q4 2013. We are very excited about the upcoming renovation, as it will feature the newest and most modern Courtyard room design/décor. The hotel was slated to upgrade the rooms in Q1 of 2013, but deferred to ensure we invested in the newest design available later this year. Thank you for your patronage and continued support. We look forward to having you as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel staff and a great team. I used to stay here every few months before the refurb of the reception area.

Now it is a nice clean hotel plus a great lobby and a front desk team who are as helpful as any hotel I have stayed in. The shuttle his plus the airport pick up are great.

Right out front is a nice 4 mile run loop along the water which is safe and flat! Always a bonus.

• Stayed: April 2013
Mark J, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for providing us with valuable feed back regarding your stay. I was very delighted to read that you found the front desk staff to be very hospitable and attentive. I will share your comments with our team and commend them for a job well done. Our airport shuttle schedule runs daily, starting at 4:12am with services concluding at 12:13am. On average the shuttle service runs every 25 minutes. Lastly, the hotel is located along the waterfront and features a paved path very popular with cyclists, joggers, and locals enjoying a nice stroll. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to South San Francisco

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was a pleasant stay with the first room on the lagoon and the second stay on the building front, and I can honestly say there was no noise being right off the 101. The front desk staff were great, both stays! Courtyards are my favorite places to stay on business travel, and the folks here were very efficient and friendly!
The airport transport efficient, and the first nights stay they ran a shuttle to Fisherman's Wharf...what a nice treat! Thanks! The open area of the lobby are comfortable and open to a peaceful view. I will definitely plan to stay again.

Room Tip: Water views with a balcony are wonderful!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Mark J, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience with us. I am very happy to hear that both your visits went very well; the services and products were consistent in both experiences. The new CYRB lobby is designed to help our guests eat, drink and connect. Courtyard services and amenities are designed with the business traveler in mind. Starbucks Coffee and healthy food options are aimed at keeping business travelers on the go. The Bistro’s breakfast concept allows hot and fresh items to be delivered quickly and efficiently. We recently added a local bakery that delivers (daily) an array of fresh pastries, muffins, and scones to complement your favorite Starbucks drink. In addition, we are open 7 days a week for dinner. Our full bar has 4 beers on tap and 11 California wine selections. Moreover, I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle service to Pier 39. This service is offered Friday and Saturday with 5 scheduled pick-up times at the hotel. It is a very popular with hotel patrons! The service alternates seasonally; September through February the shuttle transports to Union Square and March through August the shuttle transports to Pier 39 Fisherman’s Wharf. Peak demand for this service extends from May through September and is on a first come, first serve basis. Thank you for your feed back and we look forward to having you as our guest when your travel plans being you back to South San Francisco.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Rooms on the frontside are adjacent to a railway and have a view of a freeway. Rooms on the back side are adjacent to a greenbelt with a bike/walking path and have a view of the bay. Otherwise, this is a typical Courtyard by Marriott hotel. One other thing; the restaurant only serves a full dinner menu Monday through Thursday so, if you stay here over a weekend, I suggest you plan to have dinner somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark J, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The hotel is located along the shore of the San Francisco Bay; specifically at the Oyster Point water inlet and adjacent to the Cal Train rail road track. Hotel rooms facing the rail road are equipped with double panned windows to minimize outside noise. All other hotel rooms share a partial view or full view of the water. Full water view rooms are limited (10% of the room inventory) and are priced at a premium. We accommodate all room requests based on availability. Moreover, The Bistro restaurant menu features five additional items available Monday through Thursday: turkey burger, pan seared salmon fillet, grilled fish (varies), rigatoni with sausage, and NY strip steak. All other dinner menu items are offered 7 days a week. For guests looking for alternative dining, the hotel provides complimentary shuttle services (upon request) to Grand Avenue where patrons can select from over 20 dining options; most businesses are locally owned. In addition, The Bistro features refreshing breakfast choices every morning. We offer specialty Starbucks Coffee beverages 24-7. Thank you for your patronage and continued support. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

With the Sequestration, FAA pulled back on flight controllers, and so my 2 teens, wife, and I were stranded with a canceled flight, delayed flight, and 9pm earliest we can send the kids back home while we boogie, the wife and I. When I went to the Courtyard Marriott they were nothing but yes, yes, yes. I have never had so many attentive employees, great hands-on manager lady, and a very nice and inviting lobby/bar/restaurant/meeting place. Wow, they held a room while I juggled my plans, made things very easy, and made me want to stay, and stay, and stay. Go there and support them. They deserve your business.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CarlsbadJohn_M

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience with us. I am delighted to hear that your visit went well despite your unexpected cancelled flight. Our staff often gets commended by many hotel patrons regarding their commitment to customer service and I happy to read that your experience was no exception. The lobby was renovated in May 2012 and features The Bistro restaurant; open 7 days a week for breakfast and dinner where guests can eat, drink and connect. In addition, we proudly serve Starbucks Coffee 24-7. Moreover, the hotel in adjacent to the bay path; it is very popular with joggers, cyclist, and locals enjoying a walk along the waterfront. Thank you for your patronage and we hope you will visit us again when your travel plans bring you back to South San Francisco.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

You will be happy to check in to the Courtyard and recieve Great service from one of the many front desk staff that know what Good customer service is all about. Phillip was my Desk Clerk and I must say you will not be sorry if you are lucky enough to get him. Service is what makes a hotel stand above others. This one is Perfect.

Room Tip: Any room on the Bay side is the Best.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Mark J, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to provide us with very insightful and positive feedback regarding your stay. I am delighted to hear that you found the staff very helpful and courteous. Specifically, you commended Phillip for his customer service and professionalism. I am excited to share this with him and all of our staff; I will recognize him for a job well done and for taking care of our customers. Thank you

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I earned 2 free nights from 2012 and applied them to this hotel. Parking was a problem at night. Next to a Residence Inn. Biggest disappointment was NO free coffee in the morning. I paid for 2 each on both mornings. At checkout I saw the bill for the 4 coffee's.
When I got my master card bill it was not the same. Couldn't understand the difference.
Its a minor number but come on Marriott.
The room was quite noisy with trains going by frequently. This was not a great hotel by any means. Would not be back. Gotta be better Marriott around.

Room Tip: Book a room oposite the train tracks to the west.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Mark J, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The hotel proudly brews Starbucks Coffee 24-7 in our restaurant, The Bistro; in addition to assorted Tazo Teas. Guestroom coffee amenities include regular and decaf Royal Cup Coffee. On a different note, the minor billing discrepancy you noted in your verbatim is a California Tourism local tax, $0.85 per night. This tax unfortunately is not covered by the free-night certificate you utilized for your visit. I apologize if our staff did not provide you with a final copy of the billing, illustrating this tax. Lastly, the hotel is located adjacent to a rail road track. Rooms facing in this direction are equipped with double paned windows and other insulation features. I would encourage that you contact a guest service representative when any aspect of your guest room is less than satisfactory and would prefer an alternative room assignment. We understand that patrons have different noise tolerance when getting a good night’s rest. Guest satisfaction is very important to our staff. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco ...
#1 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Residence Inn San Francisco Airp...
#7 of 28 in South San Francisco
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport North
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Fra...
#13 of 28 in South San Francisco
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/O...
#16 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront? Share your experiences!