Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
$205
$179
Hampton.com
2,146 results
All reviewsbest westernssan franciscobreakfast buffetfree shuttlerental caryogurtcomfortable rooman early flightfront desk staffnext morningparking feepark and flyconvenient locationshuttle servicebwbiancasfo
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel four times in the last year and a half. When I made my first visit, there was free parking, free breakfast and a per night rebate if you booked your stay through the hotel's own website. Three visits later, the parking is now $3 per night, the breakfast may or may not be free (more below) and the rebate for booking through the hotel's website has disappeared completely.

Since most people want to know if a place is clean and safe, I'll start out by saying that I've never found cleanliness to be a problem. One day during my current stay my room wasn't cleaned, but I wasn't too put out because I'm not a slob. I just pocketed the tip I'd left for Housekeeping and didn't bother to report it. Though the commercial strip the hotel is located in isn't exactly pedestrian friendly, it isn't unsafe. There just isn't much in the area worth walking around to...just hotels, gas stations and a few restaurants. I will say I was a bit annoyed that the Sunday night I stayed here they had one of the two passenger elevators out of service. That night the 49er's played a home game and there were a lot of fans that returned to the hotel late. The lack of elevator capacity was definitely missed that evening.

As for my concerns about the value proposition of the hotel, the extra charges aren't outrageous, but if someone is watching their money, the ancillary costs can definitely add up. For instance, the parking is $3, which is a bargain by downtown hotel standards. But this isn't downtown San Francisco and the hotel across the street provides free parking during guest stays. The morning breakfast has always been free when I stayed here. However, on this visit, the person at the check-in desk (who I have dealt with on past visits and have always found to be friendly) informed me that I would have to pay $8.75 each day if I wanted their breakfast buffet. Apparently my offense was having the audacity to book my room through my airline's website instead of the hotel's own website. I found the clerk's tone to be someone curt when she informed me that I should always book through the hotel's website to get my free breakfast...which I don't always even get to take advantage of. It felt like she wanted me to know I was being punished for not booking through the hotel. The problem with this is that while the airline websites and discount travel websites almost always show rooms with Queen-sized beds available on their websites for this hotel, the hotel's own website won't reflect those same rooms being available for the same dates of stay...they want you to book a King or Double room or a suite. Finally, there is little incentive to book through the hotel's website now that they did away with the online rebate that was previously offered. Apparently they've decided that a free breakfast will have to suffice, but guests that have stayed here before know better...it formerly was free breakfast AND a rebate.

The other things I can quibble about are the lack of laundry facilities on site (again, the hotel across the street has them.) Twice during stays here I've had to use a laundromat because no self-service laundry was available. Also, the hotel provides free Wi-Fi service, but on this visit at least, I found it so slow to be almost unusable. I generally found myself using a wireless modem card provided by my employer.

I would probably stay here again, but I'll keep a closer eye on prices for other hotels in the area next time. If they are similar, it might warrant trying someplace else for once.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Macmanmk
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2010

I would like to start out by thanking you for staying with us four times! We really appreciate it. Thank you also for your comment on our cleanliness. I remember when our elevator unexpectedly went out of service - Murphy's Law. I apologize about that. We did make a couple of minor changes with our website offerings, which includes complimentary breakfast when you book on our website. In lieu of the rebate, we have matched our rates on our website to the rates on other websites. Although we do not have a self-service laundry on site, we do offer daily dry cleaning services. I apologize if you didn't receive our best service at the front desk - this will be addressed. We hope to see you again, and thank you for taking the time to post your review!

Reviewed October 14, 2010

The reason for our trip was to go the Sunday night 49ers game. The hotel offered a bus to and from the game at a great price. We wanted to get to the game earlier so Veronica at the front desk was able to get us a Town Car (very comfortable, leather, professional driver!) to get us to the game earlier. She was able to offer advice on how to get around, which was very helpful being first timers from NY. I read through the reviews (which is what all should do!) so I knew breakfast would be included since I booked with Best Western and not another vendor. We got a ongreat rate and received an awesome breakfast considering it was free! Choices included: Bananas, Apples, Yogurt, Danishes, Croissant , Busicuit w/awesome country gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage & white or wheat toast (second night offered the donuts & french toast in addition)Coffee, Orange Juice , Cranberrry Juice & Water.

The free airport shuttle was extremely convinent. We skipped out on the $50 taxi fee by taking the shuttle to the airport and board at the BART station to downtown.

Our room was very clean and though furnishings a bit outdated , quite pleasant and comfortable. We had a non smoking floor- though the second night we got back the hall smelled of smoke and marijuana - as soom as we let the staff know they were right on it checking all rooms and get rid of the problem. When we got back you would have never known there was a problem. The pool area was clean , though it was a bit chilly out so we did not use it.
We would definitely stay here again!
Thanks!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arelis_245
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2010

Go 9ers! I am very happy that you liked our 49ers Tailgate Package! We do the driving, the cooking and housekeeping - you just have to relax and have a good time! Thanks for your nice mention of Veronica - she will be pleased. Thank you for your nice review, and remember, we're not far from AT&T Park where the San Francisco Giants play (and as you know just a short trip to Candlestick to see the 49ers)...we are your home base for all of the exciting Bay Area sporting events. We hope to see you again soon and I hope the Rochester winter isn't too hard on you. There's always sunny California and the Best Western Grosvenor!

Reviewed October 10, 2010

I made a reservation on Hotel.com for Oct 6,2010 and when I arrived was told breakfast was not allow with the rate from Hotel. Com. The addtional cost would be $9 per erson. I receivied a letter from tJim McGuire That I would receive an Compimentary breakfast. Misleading information from both Best Western and hotel.com

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank greg3341
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2010

Thank you for your posting. I am sorry that there was confusion regarding breakfast. Our breakfast policy is clearly explained on Hotels.com, stating that there is a nominal fee. As I mentioned in my personal email to you, please feel free to contact me directly so I can hopefully rectify this situation for you. We appreciate your feedback. Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2010

After a long transatlantic flight it was nice to have a hotel so close to the airport.It was very easy to locate the shuttle bus that took us to the hotel.Check in was very swift and prompt,staff very courteous.We were given a deluxe queen room which was furnished nicely ,beds very comfortable.Breakfast included a hot buffet which we enjoyed.We only spent one night here as we had booked down town for a couple of nights to see all the sights.It was a really nice hotel and i would certainly recommend it.Check out also very smooth,staff really helpful as regards our onward travel

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2010

I am very happy to hear that you liked our beds - especially now that we have brand new, cozy duvets and decorative pillows and scarves on all of our beds! We love our International guests and I'm happy that we could provide you with a comfortable accommodation after your long flight from Ireland! Thank you for your kind review!
Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2010

We needed somewhere to stay for one night before returning a hire car and flying back to London at the end of a California holiday. Many of the airport hotels had mixed reviews but we were extremely satisfied that we chose the Best Western Grosvenor. Convenient location, easy to find from the freeway. We had no trouble parking. Registration (both in and out) was handled quickly and kindly, with a further member of staff at hand to answer questions and provide info. The room was spacious and clean. Computers were available for guests without lap tops. Boarding passes were generated and printed out correctly. A problem free overnight stop. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

To Our Friends in London: We appreciate your nice review of our hotel and I am happy that everything was to your satisfaction. Our close promimity to San Francisco International Airport makes us a favorite for our international guests. Thank you again, and hope to see you when you return to the States!
Jim McGuire, General Manager