“Stayed as part of a tour”

Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Clean and comfortable room. Friendly and helpful staff. Adequate choices of breakfast but not great. The dining menu and food were good. Good variety of resturant nearby eg. McDonald, Chinese, American etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,086)

Reviewed July 3, 2012

This is an older property (late 70s?) that has been extensively, but not quite completely, renovated. My room had newer carpets, wallpaper, draperies, furniture, and a good size flat-screen tv. The bathroom had newer tile work and toilet but the sink, tub/shower and possibly the light fixture seemed original. To be fair, these are among the most difficult things to replace in a hotel room, and there was nothing actually wrong with any of them. The room was acceptably clean but not quite spotless. There was an individual heater/air conditioner unit installed under the window but controlled by a digital thermostat on the wall. Interestingly it had a sticker suggesting to 'set a constant fan rate for better sleep' This is certainly good advice but the only options seemed to be auto cycle and off. Anyway the unit kept the room quite comfortable.
Now the location, wedged between the freeway and a light industrial area on the edge of SFO airport, is nothing spectacular. It could have been loud, but my room, which looked towards the end of the runway, was perfectly quiet despite only being single glazed. The airport shuttle takes little more than five minutes once you've made a stop at the Holiday Inn Express across the street, so for this reason its an excellent place to stopover when transiting SFO.

And that was exactly what I was doing when I booked it. Now unbeknownst to me, I had stumbled into the middle of the US Open golf tournament being held nearby. For this reason every hotel in the area (and there are many) that wasn't sold out was charging $3-400/nt for a basic room. That should have clued me in, but somehow I managed to find this place for $120/nt on the British Airways vacations site, so I put up my credit card, received my 'prepaid hotel voucher' from them, and thought no more of it. I even called the day before I arrived to make sure they had my reservation - they did.
However, when I arrived the front desk had no record of my pre-payment, and wanted to charge me again! The desk staff, and the manager on duty were initially not very interested in either my story or my voucher, so I called the BA help line (kudos to them for having a real person answer at 3am UK time!) and let them work it out. The manager did make one more attempt after saying that BA had given him an invalid card number to charge the room to, but finally agreed that this was an issue between Best Western and BA and had nothing to do with me. At that, I put up my credit card for the incidental charges and completed the check in.
Now, it has occurred to me that since the going rate for a room that weekend was 3-4 times what I had managed to book mine for, the entire exercise might simply have been an attempt to get more money out of me. The rate I paid - apparently the standard rate for non-special event times - was only available through the one website and may very well have been a mistake. I suppose I will never truly know. However, to the hotel's credit, there has been no attempt to charge anything further to my card in the several weeks since my stay.

Notwithstanding the issues at checkin, I was actually rather impressed with the way the place was run. I ordered room service, just a burger, and it arrived within 20 minutes. It was simple, but fresh, tasty, and cooked perfectly. There is free wifi available throughout the property, and I found it reasonably fast. No messing about with vouchers or even passwords, just a click-through page of terms & conditions and away you go. Similarly, there are no vouchers for the breakfast buffet, just wander into the restaurant and help yourself. It's an impressive spread too: fruit, cereals, toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage patties, biscuits, tea, coffe, and juices. Much better than the stale coffe and staler doughnuts 'continental breakfast' you find at many hotels.

In sum, would I stay here again? Not if I was being a tourist in SanFrancisco - its too far from downtown. If I was transiting the airport again? Yes, I would, but I would book with the hotel directly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Hello Vancouver and thank you for your very detailed review! We really appreciate all of your nice comments, and I do apologize for any confusion during your check-in process. I was glad to see it worked out. You write great reviews - you hold the reader captive! We hope to see you again and this time with a smoother check in! Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed July 2, 2012

stayed around 2nd week of june. hotel looks crammed. no sense of architecture in lobby / lounge

rooms are decent. spacious. a bit old. was some problem with phone but repair service was quick.

The gripe with this place AND PROBABLY A DETERRENT: RESTAURANT SERVICE
we are fairly travelled : New Zealand, Dubai, Singapore, Europe, Malay-asia etc
Nowhere was it even hinted to us to pick up plates after after the breakfast. At some places, as a general courtesy, we followed suit where we found others were doing it.

HERE, IN A UNIQUE HOTEL OF THE WORLD, THE RESTAURANT MANAGER SPECIFICALLY ASKED US TO PICK UP AFTER WE WERE THROUGH. ( WE ALTHOUGH DIDNT NOTICE ANYBODY ELSE DOING THAT). I FELT A QUITE ANGRY ( IN FRONT OF MY FAMILT ETC) STILL WE DID PICK UP THE PLATES AND STARTED LEAVING. BUT THE HEIGHT OF IMSENSITIVITY - HE STOPPED US AND ASKED US TO CLEAN UP THE BUTTER AND JAM LEFTOVER PACKINGS.

when i pointed this out to the front desk lady, she simply said " this is the restaurant policy and you will have to abide by it and that the hotel does not have a say in this'

I have no other words after this for my fellow self discerning tourists

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank globetrotter_delhi
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Greetings Delhi, and thank you for your review. I apologize about the situation you had in the restaurant. I am somewhat puzzled about it, due to the fact we do not have a Restaurant Manager and the restaurant is part of the operation of the hotel, not a separate entity. I am sorry if you thought you were singled out to collect your own dishes. This is certainly unlike our normal level of service. Thank you for your thoughts, I will be sure to share them with the appropriate personnel. Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We arrived late in the area. Called several cabs for pick up and couldn't get through so called the front desk and asked them to help us get a cab to th hotel. Desk man only offered me another phone number, call myself.

Woke up in the morning. Shower control was visibly messed up. Tried to get water on and regulated, so messed up that I couldn't even get the water off. No shower for me. New person at front desk said they'd send someone. 1 hr later, I went to lobby to meet my group and told front desk again that the water was still running. When she radios the maintenance guy there was a total disconnect in the first request. Maintenance guy didnt know what she was talking about. Either he didn't hear her of she didn't make the call, I'll never know but then she turns to me and offers me to take a shower somewhere else, now that I'm already in the lobby dressed and have 11 people waiting on me.

Then, I get back, get the shower, yeah, they had fixed it. Plug in the hair straightener, that I've owned with no issues for more than a year, use it for 5 minutes, try to unplug it. Sparks fly though the room and the $80 iron and wall plate are ruined.

Go downstairs, tell the front desk at this point I'm thinking one of the days off stay should be refunded due to seriously neglectful guest care and room maintenance and the desk guys tells me he'll have to check with the maintenance guy and her back to me.

When I arrive back at my hotel 5 hours later, no message from the desk or manager. I've had better care from motel 6. This hotel is pretty overpriced to begin with. We have stayed here before. It's a simple serviceable room with comfy beds but the value was questionable before this trip and I really don't think I asked for too much consideration given the circumstances.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Bonstrr
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Hello Bonstrr - thank you for posting your thoughts on your stay. I am very sorry about the shower in your room. This is quite unusual and I am sure it was frustrating for you. I do recall the front desk agent informing me of your hair straightener and I also spoke with the manager on duty who helped you with this situation. Apparantely, it was forced into the electrical socket incorrectly, forcing it to spark. At least this is what was apparent by what we saw on the prong of the hair straightener. I am sorry that you were in a rush to leave in the morning when I wanted to see you after breakfast so I could apologize in person. I would be more than happy to reimburse you for your hair straightener, please contact me directly. I do apologize for any inconvenience. Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Was a very good stay at a reasonable price, rooms were clean and comfortable. Just make sure to ask for a room opposite the highway. My only comments would be the shuttle is vey slow only every half hour, and there was always long lines to check in and check out.... I wonder why they do not relocate the local Area shuttles to the rental car center? That would simplify the o/d for the guests, much easier the. Going to multiple terminal stops... Overall I give this hotel 3.5 of 5 rating.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Hello Plano Texas! Thanks for your review. To address your question about the shuttle, all of the hotel's shuttles must make stops at each of the domestic terminals and the International terminal - this gives guests the opportunity to step off our complimentary shuttle and go directly to their respective airline's check-in counter. I apologize if the shuttles were busy. We do appreciate your comments, and hope to see you again! Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed June 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here June 7th as we were catching a flight out of SFO the next morning, The place was well run, the airport shuttle was timely however if your catching it at a popular time there is a possibility that it could be real full. The Hotel is older but clean, the restaurant on site was not a culinary experience but all in all, it served our purpose well. A place to park our truck for the week, a shuttle to and from the airport. One of the things that I didn't like was one of the hotel employees entered our room while we were in the hotel restaurant and made a towel arrangement on our bed for when we returned. The artistry was great but I really would prefer that no one enters my room in my absence. All in all, I would stay there again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Hello Eureka - thank you for posting your review! It sounds like you received turn down service that you didn't request - sorry about that! I've already discussed this with our Director of Housekeping. We hope to see you again! Jim McGuire, General Manager

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Because of the US Open the hotel was full but the staff did a nice job checking everyone in and the shuttle to the airport was on time. A nice feature with a 4:30 am shuttle was that they had grab and go breakfast bags. I was not expecting any breakfast at that time so was indeed a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Hello Bob - I am glad you enjoyed our early "Breakfast to Go", which starts at 4AM. Thanks for your comments and hope to see you again! Jim McGuire, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco ...
#1 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco  Airport North
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francis...
#16 of 28 in South San Francisco
Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport-North
Holiday Inn Express San Francisc...
#12 of 28 in South San Francisco
Ramada Limited San Francisco Airport North
Ramada Limited San Francisco Air...
#4 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!