“Motel Quality at best”

Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 7, 2011

This hotel is older than old. Just because they put a flat screen TV and a new comforter does not mean that it is new or recently updated. The room smelled musty and the fixtures were from 1940. They also indicated there would be a refridgerator in the room and there was not. I was close to the elevator and heard every time it would ding. I went to the restaurant to get dinner and I felt like I walked into the Regal Begal (AKA the bar in Three's Company sitcom). It has not been updated since at least 1960. Besides the atmosphere, the food was not edible. I ordered pork chops and they were thin, with a bone and completely surrounded in fat. After cutting off all the fat, there was about a 2" dia of pork left. I sent it back and they did credit me, rightfully so. But they had the audacity to charge me $2.50 for the cup of soup I had. Really?? You would have looked better if you would have just credited the whole bill. Clearly they need every penny they can get. This hotel is not is such a great area and the people who stayed here did not look very reputable. I think this has a lot to do with them allowing people to park there for free while traveling. Staying there one night is less than paying for parking at the airport. Overall, I would not leave a dead dog to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer M
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please know that we do have refrigerators available upon request. I am very happy to say that we are now in the process of renovating our restaurant (amongst many other areas in the hotel) to include new carpeting and new chairs, and it looks beautiful. I have shared your comments with our Chef regarding your dissatisfaction with your meal so he can make corrections to the pork chop entree. We do not allow anyone to park for free at our hotel, I am sorry if you thought we did. If you should change your mind and give us another try, I am confident that you will have a better experience. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,086)

Reviewed June 3, 2011

Free airport shuttle.
Average size rooms, and quite noisy.
Only free coffee maker, no tea.
Included breakfast quite good , with a reasonable selection.
Polite and helpful front desk staff, good service.
I Hop annd Mcdonalds next door.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Couldn't beat the $79 rate. Opted to stay at an airport hotel for one night since our flight arrived late. Caught the shuttle back to the airport early the next morning to rent a car. We saved a lot of money between not having to pay downtown hotel rates and an extra car rental day.
For an airport hotel it was good. Airport Shuttle bus runs every few minutes. Continental breakfast included in some rates. McDonalds across the street as another option.
No bathroom amenities.
Coffee maker in room.
Clean & adequate for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Based on other reviews, I booked my husband and I a room at this hotel while we were in San Francisco. The Check-in/out staff are amazing. The room was beautiful and very clean. It was our anniversary and we had eaten clam chowder in sourdough bowls for lunch and so we weren't hungry for a big celebration dinner. We went down to the lounge in the hotel where they have drink special and 1/2 price appetizers. We had a drink and a couple of the appetizers and watched one of the championship basketball games on their HUGE screen. It was a very enjoyable evening. The next morning we went to the free breakfast buffet and were very surprised at what a wonderful selection there was. Scrambled eggs, ham, pancakes, sweetrolls, muffins, croissants, cereal, yougart and much more. It was all very delicious. They even had flavored coffee creamers!

Many people complained about having to pay for parking, we were not charged anything. Maybe they charge if you do the stay and fly where you leave you car there for a while, I really don't know. We did hear a little plane noise but not enough to disturb our sleep.

We would definately stay here again if we were in the area and will be recommending it to others.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Knittingnut
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2011

Thank you for your great review and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our Lounge and our breakfast! I hope you make us a tradition on your Anniversaries! Congratulations and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed May 16, 2011

I stayed in room 204 for one night.

The Good – Near airport and reasonably priced for this amenity. Attractive lobby area. Courteous staff. Big, (looks new) McDonald’s directly across the street. Nice room décor, complimentary wifi in rooms, nice complimentary breakfast buffet. Upon request, a frig and microwave were delivered to my room very quickly.

The Bad – Street and air traffic noise – not sound-proofed. (Doesn’t matter which side as planes fly over.) Vintage TV remote issues. Asked for a quiet room and got a room with both adjacent rooms adjoining, one with children, one with loud young men, plus street side.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2011

This is absolutely the best hotel deal that I have found in a long time. For less than ninety bucks, you get a really nice room in a very modern hotel. The rooms are clean, the beds are nice and the hotel staff is friendly- at least by San Francisco standards. You can walk to the car rental return location from here (4-5 blocks) and there are a few restaurants located within 100 yards. We were both really impressed by this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Shop Internet prices- the rates vary a lot
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brw115
GeneralManager650, General Manager at Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

Wow - thanks for the great review! It means a lot to us to hear such positive feedback! I will be sure to share your review with our entire staff and we hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2011

overall, this has to have been one of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed at. Everything was sparkling clean. The lobby also smelled really good. It's very clear that they take a great deal of pride in their hotel being sparkling clean.

The breakfast was also outstanding, as was the coffee. Each day that we stayed, there was something different for breakfast. Even the coffee creamer flavors were different each day.

The only bad thing is that they charge for parking. While they may, or may not mention it during check in, there is a $5/per night charge to park your car in the hotel's open and unprotected lot that will be added to your bill upon checkout. When I mentioned this on an internal best western review, I received an email from the manager basically stating that the reason for the parking fee is that all of the other hotels do it, so they figured they would too. Rest assured though, this wasn't a major problem, just a minor annoyance. I would definitely not let the parking fee stop you from staying here.

So the bottom line is, that the next time I go to SF, I will definitely stay at the Grosvenor again, and would highly recommend it to other people.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexUCI

Hello Alex and thank you for your great review! I am very pleased that you found our hotel "sparkling clean!" I will be sure to share your wonderful comments with our new Director of Housekeeping and our entire staff! These types of comments keeps us very motivated to ensure the best possible stay for all of our guests! Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco ...
#1 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco  Airport North
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francis...
#16 of 28 in South San Francisco
Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport-North
Holiday Inn Express San Francisc...
#12 of 28 in South San Francisco
Ramada Limited San Francisco Airport North
Ramada Limited San Francisco Air...
#4 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!