“Amazing bargain through Hotwire”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco
Reviewed October 2, 2009

We booked this 5 months in advance through Hotwire - got a suite for 5 people (3 adults & 2 kids) for $79. a night. Parking was $15 a night and internet access another $13.95 (odd - since wi-fi is free everywhere else). But even with all the additional charges this was still a great bargain.

Older style with rooms all around an atrium and glass elevators. Fun Koi pond in atrium (kids like to watch them during breakfast). Managers Reception in the evening (week days) with free drinks and snacks (nacho chips with hot cheese sauce and chex mix). Breakfast a full HOT meal - made to order eggs with all the sides. You have to use a meal ticket so there is only one plate for the hot stuff but unlimited pastries, fruit and drinks.

Room is an actual "suite" with a door between living and bed rooms. Large spaces and comfortable. Room was getting a tiny bit worn around the edges - but it could be that Hotwire guests are put in the rooms that haven't been updated for a while. That being said - it was still a wonderful experience. Pool is large for a hotel. Bath towels super large and plush. LOTS of drawers and cupboard space. Nice little fridge & microwave with wet sink in kitchenette area (as well as one in the bedroom vanity and of course in the bath).

Used the business center to check into our home bound flight and print boarding passes. This is a great "home base" to visit the Bay Area. Drive was only 15 or so to downtown and Fisherman's Wharf.

We would recommend and stay here again.

1  Thank akaSALLY

Reviewed September 27, 2009

I have stayed at many Embassy Suites across the country. I will never choose this one again. The $15.00 parking fee was a surprise. I can see where San Francisco city hotels might want to do this due to a lack of parking space but this was unreasonable for outside of the city. The staff pretend to hear what you are saying and then go off on a tangent. For example, I went to the front desk and told them "the toilet was plugged". The woman apologized and then re-issued my room card key! When registering, I approached the clerk and waited as he finished up with his current customer. A man arrived at the hotel and walked up to a side counter and the clerk said that he would help me after that man. I had to tell him that I was next in line. This weekend, the place was full of unsupervised children of all ages. Didn't even try the swimming pool, which had water tracks all over the hallway floors. What a safety hazard. The Manager's Reception and the complimentary breakfast were both disrupted by the children running wild everywhere and cutting in lines. The last time I had such an experience was at a $59.00 per night Travel Lodge in Orlando, FL.

1  Thank TbugEG
Reviewed September 11, 2009

When I arrived and checked into the room they assigned me, there was trash in it and a dirty carpet. I was then reassigned another room which was clean, but had old dishes outside of it in the hallway. These dishes remained there throughout the night and were there when I left. Also, its unfathomable to charge for outside parking, although parking accessibility is good at this building. The breakfast was very good, and their service was also fine. I have never had an unsatisfactory experience with Embassy Suites, but I would not recommend this hotel. Its also old and showing its age, needs upgrading and refinement.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank OrangeCountyBrad
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Stayed there 4 nights over Labor Day weekend. Resent the $15/night parking fee, but, otherwise fine. Chairs in lobby need replacing, but our room was very nice. Liked that we had 3 sinks - one in bathroom, one in bar area, and one in bedroom. I never received my wake-up call but awoke anyway. They do have a shuttle some days to the Wharf - ask about that.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JudithAnn50
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in South San Francisco (which is one of their two airport locations) for a night before flying back home from vacation, and while the rooms are the same good size that you usually find at an ES location, I had so many service issues that I can't recommend anyone stay there.

First, the airport shuttle never came and they had to pay me back for a cab (which, granted, was a nice thing for them to offer). Then the gift shop wasn't open when it said it should be on the sign, and when I asked what was going on, there was no apology or explanation but just the comment that "sometimes they just leave for a while". They then suggested that I walk half a mile down the road to the gas station convenience store if I needed something, which I proceeded to do because I really DID need something. The phone in my room also didn't work at all - couldn't make calls (even within the hotel), and it would ring but you couldn't answer it for incoming ones. No one had anything helpful to say about that issue, either. I also had to eventually just leave cash on the table after taking my son to eat there (so-so food) because I couldn't find anyone to give me the check. AND I got a shock when I plugged my laptop into the faulty, cracked outlet on the wall in my room, but when I mentioned it at check-out - really as a courtesy to them so they'd know to fix it - no one apologized again.

The fact is, there are way too many other choices near the San Francisco airport to put up with that nonsense. Don't stay here.

1  Thank leighcecilia
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Did you guys really stay at this hotel--the one in South San Francisco. You know, Embassy Suites? On Gateway Boulevard? Because reading these reviews makes me wonder.
This is a beautiful hotel. Very nicely furnished with rich-brown woods and brass. Become a Hilton Honors member for free and you'll stay on one of the uppermost floors. Very quiet, very friendly, very bright suite. Plenty of room for the six of us. Two flat-screen hdtvs, a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker that brews individual cups, a dining table/workstation that seats four, a pullout queen sofabed.
The hotel also has a very nice indoor pool and a large hot tub, along with a fitness room, coin-operated laundry (or valet laundry), a gift shop (prices weren't too bad), and computer use. There's also a bar and restaurant onsite.
The manager's reception with free drinks and snacks is outstanding, and the cooked-to-order breakfast is incomparable. I have yet to find a hotel chain that outdoes the Embassy Suites for these and other reasons.
Area is safe, too.
We paid under $130 for a suite to fit six people, which is a steal. This was by far the nicest hotel of the four we stayed in on this trip, and the least expensive. Go figure.
Those who gave bad ratings are misleading the public. This is a fine establishment.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Wow! Where to start? Plusses include the following.

The suite was beautiful with many nice touches including small refrig and microwave. Best bed ever. All rooms look out on a central atrium--gorgeous! Despite much traffic and business in the courtyard during certain times of the day, our room was utterly quiet when our door was closed.

Fabulous free breakfast including made-to-order omelets and several other hot food choices. Tables in the atrium were placed beside running water and a little bridge--perfect for unwinding in the late afternoon with drinks or dinner from the hotel bar and restaurant.

Small swimming pool--not exceptional, but indoors and therefore usable all year. Small business center available 24 hrs. with 3 terminals and free Internet use.
Free parking.

Except for one employee I reached on the phone before our arrival, who was terse and even rude, the staff was attentive, eager to please and very helpful.

Disadvantage: Hotel is located in a business complex neighborhood. If you don't want to eat in the hotel restaurant, you'll need a car.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheryl P
Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco ...
#1 of 28 in South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport (SFO) - Waterfront
0 mi away
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport North
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/...
#6 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco

Address: 250 Gateway Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080-7018
Location: United States > California > South San Francisco
#5 Romantic Hotel in South San Francisco
Price Range: $135 - $353 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites San Francisco Airport Hotel South San Francisco