“OK choice if you're not picky about the room temperature”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco
Reviewed April 7, 2009

As other reviewers have noted, the ability to control the temperature of your suite is limited. What we experienced is this: if the building is providing heat, you can have heat. If you want your room cooler while the building is running heat, too bad -- open the window and hope that it's cooler outside. On the flip side, other reviewers noted problems getting heat when their room wasn't warm enough. If you're particularly temperature sensitive, this isn't your place.

We chose the hotel for its proximity to the airport. It's very quick drive yet not so close that jet noise is a problem. The room price was quite reasonable, especially compared with the prices at downtown San Francisco hotels.

We stayed on a Saturday night, and then returned for a second night the following Friday. Both times, breakfast was pretty crowded and there were groups of rowdy teenagers. Maybe it was just a coincidence, although another reviewer noted "There were a lot of children's groups staying in the hotel." Not a deal breaker, but not your typical Embassy Suites experience, either.

There aren't many dining options in the immediate vicinity, so we ate at the hotel restaurant. The food was good and the service was attentive -- no complaints here.

I've stayed at many Embassy Suites, and the climate control issue is the only reason I would recommend against this particular property.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco

Reviewed March 30, 2009

Older hotel that has been updated nicely. Warm, inviting woods and colors, only a small refrigerator in rooms, no longer have microwave ovens.
Atrium area is lush, peaceful and relaxing to enjoy drinks or dining. Downside is, the hotels (or corporate) energy saving plan that is not conducive to a nice nights stay.

My room was cold, could not get the heat to come on. Called Maintenance, he said they have a policy statement at the front desk explaining you turn the heat on to 67*, and the heat "goes on". The hotel actually has two modes for the room thermostat. THEY control what mode the rooms will default to: "Cooling" or "Heating". I've only been in the winter months and it is ALWAYS in the "Cooling" mode. Hence, no heat above 67*

Regardless if you want the room warmer, you WON'T get the heat above 67*. I had to sleep in multiple layers of clothing and add a blanket to the bed. Not an enjoyable stay for me.
Resorted to hanging the blow dryer on the bathroom door hook & aiming it into the bedroom for heat. ... Pathetic.

They now have space heaters they will bring up to the room at no charge. Don't they get it?

Cannot get hot water either. Took two showers during my stay, ran the water for 8 mins. waiting for hot water. Never came. Three sink faucets in the rooms as well, no hot water either. Tepid warm water at best at various times of the day or night.

Receiving breakfast is mandated by your breakfast voucher, there is a man guarding the entry of the eating area. {If you sneak down early, he might not be manning the entrance} You must have a voucher for each & every guest, provide your room number & name. He crosschecks your name/room# against his clipboard, which is a bit disconcerting to me. Not a buffet style anymore either, only one hot meal per person so you must choose between eggs or pancakes & you must give your voucher to the line staff; one size portions only and no second helpings. You can get all the cereal, toast & muffins you can eat.

Was here for business so my company paid. I would never pay to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Califsunlover
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We spent 1 1/2 nights here in route from Honolulu HI back home to NJ. Our flight arrived into San Francisco at 4:30 am. We had booked and paid for that night to make sure there would be a room ready for us when we arrived. The hotel shares a shuttle with other hotels in the area that goes to the airport but we were much too tired to try and find it. Instead, we took a taxi. It was a very short ride as the hotel is very close to the airport.

Check in was interesting. I think the staff memeber was half asleep. At first, he wanted to charge me for 1/2 day so I could have a room right away. I had to pull out my confirmation details to show him that we had booked a room for that night AND the next night. He finally figured it out and off we went.

We were on the 7th floor. We had a two bedroom suite and it was clean. I did notice cracks in the vanity in the bathroom and the tile around the tub/shower.

There were two large flat screen T.V.s. I liked the built in desk area in the living part of the suite. The desk had wheels so you can turn it in different directions. There was also an ergonomic chair. There was an extra sink in the bedroom which was nice since the bathroom was pretty small.

The lobby area was very pretty and the atrium featured a tropical theme with Palm Trees and koi fish.

The business center was small and the printer was broken.

Breakfast was not very enjoyable. They checked your room number against a clipboard and that seemed to hold up the very long line. They gave out numbers for the made-to orders. I heard the chef yell at a lady in front of me one morning. She was Japanese and translating for her children to find out what they wanted. She was not taking too much time but he said "I will move on to the next person if you can't make up your mind NOW" I thought that was really rude!

There were a lot of children's groups staying in the hotel. That made for a crowded pool and breakfast area.

We were able to use the shuttle to return to the aiport with on problem. If I just needed a quick place to crash for the night, this hotel would be okay. I would not recommend staying here for any length of time beyond that!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2008

We enjoyed our 3-night stay at the Embassy Suites South San Francisco Airport very much. Good service. The breakfast, cooked to order was great. It's close to the aiport, and not that far from San Francisco Downtown.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Stayed for a 3-night stay, came into the room and the carpet seemed wet, at first I thought "Oh, maybe they just cleaned it" but turns it, its always like this because its DIRTY. Walked around in the room for couple of minutes and feet were black immediately. Rooms include sofabeds, but don't include the bedding and pillows, and when you try to call the front desk to get ANYTHING, no one answers... Tried calling for a full hour straight, still no answer. Had to go down to the front desk myself to request for pillows and blanket, and when someone finally comes knocking, they end up bringing us towels!! The whole room is not cleaned very well, very dusty all around... seems like very lazy house keeping... we even found toys left by the former occupants of the room! Bathrooms are old, with poor pressure and the door would always be stuck at the top and you would have to push very hard to get in or out. Refridgerator and microwave are extremely old... from maybe 30, 40 years ago! (At least they worked). As an airport hotel, you would think internet would be free, but they charged $10 for 24hours, and only for 1 laptop! We had 2 laptops and you would have to pay another $10 for the other laptop!!!! Overall very bad experience!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stay at Embassy Suites often when we travel, because they are so family-friendly, and my husband is an active Hilton Honors member. In San Francisco, we chose to stay at this hotel because of its location and value as well. The hotel itself was very nice. Unfortunately, the staff was not. During our 4-day stay, they were very understaffed, and what staff they had was very cranky. We asked twice to have the manager call us to correct some parking fees, and we finally had to track him down ourselves. The breakfast items were not re-stocked, and the omlette chef barked at everyone. Next time I would pay the extra cost to stay at the Embassy Suites on the other side of the airport!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent 3-night stay at the Embassy Suites South San Francisco Airport. Being very familiar with the Embassy Suites concept and quality, I did not read other reviews until after our stay and must say I was quite surprised at some of the negative comments. Our stay here was top notch with very few minor glitches.

Our initial impression was that the hotel reception and atrium area are beautiful. Open, airy and furnished in an art deco manner. The reception desk staff gave a lukewarm welcome, but they were efficient in their jobs, if not overly friendly. We had no problems in this regard.

Elevators were slow and we were assigned a suite on the 10th floor. This seems to be one of the issues with this style of hotel with the big open atrium- glass elevators in short supply (5 elevators for the whole hotel) and seem to attract children who want to use them as amusement rides. Since we were on a leisure trip, this was not too much of a problem.

Our suite was spacious, well-furnished and very comfortable. It appeared to have been recently refurbished. By looking more closely at some of the public areas, it became clear that the building is older, but a lot of updating has been done recently. From reading previous reviews, I can see this presented problems for some, but it appears to be completely finished now.

The only issue with our suite was the sliding glass doors to our "balcony". We couldn't get them to stay closed enough to seal out the ever-present wind. It was always howling through them. Not sure if this was an issue just in our suite, or if it's a problem throughout the hotel. At any rate, it was not a big problem for us and we just pulled the heavy drapes closed to block out some of the noise or cool air.

We had no problems whatsoever in controlling the environment in our suite. I was shocked to read the reviews which mentioned the inability to increase the suite temperature above 67. We had our thermostat up to 71 at one point and then easily turned it back down when it got too warm.

There is, of course, a separate living area from the bedroom. The living area included a work desk on wheels which could be rolled into better position, a flat-panel TV, comfortable couch (which could be folded out into a sleeper sofa) and an upholstered arm chair. In addition, there is a kitchenette/bar area with small sink, mini-fridge and microwave.

Our bedroom included two full-size beds. We would have preferred a king size bed; not sure if they're not available or just weren't an option for our particular dates of stay, but the beds were comfortable enough and had nice linens. There was a wall unit on the opposite wall with an armoire, dresser and vanity area (separate from the bathroom vanity). The bathroom was on the small side, but with the separate second sink/vanity area, it was not a problem.

Parking was a bit of an issue, especially with conferences going on during our stay, but we always managed to find a space. Many spaces are marked compact, to the point that it could definitely be an issue on a crowded day. The CalTrain station is an easy walk from the hotel. The CalTrain will take you into San Francisco or San Jose.

Although we did not use the pool/spa area, it looked attractive and was never overly crowded from what we could see.

Previous reviewers have mentioned the manager's reception and free breakfast. I'd like to set the record straight on these two complimentary services provided by Embassy Suites. The manager's reception is FREE. I don't know why anyone feels they should expect more than what is offered. There were, as previously stated, some light snacks- Tortilla Chips and salsa, Goldfish and Chex Mix at the evening reception. Two of the three evenings of our stay, there was also warm cheese sauce for the chips. I saw the chips and other dry snacks being replenished as needed. Basic alcoholic drinks are included. I showed my guest pass and received a margarita at no charge (although I did give the bartender a tip). It's understandable to have to prove your guest status, is it not? With a lot of conferences being held in the hotel, this prevents non-guests from taking advantage of this service and causing price increases for overnight guests in the future. On nights two and three, I chose soft drinks and snacks rather than an alcoholic drink, and was not asked for any show of ID at all. Soda is available self-serve with unlimited refills.

Breakfast was complete and pleasant. There are hot items, both cooked-to-order (such as omelets or breakfast sandwiches) and pre-cooked items such as pancakes, French toast, bacon, etc. You do need to show ID to prove your guest status to take advantage of these items. In addition, stationed throughout the atrium breakfast area are other items such as sliced bread, English muffins, regular muffins, pastries, yogurt, cut and whole fruit, cereals, milk, juice, coffee and even a capuccino machine. Everyone seemed pleased with the offerings and they were more than adequate.

Reading some of the previous reviews, I found myself wondering if we were talking about the same hotel. Our stay was definitely worthy of a good review. If traveling to this area again, we will definitely consider staying at this property again. The only consideration that may make us choose another location would be the proximity to the city and the sightseeing activities we were there for. This hotel seems more appropriate for business travelers than families planning to tour San Francisco. Then again, for the price, we might just stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco ...
#1 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport (SFO) - Waterfront
Ramada Limited San Francisco Airport North
Ramada Limited San Francisco Air...
#5 of 28 in South San Francisco
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport North

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco

Address: 250 Gateway Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080-7018
Location: United States > California > South San Francisco
#5 Romantic Hotel in South San Francisco
Price Range: $198 - $431 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites San Francisco Airport Hotel South San Francisco