“Stately B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Stately B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We have stayed twice at the Arroyo Vista Inn and highly recommend it. We love Room #2 which overlooks the San Gabriel Mountains and has a porch and full glass windows. The rooms have armoires instead of closets, traditional wooden furniture, decent bathrooms, bathrobes, and comfortable beds. The Inn is up a long narrow driveway. It has a lovely downstairs livingroom where they serve cheese, wine and port in the late afternoon. There is a downstairs diningroom where they serve substantial gourmet breakfasts. The innkeeper, Pat, is very hospitable and accommodating. The house dates back to 1910 and has been renovated to keep the feel of the house but make it very comfortable and inviting.

Room Tip: We prefer the rooms that look over the mountains instead of the back hillside. The mountain view ro...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
Pasadena, California, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went to the Arroyo Vista Inn for a romantic weekend and it was perfect. The room was wonderful. We enjoyed sitting on the porch with a great view of the valley below and sipped wine. Breakfast was very special. Thank you Pat.

Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We enjoyed many things about Arroyo Vista Inn but will highlight a few that were especially impressive to us. The location is beautiful!! We really appreciated their commitment to local and organic products. Also, the food was excellent - it was very delicious and healthy! It was also good that the menu for the 2 mornings was different. There was sparkling water & diet coke ad lib in a little fridge available 24/7. That was a very nice touch. We also enjoyed the wine and cheese hour. We had only one small issue during our stay and that was that the air conditioning unit in our room was intermittently loud making it a bit difficult to sleep during the first night. Otherwise, we truly enjoyed it and will refer our friends to stay here.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mary A
arroyovistainn335, Owner at Arroyo Vista Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful review, Mary. We are delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your stay at Arroyo Vista Inn. We are pleased that you appreciated our efforts to serve healthy and delicious breakfasts, the wine and cheese hour, and the complimentary beverages. We also appreciate your pointing out the sound coming from the heating/air conditioning unit. That is the kind of issue where, if a guest doesn't mention it, we wouldn't know about it. So we are working to discern the source of the rattle and repair it. (Two heating system reviews point toward a loose water pipe!) Thank you for your valued input. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

My friends and I had the pleasure of staying at the lovely Arroyo Vista Inn for a 50th birthday celebration. Pat did an amazing job of accommodating our large group and making us feel right at home. The rooms were beautiful and spotless and the breakfast was fabulous!!! The area was perfect for a night out on the town and then wine and birthday cake back at the house. It was such a fantastic stay that I am now planning a reunion with the women in my family. Awesome girl getaway!!! Thank you Arroyo Inn! We made wonderful memories at your beautiful Inn!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are fabulous, it just depends on what you need.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CarrieLynn1967
paso robles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Good - a beautiful house, very clean and well maintained. Great location in South Pasadena. Walking distance to the Metro station on Mission and to the farmers market also on Mission. Good coffee shop at the end of the block - you will need it:)
Rooms are simple but nice. We asked for an extra bed as our adult daughter was with us and it was in the room on arrival. So we had high hopes upon arrival once seeing the place and seeing the room setup. Good start.
Then...
We arrived on Thursday evening. They knew there were three people in the room but only had towels for two.
We did not meet the Innkeeper until Saturday morning - well, not really meet - just happened to ask us if we wanted more toast.
The breakfast the first day (Friday am) started with a regular size plate with a few blueberries literally rolling around the plate, circling the couple of pieces of melon. Then the microwaved egg casserole (frittata?) with thick cold piece of toast was presented. It tasted ok but the presentation of the whole morning now makes this feel like someone clearly going through the motions.
And that is the theme for this inn. The innkeeper forgot to bring us towels, would forget items we asked for while at the breakfast table, and simply did not appear to have interest in speaking with guests. The breakfast was better the next two days but still not welcoming at all.
The wine and cheese that were supposed to be available from 5 - 7 pm - was available from 5-7 pm, and also the next morning if you wanted the dried up cheese and warm white wine left out to the next day.
It is a shame that a place with such huge potential seems to have fallen to a point of being on autopilot. There was NO welcome from anyone at any time during the stay. We were merely passing through a lovely home that served a meal in a very functional manner with coffee that was brewed (glass pot like in a diner) to the point of being burnt.
A little bit of caring would have made this stay dramatically different. As it was - the place salvaged a stay that could just as easily been like a Super 6 motel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank sean s
arroyovistainn335, Owner at Arroyo Vista Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I was very sorry to learn these guests were so displeased with their stay. I observed the parents fly by me, dogs in tow, as they checked in. They barely spoke. My conclusion (now obviously incorrect)s that these guests seemed reticent, which is totally fine; we get all kinds of personalities here. I personally served them breakfast myself on both Saturday and Sunday. At no time did anyone of the three of them mention any dissatisfaction. The guests are certainly correct that we erred in not giving them 3 sets of towels when there was a rollaway bed in the room (that usually indicates 3 guests). I accept responsibility for this oversight and have since reinforced the proper procedure with the staff.
Regarding the writer’s complaint over the Friday morning breakfast, the dish my assistant served was freshly baked for an hour that morning. We do not serve microwaved breakfasts; in fact, we rarely use the microwave. The Friday breakfast was our most popular dish, Eggs Florentine. The recipe has been published in B & B guides and is posted on our website because it is so frequently requested. According to the review, my assistant may have served a “small” plate of fresh fruit. If it was too small, then I apologize for that. I have since instructed her to put more fruit on the plate in the future. I have also reinforced warm toast be served.
Saturday morning when I served breakfast, 11 guests arrived at the same moment. Because it was a beautiful day and some guests had dogs, some sat on the front porch, some on the back porch and some in the dining room. Being the only server, it was crunch time covering 11 breakfasts in 3 different areas! I tried to make light of the situation, saying to all the guests, “When it rains, it pours.” Most of the guests took the crunch in stride and were very gracious and understanding. I did not realize these guests were upset with their service. We have a two hour slot for breakfast so that guests usually arrive at staggered breakfast times, allowing the service to flow. Not so, that morning! For breakfast that morning, I served an amazing hash with chicken, chorizo, potatoes, peppers and zucchini topped with two eggs. All the other guests raved about it. Apparently these guests did not care for it; I can only assume that since they compared Arroyo Vista Inn to “Super 6” motels. Again, I am sorry they did not like the breakfast, but they did not say that, nor did they ask for something different. I am also sorry that all guests arrived at the same moment, creating a bit of congestion and delay. This is a very difficult, if not impossible, thing to control.
Sunday guests were given a choice of banana oatmeal pancakes (made by me from scratch) or a crust less leek and gruyere quiche (freshly baked that morning) and served with chicken sausages. Again, this day there were no complaints from any guests about breakfast and many raves about the leek quiche. (Neither of these freshly prepared breakfasts is a ”Super 6” motel breakfast.) One guest, not of this party, asked for both breakfast dishes and complimented both dishes. I really don’t know what the writer is referring to with the burned coffee. I did not see burner coffee. After breakfast was over, two different families came asking for more coffee while they enjoyed talking on the front porch, so I made another pot. We don’t hoard coffee and we certainly don’t try to burn it. Most guests praise our coffee as very good.
On Sunday morning, I advised these guests that the maid was unable to clean their bathroom on Saturday because their two dogs, left crated in the bathroom, were barking so loudly the maid was afraid to enter the bathroom. They merely expressed their dismay, saying their dogs “never bark.” I sensed some awkwardness in that conversation, so I tried unsuccessfully to engage them further, talking about where they were from and how I had just spent a week in the area. In nearly seven years of Inn keeping I have learned that guests are all different and some people, even at a bed and breakfast, prefer to be left alone. I mistakenly reached the conclusion they were the type who preferred to be left alone.
As for the wine cheese left out overnight, we have an internal debate here: I like to leave it out for the last person who comes in. Some people think it looks better to remove it that night rather than first thing in the morning. (Thjs guest observed it as she gave the dogs their 6:00 a.m. walk.) I have decided to err on the side of extending hospitality. I recognize some people disagree.
So in retrospect, I misread some cues. For that I am sorry. I try to be engaging and positive with all guests, as much as time and my duties permit. I wish the guests had brought their concerns to my attention when they were at the B & B so that I could have addressed them. This is not the kind of review we seek, so I would certainly go out of my way to rectify the situation had I been aware of it. I am truly sorry these guests were disappointed.
After we receive a critical review, which thankfully is rare, I discuss the areas of concern with my staff, so that we can avoid future problems. In discussing this review with the maid, she indicated that she, the maid, was offended by the writer’s use of the “f” word when speaking to the maid. I did not learn that until after the guests left and wrote the uncomplimentary review. However, I do not appreciate the writer’s use of that kind of language around my staff. My staff does not deserve that, especially when the write gave 5 stars on cleanliness.
In the future I will ask more frequently to ensure guests are satisfied.
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We love the Arroyo Vista Inn. From the wine and cheese reception to the fabulous gourmet breakfast, it cannot be topped. We live very close but we feel like we are miles and miles away. The room was so comfortable. We felt welcomed from the minute we stepped on the gorgeous property. We are making this an annual tradition.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. You cannot go wrong.
2 Thank Jennifer G
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Beautiful, clean, comfortable, quiet and charmin...is there anything else you wish in a bed and breakfast? Other guests were polity and pleasant people. The owner is a friendly lady who is usually around in case you need anything. Had a three day lovely stay.

Room Tip: all rooms have great view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hilton Pasadena
Hilton Pasadena
#5 of 31 in Pasadena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,117 reviews

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!