“HORRIBLE!!”
Review of Arroyo Vista Inn

Arroyo Vista Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Upon arrival my girlfriends and I were pretty impressed with the place. The place was really cute and the view in the morning when you wake up is spectacular. Right away we discussed coming back and using this place as our little getaway from the outside world. It's too bad that we didn't leave this B&B feeling the same way....

We woke up in the morning to the smell of breakfast and my girlfriend and I were pretty excited about eating there. We were served coffee and within 2 minutes the owner came out (Pat) and introduced herself wanting to know exactly which room we stayed in. We told her and she was said she was trying to figure out what was going on because no one told her we would stay for breakfast and then she walked away. Apparently there must have been a miscommunication and if there was a problem I really think she should have talked to us about it. Instead she chose to go into the kitchen and talk about us to one of the workers while we were still within earshot! On top of that there were other guest having breakfast and I'm pretty sure everyone knew she was in there talking about us.

My girlfriend decided to address the issue with the owner and ask if there was anything we could do. That's when she went off about how she was a small business owner and wasn't aware that we would be staying for breakfast and it didn't make her feel good that she didn't know we would be there. Apparently this whole thing she was going off about was over 1 extra breakfast. The cost of it was $15 which we happily paid for the misunderstanding. My problem with the situation was she should not have made us feel uncomfortable and talk behind our backs to her employees and in front of other guests. She made us feel like we were thieves stealing from her or something.

Bottom line, I would never come back here because of the way I was treated.

Note to Pat: I really hope that $15 goes a long way for you. My girlfriends and I are not only never coming back here or referring you any business, but now you have this review to show how you treat guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank WandaWang
Management response:Responded November 21, 2011

First, the person who wrote this review was never a registered guest at Arroyo Vista Inn. I had no knowledge that she was even coming to the Inn. Second, the person who did register for the room told me very specifically the night before that she could not stay overnight because she could not find a babysitter for her child. In fact, the registered guest said no one would occupy the room overnight. The registered guest said she just wanted a quiet place to talk to her friend for a few hours. In an effort to be accommodating, I brought the guest wine even though it was well after the wine and cheese hour.
The next morning I was in disbelief to see there were two extra guests at breakfast, neither of whom was accounted for in any way. The bed and breakfast is an extension of my home. I feel a responsibility to the other guests to know who is in the building and to keep it safe and secure. We keep a white board with names of guests for convenience, safety and liability reasons. Needless to say, these two women were never on the white board. Apparently, all three of these very young women did not appreciate the security concerns others guests might have or the liability concerns that I have, not to mention the surprise of unexpected guests for breakfast.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I have been staying at the Arroyo Vista frequently for several years when I was on business in the LA area. It is a lovely place. After a long day of travel and business it is soothing to arrive at the Arroyo Vista.

In addition, I recently brought a group of colleagues to the Arroyo Vista when we had meetings near by. We could not have hoped for a more hospitable experience. The food is great and you get service when you need it and privacy when you want it.

This is a great place for business and leisure travelers!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Enjoyable B&B with first rate accommodations and great breakfast. Large rooms with great views; large bathroom; good towels and bedding. Easy access to S. Pasadena and Pasadena. Walkable neighborhoods. Nice indoor and outdoor sitting areas. Breakfast, afternoon wine & cheese, newspapers and comfy chairs make being there a treat. Would easily recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor - Sunrise View; it was a large room with great views.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2011

What a surprise to get off the highway and find the inn so close yet so secluded from the roadways. A winding drive from street level leads a very atractive compound tucked into the side of the hillside. The broad porch with comfortable seating, with the sound of water from the fountain and vista through the trees out to the valley and hills beyond makes for a peaceful setting. It's a short car ride from downtown Pasadena.

Wonderful breakfasts, Very comfortable room in a beautifully detaiiled craftsman style house. Porches on the second floor allow for private space to read and chat, or to star gaze. The innkeepers' service was perfect, friendly, and gracious. We had the additional need to host a special event and the innkeepers were able to accommmodate seamlessly.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I have reviewed many hotels. I booked it early. It looked amazing. I knew I was choosing the least expensive room, but was so disappointed when I heard that a huge discount was given to my fellow travelers. I inquired about an upgrade, but the owner was very distracted and rude. Beware: the rooms on the third floor do NOT have windows that open. This was a worry for me and I felt very claustrophobic. It is such a BEAUTIFUL place. The breakfast and staff are A+. I left really sad and disappointed.

Room Tip: Pay +++to have the amazing rooms. DO NOT book the third floor. Do not expect any sincere personalit...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank artizan
Management response:Responded October 3, 2011

This guest indeed chose and booked one of the least expensive rooms which have fewer amenities. When she saw the more expensive rooms that her companions had booked, she said in front of them and me, ”Why couldn’t I get a room like that?” I told her she could have any room available and receive the same discount that her friends got. Instead of taking that offer she asked for a free upgrade to one of our most expensive rooms and threatened to write a bad review unless I upgraded her for free. I was not about to give away a more expensive room just because a guest threatened to write a bad review. I’m glad that this person found the Arroyo Vista Inn “a BEAUTIFUL place” and “the breakfast and staff are A+,” but am taken aback that someone resorts to personal attacks when they don’t get what they want for free.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

This bed and breakfast is so well designed and accomadating it is like being at your own home... only the best part is you do not have to do the cooking or cleaning. I always enjoy my stays at Arroyo Vista Inn because all the rooms have a unique feel to them and the view is absolutely gorgeous. I love the inn keepers and the food is amazing. The comfort and accomadation is some of the best I have ever revieced. I truly recommend this bed and breakfast to all my friends and family because I would not want anyone I know to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a jacuzzi tub :)
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank wmarne
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We had been doing another South Pasadena B&B for years for our spring getaway. But it had gotten a bit grey around the edges, so we tried the pricier Arroyo Vista. Beautiful craftsman home, breath-taking view. Comfy and roomy room with awesome candy by the bed. Walkable to South Pas and just far enough to walk off one of the gourmet dinners of the various South Pas eateries. Ohmigosh, the hot breakfasts were to die for, hot and tasty. Great cookies in the common room. Enjoyed talking with the owners and other guests the first morning. What interesting folks! I stopped short of giving the place an excellent rating only because the second night the room had not been made up (and I had been spending all day thinking about that bedside fudge!) and the second morning the owners were nowhere to be found. The overall experience was so awesome that I couldn't bring myself to try to find them to ask whether making up the room was or was not to be expected, but it leaves a question mark hanging about whether we will return.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BirdBikingBuddha
Management response:Responded September 7, 2011

We strive to provide an excellent experience for every guest who comes to Arroyo Vista Inn. We hope this can be seen from the overall tone of our guest reviews. We are happy that this guest enjoyed the breakfasts, the homemade cookies and candy, the views, the great old house, and the other guests. (We have the most interesting and fabulous guests...Check out our blog, "Arroyo Vista Inn Guests Are Talking About...") Because this guest visited five months ago (April), we are unable to determine how the cleaning of his room was overlooked. In order to avoid a future recurrence for any guest, we have instituted a new cleaning checklist that will identify the individual who cleans each room. This new procedure should provide the extra accountability to prevent a recurrence of inconvenience to any guest. We look forward to the return of this guest so we may try again to earn his "excellent" rating.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
#4 of 31 in Pasadena
The Bissell House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!