“HORRIBLE!”
Review of Bistro De La Gare

Bistro De La Gare
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro De La Gare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“HORRIBLE!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is one of the worst establishments masquerading as a restaurant that I have ever been in. There's nothing French about this place other than the over done accents they're using. To call it a bistro is an insult to the French, who are known for their cuisine. It is not hyperbole when I tell you that you are better off at any chain restaurant than here.

The menu has virtually no vegetarian options, which in So. Calif., at a supposedly upscale restaurant, is ridiculous. Even fast food places have them.

The red snapper special that my friend had was at best mediocre, she said you could get better pretty much any where. The tomato soup was luke warm, tasteless, and watery. The goat cheese salad had no dressing (I had to ask for it on the side after it was served) and the four very small pieces of toast were topped with a goat cheese that had so much garlic and salt that it was inedible. It was removed from the table barely eaten, however, no credit was given on the check.

When I expressed that I felt it should be removed from the check, this was the reply: "The manager isn't here, so we can't take it off the check. But the chef says that next time you come back, he'll make you another one without charge." SERIOUSLY?! When have you ever in any restaurant sent food back to the kitchen under complaint and barely touched and had it remain on your bill?!!! In truth every item on the table deserved to be sent back.

Service was very slow. Had to ask where the bread was after sitting there for over 15 minutes (we were there around 6PM with few people there at the time). "It's being warmed in the oven." Five minutes later a cold portion of very cheap baguette was brought to the table with rock hard butter. Neither one of us could eat it. You could get far better at Trader Joe's market.

I won't waste more of my time writing further on this debacle that was supposed to be my birthday celebration. I informed them that neither of us would ever be returning. They offered no apology.

Venture in at your own risk. You'd do better eating about two miles away at Carmine's. It's noisy but the food is good and reasonably priced, and for those that like cocktails or wine/beer, they have a full bar. I have reviewed that restaurant, also.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank HereAndNowAlways

Huntington Beach, California
“The Plates were hot but the food was NOT”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We arrived about 4:45 pm for the opening at 5 pm to celebrate a wedding anniversary with 7 family members (all adults). We were willing to pay the higher prices for a French meal. It was 1 1/2 hours before we were served. Unfortunately only one of the dinners was satisfactory, the fillet of sole looked perfect. The rest of us ordered the lamb shank (overcooked and hard meat with tiny serving of vegetables). The seafood pasta was also a disappointment. Only the mussels and pieces of salmon were good, the shrimp still had the full shell on, the scallops were very small and overcooked and also the calamari pieces were overcooked and rubbery. The pasta itself was OK, but the sauce was not very tasty. Those who had beef (fillet mignon and hanger steak) thought their food was tough and not very good. What a disappointment. The French wine ($32 a bottle) was nice, and the French onion soup was tasty and the Caesar salad was good. The waiter was nice, but I think the cook was out to lunch. There was French music playing and the ambiance was pleasant, but I do not recommend the food...poor quality, poor preparation and over priced.

• Visited June 2013
Manhattan Beach, California
“AVOID THIS RESTAURANT”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was one of the worst meals I have had in a long time. First our party of 7 waited almost an hour and 1/2 to get our meal and we were the very first party to arrive when it opened at 5 pm. When we did it was terrible. I had a filet mignon that was tough and tasteless. Two others had the 'hanger steak' and it was so tough they couldn't eat it. Others had the lamb shank and it was over cooked and tough. One had the seafood pasta and the shrimp in the pasta was not even 'shelled'. The waiters are nice enough but they aren't very on top of things - we had to go and get our own wine list, none was even offered to us.

I am so sorry to see that the restaurant was crowded when we left. I wanted to warn anyone waiting to turn around and go to McDonald's or anywhere but here. This food, especially for the price, was really awful.

• Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, CA
“REAL FRANCE in southern California”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently had dinner with a group of three friends at this restaurant, and felt as though I was back in France--and that's a good thing! From the moment you walk into the front door of this atmospheric, authentic-feeling French bistro located in a cute, leafy neighborhood adjacent to the train station (thus the name), you are greeted in French (and English). The menu is classic French, too, with a perfect onion soup, escargots and a very nice le steak frites and marinated moules (mussels) among many other choices. Wines on offer are very nice and desserts are also outstanding. Enthusiastically recommended if you feel like a little deja vu of your last trip to France, or if you've never been to France and want to see what it is like.

• Visited May 2013
“The Real Deal”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Had the Rosemary Chicken with Garlic Fries, excellent and very flavorful. Ate outside in the patio. Definitely would go back for the steak and fries next. Staff was very friendly and served us well.

Visited May 2013