“Good Food, Nice Happy Hour, Fun Bar”
Review of Gus's Barbecue

Gus's Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
Gus's Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mission Street
Transit: Gus's is located only a couple of blocks from the South Pasadena gold line station.
Pasadena, California
“Good Food, Nice Happy Hour, Fun Bar”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have been going to Gus's BBQ since I moved here from Rio de Janeiro, 18 years ago. I know Gus's before remodeling and been taken by new owners. I like the Gus's now much better. Love the bar, happy hours is great, food is un upscale BBQ restaurnta with some pretty delicious sides. One of the few macaroni and cheese I ever aside from my mother-in-law home made one. Huge portions with lots of flavor. The chicken wings are simply delicious.

• Visited August 2012

• Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“authentic BBQ”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great old building loaded with charm, walls are lined with old photos of restaurant that has been around since the 40's.
Ribs are nicely done, not too sweet or loaded with too much sauce. Sides of beans and collard greens were excellent.

Los Angeles, CA
“Hometown favorite”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Gus's BBQ has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember (and that's a long time; we're not exactly spring chickens). When we have out-of-town guests, we usually take them to Gus's for lunch or dinner. Gus's catered one of our parties. I love the meaty baby back ribs and my husband almost always orders the beer braised brisket. The last time we went, he had the sliders and I had the brisket quesadilla, both of which were top notch. The service is unfailingly polite and professional. Tonight our server Elliott treated us like royalty. Can you tell we love Gus's?

South Pasadena, California, United States
“A local favorite!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Gus's BBQ is seriously one of the best places to eat in South Pasadena. Like Houstons or Wood Ranch, only more quaint and a lot more flavor. The cornbread is a staple every visit. Each dish is really full of flavor!

San Francisco, CA
“Mmmm - Fried chicken and BBQ”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I LOVE BBQ so when I saw this on our B&B's list of local restaurants, my husband said "go for it!" It helped that we were both hungry. I made a reservation - for a Friday, this is a good idea (a couple with 2 kids, lots of questions, and no reservations tried to steal the table but the hostess held firm - I was stuck in line *behind* these people). Once there, ran into a problem - FRIED CHICKEN TOO?! Had to make a choice - and it was... COMBO!! The chicken was AMAZING. I thought it was all breast meat - apparently it was also thigh and leg, but all boneless and all juicy on the inside, crispy and cholesterol-filled on the outside ;-). Ribs were OK - pretty lean. My husband motored through his full rack. Sides were pretty good (I had garlic mashed and peas/carrots) - wished I had tried the cornbread - I heard it's good. The portions are not huge, which is good (tourists can't take leftovers), so my husband ordered dessert. Wish I could've had the S'mores Tart, but there were out. We had the brownie, which was OK. Service was a LITTLE slow, but very cheerful. Glad we had a table near the window - the place can get loud. Prices were about right for the food - not cheap, but not out of line.

• Visited June 2012