“Good expensive food”
Review of Shiro

Shiro
Reserve with OpenTable
Shiro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fair Oaks Ave.
Transit: South Pasadena Metro Station .4 miles from the Restaurant
Description: Our food is only the best of the ingredients presented so that their excellence shines through. Our caring staff is here to help you enjoy your meal. We have a full bar.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Delicious! However I think it's overpriced but this is what you expect at a fine dining restaurant right? The interior is beautiful! We sat at a window seat and I ordered the salmon which was absolutely perfect! It was flavorful and just wonderful! When we arrived, every other table received an amuse bouche except us. I have no idea why we didn't get any so I give them one less of a star for that. Thought that was kind of unfair. Even people who came in after us got an amuse bouche each. All in all, the service was great and I would definitely come back here again.

1  Thank nlee1220

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Shiro continues to bring high quality Asian influenced cuisine, exceptional service, and ambiance to the LA/San Gabriel Valley scene. This gem is located on the main drag in South Pasadena, but is unobtrusive in its exterior decor. You might easily drive right by it, but you would be missing a real treat. The signature catfish is very tasty and large enough for a couple to split after enjoying a couple of their great appetizers. The other entrees are equally delicious. Their wine list is complete and offers some high quality selections. Be sure to check the "last bottle" list for a new favorite, we did. Oh and don't forget to leave room for dessert!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

According to our waiter Shiro has been around for 25 years! Shiro is located on a main street in South Pasadena but is easy to pass by. It has a low profile which is deceptive. Upon entering the restaurant you see high ceilings and a pleasing uncluttered decor with tasteful art and pleasing background music.

This was my first visit along with 3 other friends. On a Sunday night at 7:30 the restaurant was not crowded. The Super Bowl was in full force. Service was outstanding. Our waiter was well informed and took time to explain preparation of entrées. There is a predominance of fish dishes. I ordered Loup de Mer (French sea bass). It was delicious along with a separate plate of gratinée potatoes and steamed vegetables. The plates were HOT which is not too common in most restaurants. Desserts were all prepared in house. I had the fried wonton skin with carmelized pear, fresh raspberries and a cream sauce. I wish I had taken a photo but was enjoying it so much I forgot.

I recommend this restaurant as a two thumbs up!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Although we were tempted to try another dish, we could not resist their signature dish – Whole Fried Catfish. The 3-pound sculpted fish was as good as we remembered. We wisely chose to share this entrée; it was great fun to pick off pieces of tasty fish with our chopsticks. For appetizers, my wife chose the tuna tartar and I decided to try something different, namely fried oysters. Both were delicious. For dessert, we shared an apple tart which was quite satisfying.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Shiro is truly a cut above all other restaurants. The food is a unique combinaton of Asian and traditional European cuisine. It is NOT modern fusion cuisine which combines so many tastes in one dish that you don't know what you're eating! Food is prepared impeccably -- meat and fish cooked just right with lovely sauces which enhance the taste of the main ingredient. I'm sure that all the ingredients a fresh every day. The service is professional, friendly and attentive.
The restaurant is quiet (soft jazz in the background) which allows one to have a conversation with ones table-mates. It's not a "hot spot" and doesn't try to be.
Shiro is not inexpensive, but the ambiance and truly well prepared and high quality food make it a wonderful "special occasion" restaurant. The decor is contemporary and there's always a huge arrangement of fresh flowers.