“Fun Place for South Pasadena”
Review of Canoe House

Canoe House
Cuisines: Polynesian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New-Replaced a neighborhood restaurant called Wild Thyme
Reviewed September 12, 2012

A fun different place to go out in South Pasadena. Food was tasty and they have delicious drinks. I feel like I'm on vacation every time I go there. The bar is super fun too.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This restaurant is located only few minutes from my house but I waited to visit until things settled down after a huge renovation and change from a quiche/french pancake place called "WildTyme" to" Canoe House". It is owned by the same people that have several other restaurants. I missed the polynesian food of Hawaii, included the sweet mai tai, pina colada type drinks and this place delivers. It has been previously reviewed as an upscale "Islands" but it is not. The decor is subdude but with a outrigger suspended from the ceiling. There is an extensive island drink menu with specials every night and pupus with lots of choices. There are fish dishes, hamburgers and salads as well. You can eat a lot or a little, depending on your appetite but everything we had (ahi salad, crab cakes, Hawaiian spare ribs, pineapple upside down cake) was excellent. My only complaint is that small children screaming ruined the rum buzz. If you don't like this intrusion either, sit by the bar (no kids seated there). I also wish the crab cakes were not fried but lightly battered. Other than that, go and have a polynesian trip down memory lane. Parking and handicapped access is very good.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We live locally and were glad to see that Wild Thyme was gone although these are the same owners. Its basically a burger joint with a few entrees on the menu. The service was fast from the time we sat down but they seemed to really be pushing their drinks, our server made sure of this by telling us about them and not any of the food specials. I understand that because it is a major profit center to any restaurant. I ordered the Gazpacho and ahi tuna sandwich. The gazpacho tasted like it had a bit of ketchup in it. Trader Joe's makes a better one! The sandwich was just ok. My wife ordered edamame and a chicken lettuce wrap. The edamame had some type of sweet glaze over it, the lettuce wrap was average. the bill came to 33 bucks which I feel is a little high for what you are getting. Its a new place so hopefully it will improve, and they will continue to improve the menu which I think needs some work.nothing memorable about this trip there and you could get the same food for a lot less elsewhere.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

While I do miss WIld Thyme, I have to admit that they've done a nice job of bringing in a fun tropical option with the Canoe House. My green chile burger was great, served with a generous portion of hot tasty french fries. Everyone in my party was pleased with their choices. Though the chicken wraps were a tad on the salty side. Our server was very friendly and attentive. The only downside was that it was a little too warm and stuffy. Kicking up the a/c would have made it a more pleasant experience.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

My first visit to this restaurant was disappointing. Not because the food was bad, it wasn't. Not because I didn't like the decor, it was well done, not authentic but certainly fun. I just missed the neighborhood vibe and feel of the restaurant it replaced. Yes I admit to a certain "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mind set and I probably dined at the old place at least once a week or more. But I got over it and decided to give the new place a try. And there's really nothing wrong with it, but it's been months since they opened and I don't have the heart (or any reason) to go back.