“Not quite what was expected but worth considering for Yosemite visits”

Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We booked this hotel as part of our visit to Yosemite since hotels in the park were sold out. If not staying in the park, there are not a lot of "close" options for lodging outside the park, so it was good enough for a last minute booking. It's quite a drive from the hotel to Yosemite and the winding road up/down a mountain to go to/from the park is not something you can immediately determine from just on-line directions. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our few nights there. The kids loved the pool and the complimentary breakfast at the restaurant next door was decent. Rooms were clean and spacious enough for a family of four. It's also advertised as a conference/meeting location, so it offers free Wi-Fi which I typically expect now now given my various business trips. The hotel is in close driving distance to various fast-food restaurants, some supermarkets, and other stores that provide conveniences while on vacation.

The staff was friendly and offered tips on more local tourist attractions. What we didn't plan on but was a nice option is its proximity to other tourist spots like Columbia and other "Mother Lode" spots in Tuolumne County. If you enjoy a bit of the Old West flavor, then it's worth visiting places where you can go on stage coach rides, pan for gold, or explore local caverns.

I wouldn't plan on it as a place to stay if only visiting Yosemite. Still, it's a good option if finding a place to stay in that general area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. It is a 2 story hotel with no elevators. Most of the rooms face out towards the parking lot but a few rooms are located in interior corridors. Our room was fairly large with a good showerhead, comfortable beds, a microwave, refrigerator & pillows that weren't too soft or flat. Although the TV wasn't a flat screen, the picture was very good. The sink/vanity area was outside the bathroom. The wall heater/air-conditioning unit was controlled by a wall thermostat which had somewhat confusing instructions but we finally figured it out. The unit itself isn't particularly loud but the fan sends out a very strong blast of air, even on the lower setting. It's great for cooling off the room but a little annoying when you are sleeping. The hotel has quite a few WiFi networks - the WiFi in our room was fine but I frequently had to change the network in order to have quicker connections, which wasn't really a problem. There is a computer in the lobby for guests to use. I would have preferred a location closer to the downtown area but it wasn't a problem to drive downtown for dinner. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient.

Guests are given coupons for breakfast in the adjacent restaurant. You can get 1 of 4 choices that are listed on the coupon or you can get $4 off any breakfast on the menu. All of the breakfasts include juice & coffee. We had oatmeal & toast. The other choices were a continental type breakfast, a Belgium waffle with a choice of toppings and a 2 egg breakfast with bacon or sausage & hash browns or pancakes. The service in the restaurant was excellent. Room service from the restaurant is available during certain evening hours.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2010

If you are looking for a great hotel to stay at, this one will not let you down. I have stayed at many hotels/Motels around the country and found that this Best Western was one of the best.
I was delighted to see how clean the facility was and comfortable too. The staff was efficient and friendly as well. The food in the hotels full seating restaurant was good with reasonable pricing and the typical complimentary breakfast was satisfactory and cooked to your liking by the chef. They have a nice heated pool and hot tub which in the evening is nice because the climate cools down a bit.
There is ample parking.. We were pulling a boat and the hotel has designated places to pull in and park. The only problem I could find was that there is no elevator to get to the 2nd floor. So ask for a lower room if you have a lot of luggage or can't climb stairs to well.
I would have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Very nice staff, I check in very late around 12:30AM from a long drive and was greeted by a very nice person at the front desk. The beds were firm but most econo hotels are. Tv remote was a little irritating and I just about had to stand on my head to just turn a channel. I had to slam the door just to shut it. Other then that I enjoyed my stay and I hope my Company puts me there again when I go back in October. Oh and they give you free food at there restaurant, however after the first day I never returned.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2010

The hotel room itself was average. You could tell it was updated and for a Best Western it was fine. Note to hot tub lover - don't sit down in this tub, the seats will ruin your shorts. It is made of the popcorn-like material they spray onto ceilings. Ouch!!
Check-in is posted at 3pm. We got there at 3:30 and had to wait for half an hour to get a room.
The main reason I rated this hotel average instead of good is because of our breakfast experience. It was BUSY! Too many people were promised their free breakfast and too few accommodations and staff for this service. We walked in for breakfast at 9am and had to wait in line. Staff was super stressed out. I'm sure they were trying their best but it was a poor experience for us. Finally a waitress came to us in the waiting area and was like 'you (pointed at my husband and I) and you (pointed at another couple), come'. As the waitress ran to the other side of the restaurant we were stuck in the crowd and trying to follow her. Got a seat and waited a while for service. Tiny glass of juice running servers around us. I saw a server wipe juice or something off the floor, throw the papertowel in the garbage and then continue handling toast with her bare hands. SO not appetizing. This hotel experience would have been rated higher if it wasn't for the breakfast experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Best Western in Sonora. The beds were very comfortable. It did take awhile to get extra pillows and sheets. We had to call twice and still waited. The pool was a bit small but it was clean and refreshing. The free breakfast at the restaurant next store is a bonus for staying here! The coffee was horrible but the food was delicious, hot, and plenty. Service was good too!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Stopped by on the way to yosemite, Nice place, helpful and friendly staff, bug free,the beds were really comfy, clean place, breakfast included....all in all ..if I were in the area again I would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Aladdin Inn
The Groveland Hotel
The Groveland Hotel
#5 of 7 in Groveland
Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites

Been to Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!