Gunn House Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$133
Hotels.com
$75
$65
$80
All reviewsegg casseroleteddy bearsrocking chairsgold countrygold rushhomemade breakfasthistoric innbreakfast roomstreet noisemodern amenitiesfresh fruitnice poolqueen rooman overnight stayair conditionersan franciscoyosemite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed here en-route to Yosemite, very warm welcome, but not as hot as the temperature outside, so a dip in the pool was much needed and very welcome. We had a room at the back, so it was very quiet and the decor reflected the age of the building. We took them up on their recommendation of Bannys for dinner, it is well worth the visit. Never seen so many cakes at breakfast time, all home-made and totally delicious.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank janice36
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2009

We are so very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

Arrived at Sonora after driving through beautiful Yosemite. The Gunhouse is easy to find as there is only one street. We had requested a quiet room and were shown a downstairs room in the original part of the house. Upon entering I sensed immediately something wasn't quite right. I thought I could smell damp, but wasn't quite sure. Anyway, we requested another room which was fine - very quaint and old worldy - the Gunhouse is the oldest building in Sonora.

We spent the afternoon walking through the town but something still wasn't quite right. Yes, it was very quaint, but seemed to be populated by strange souls who were a stick short of the bunch. All the shops were closed, the streets were empty yet there was a good deal of traffic. Anyway, night time came and we went to bed. I still did not know what my feelings were, but something wasn't quite right. I ended up waking at 3am, the noise of the aircon driving me to distraction. I felt weird and knew I wasn't going to get back to sleep, but also had a strong feeling not to stay in the room. So, I took my laptop and sat on the walkway outside. I thought it was weird that a couple who were staying in room 5 were also sitting out.

I eventually went back in at 4.30 to try to sleep. At 4.45 just as I was drifting off a massive thud came from behind us. Both my wife and I sat up and had no idea what the noise was. I then began to drift off again when I heard a 'clanging' noise from beneath our room - like pans being moved about. I assumed it was thew kitchen staff preparing for breakfast.

We eventually made breakfast at 8.30 (a fine array of cakes no less). In the corner sat an elderly lady who was charmed by our little boy. She was an employee there and lifelong resident of Sonora. We were the only ones there. My wife for some reason asked her whether the Gunhouse was haunted and without hesitation she told us it most certainly was. She herself had witnessed the figure of a lady leave the fireplace in the breakfast room and walk across the room seven years previously. The woman she was with saw it also and left the same day to go work at Walmart. During low season when she stays there alone (when the owners are on holiday) she would regularly hear commotion coming from the walkways outside the rooms and from certain rooms themselves. She would look but there would be nothing there.

Eventually they got professional 'ghostbusters' in who confirmed very strong presences and activity in quite a number of rooms, most notably in the honeymoon suite, which is where the Gunn family themselves used to sleep and in the original part of the house and the first extension.

I then spoke to one of the other cleaning staff who confirmed everything the old woman had said. She named the room numbers that she said the psychics had mentioned. I told her about the room we had originally been shown and the feeling I had - the 'dampish' smell etc. She told me that she doesn't even go into that room! I explained the 'clunking' sound from beneath our room and she told me that in May a woman had stayed there and despite locking and chaining the door on four separate occasions it flew open. She checked out at 3am. The kitchen was at the other side of the building so it wasn't breakfast being prepared. She also explained that room 5 was one of the rooms that was allegedly haunted - the room I saw the couple sitting outside of at 3.15am. Weird.

I have the heebie-jeebies just writing this but it was interesting to say the least. It is far from being an unpleasant place to stay, the owners are helpful and pleasant, but it has a 'feeling' for sure. Sonora itself seems to carry that very same feeling. A proper little ghost town I guess.

Bizarrely, our 8 month old boy slept through - the first time ever!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank notbrazil
one08, Day Manager at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2009

Wow, it sounds like you had quit an eventful stay. Of course, we always appreciate and welcome guest comments, but unfortunately I personally cannot share your “ghostly adventure.” My family owned the Hotel for 40 years and we recently sold the building to its current owners 7 years ago. The owners graciously allowed me to continue working at the Hotel as the Day Manager. The Hotel was my childhood home, my first job and now my career. Can you believe it! 32 years later I still haven’t had a ghostly experience. Sorry, the current owners who live on the premises haven’t had any experiences either. However, it is true that professional ghost busters visited the Gunn House. After many hours investigating a hotel in Jamestown, they came to our hotel for a drink in our bar. Naturally, I’ve heard some very entertaining ghost stories, but I can only confirm them as just that: STORIES. And I promise, we haven’t lost any guests’ to a ghost yet!

Reviewed August 2, 2009

My daughter and I passed through Sonora on our way from Yosemite. The place was very clean and very reasonable price wise. The owners were friendly enough. The breakfast was very good. There are several restaurants nearby for dinner. As someone noted - it is a bit noisy as it is on the main street. I took ear plugs and had no problems sleeping.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The hotel is very cute, with very nice decoration. The room was outstanding and very clean. We had a room on the back; therefore we were not annoyed by the noise of the street. It was really relaxing to spend a night here. Plus, there is a little patio next to the swimming pool that is very charming. The breakfast was great too....lot of choice. The owner and people working there are very friendly. I will definitively recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed here one night on our way to Yosemite. What a BEAUTIFUL place the Gunn House is. It's a combination motel/B&B Inn. Even though it received fabulous reviews on Tripadvisor, I was still leery being well-acquanited with the Sonora area. Let me say this...the Gunn House put my expectations to shame and I truly do wish more hotels/motels & B&Bs were the quality of this establishment.

CHECK-IN: Quite a number of guests, including ourselves, arrived at the same time and I thought "Oh my...this is going to be long wait!" The front desk clerk was a young lady who was very sweet and efficient. Thankfully, the wait was minimal despite the fact that the clerk personally showed each guest to their room. I was duly impressed.

ROOMS: What a delight! We had a deluxe queen room on the side of the Gunn House.
It was tastefully decorated in antiques and had an "old" feeling without being old at all. The bed was fairly comfortable with VERY soft sheets and duvet. There was a large armoire and dresser with plenty of room for clothing if a guest were staying for more than a couple of days. A nicely sized bathroom with spa-like soap and shampoo and a blow dryer. The day we arrived, it was over 100 degrees at 5 p.m. When we entered our room, we were greeted with a powerful air-conditioner that was very quiet all considered. There was a small tv for viewing, though we never used it so I'm not sure of the stations available.

The only negative was the noise level. Unfortunately, the hotel is on a main drag in the old part of Sonora. It was really noisy making it hard to fall asleep and woke us up early. I would recommend asking for a room in the back of the hotel.

BREAKFAST: Two words..."FABULOUSLY DELICOUS." There was a homemade quiche that was to die for!!! Lots of homemade coffee cakes and breads, make-your-own waffles, cereal, some fruit, DELICIOUS orange juice, coffee and tea. (I may have missed a few items.) Breakfast is served inside or outside. The interior breakfast area is like a fancy dining room I wish I had in my own home. The exterior is quaint and faces the pool.

POOL: There is a pool in the back of the Gunn House that was very nice. There is plenty of seating poolside, along with a seating area outside the pool that was very comfortable and beautiful. Due to the heat, there were a number of people swimming however, the pool never felt crowded. There were very soft towels available for use by the pool.

PARKING: There is parking in the back and the side of the Gunn House. Parking can be a little odd and it was somewhat difficult to navigate the stairways, leading from the parking lots to the rooms. While I don't see this as being an issue and it's all part of the charm of an old hotel, I could see where elderly people or those with disabilities may have a hard time getting their luggage from their cars to the rooms.

OVERALL: STAY HERE!!! It is beautiful, quaint and charming. In fact, I would come back to Sonora just to stay here!! A great place to come back and I highly recommend it! The price was unbeatable ($89 a night for the deluxe queen) and I truly think they could charge a whole lot more. I've paid double the price elsewhere for a terrible experience.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family