“Very Nice Place”
Review of Gunn House Hotel

Gunn House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed August 2, 2009

My daughter and I passed through Sonora on our way from Yosemite. The place was very clean and very reasonable price wise. The owners were friendly enough. The breakfast was very good. There are several restaurants nearby for dinner. As someone noted - it is a bit noisy as it is on the main street. I took ear plugs and had no problems sleeping.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 29, 2009

The hotel is very cute, with very nice decoration. The room was outstanding and very clean. We had a room on the back; therefore we were not annoyed by the noise of the street. It was really relaxing to spend a night here. Plus, there is a little patio next to the swimming pool that is very charming. The breakfast was great too....lot of choice. The owner and people working there are very friendly. I will definitively recommend this hotel.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed here one night on our way to Yosemite. What a BEAUTIFUL place the Gunn House is. It's a combination motel/B&B Inn. Even though it received fabulous reviews on Tripadvisor, I was still leery being well-acquanited with the Sonora area. Let me say this...the Gunn House put my expectations to shame and I truly do wish more hotels/motels & B&Bs were the quality of this establishment.

CHECK-IN: Quite a number of guests, including ourselves, arrived at the same time and I thought "Oh my...this is going to be long wait!" The front desk clerk was a young lady who was very sweet and efficient. Thankfully, the wait was minimal despite the fact that the clerk personally showed each guest to their room. I was duly impressed.

ROOMS: What a delight! We had a deluxe queen room on the side of the Gunn House.
It was tastefully decorated in antiques and had an "old" feeling without being old at all. The bed was fairly comfortable with VERY soft sheets and duvet. There was a large armoire and dresser with plenty of room for clothing if a guest were staying for more than a couple of days. A nicely sized bathroom with spa-like soap and shampoo and a blow dryer. The day we arrived, it was over 100 degrees at 5 p.m. When we entered our room, we were greeted with a powerful air-conditioner that was very quiet all considered. There was a small tv for viewing, though we never used it so I'm not sure of the stations available.

The only negative was the noise level. Unfortunately, the hotel is on a main drag in the old part of Sonora. It was really noisy making it hard to fall asleep and woke us up early. I would recommend asking for a room in the back of the hotel.

BREAKFAST: Two words..."FABULOUSLY DELICOUS." There was a homemade quiche that was to die for!!! Lots of homemade coffee cakes and breads, make-your-own waffles, cereal, some fruit, DELICIOUS orange juice, coffee and tea. (I may have missed a few items.) Breakfast is served inside or outside. The interior breakfast area is like a fancy dining room I wish I had in my own home. The exterior is quaint and faces the pool.

POOL: There is a pool in the back of the Gunn House that was very nice. There is plenty of seating poolside, along with a seating area outside the pool that was very comfortable and beautiful. Due to the heat, there were a number of people swimming however, the pool never felt crowded. There were very soft towels available for use by the pool.

PARKING: There is parking in the back and the side of the Gunn House. Parking can be a little odd and it was somewhat difficult to navigate the stairways, leading from the parking lots to the rooms. While I don't see this as being an issue and it's all part of the charm of an old hotel, I could see where elderly people or those with disabilities may have a hard time getting their luggage from their cars to the rooms.

OVERALL: STAY HERE!!! It is beautiful, quaint and charming. In fact, I would come back to Sonora just to stay here!! A great place to come back and I highly recommend it! The price was unbeatable ($89 a night for the deluxe queen) and I truly think they could charge a whole lot more. I've paid double the price elsewhere for a terrible experience.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2009

One of the oldest buildings in Sonora or close to it. We enjoyed our stay even in the 100 degree heat our room was very cool with the ac on. Teddy bears on the beds with pillows galore and bedspreads to match. A quaint breakfast parlour with home made pastries and waffles cooked for you on order. Pool was clean and refreshing. Squeaks and creaks with every foot step but you get used to it. . Museums and gold rush history everywhere you look. Will stay again someday.

Reviewed July 13, 2009

My husband and I discovered the Gunn last year and have made it our "staycation-destination" ever since! We live about an hour away, so it is perfect for a quick, overnight getaway. We especially love to get a room in the front so we can enjoy the lovely porch in the evening with a decadent bottle of wine and watch the passersby. The owners, Mike & Shirley Sarno, have thoughtfully remodeled and redecorated each room; their beds are the most comfortable we have ever slept in away from home! Breakfast with the delightful hostess, Tiffany, will get your new day off to a great start...ask her to make you a Belgian waffle! She is also full of local info if you need any ideas about how to fill your day. Don't forget to visit Paul across the street at Outlaw's BBQ....I DARE you to eat better BBQ anywhere else on the planet! It is that amazing! Sometimes we get appetizers to-go and enjoy them on the porch with friends before going to the restaurant for dinner. There is so much to do and see in Sonora, Jamestown and Columbia....stay at the Gunn and have a wonderful time exploring the Gold Country!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2009

Thank you so much. What a wonderful review for us. It is guests like yourself that make our job a pleasure. Look forward to your return to our hotel.

Reviewed July 5, 2009

The hotel has the curious pricing for front, side, and rear rooms, with a $2 differential. The side rooms have no deck or rocking chairs as do the front rooms.

The rooms have window air conditioners and while it was 100+ F late in the day, the rooms were cool enough.

I wasn't overwhelmed with the breakfast as it consisted of a help-yourself cake pan of ham and scrambled eggs, possibly baked. This is accompanied by a great variety of coffee cake. The second day, after finishing breakfast, I noticed you could get Belgian waffles.

Parking is a challenge since there is a very steep grade from the street up to the parking lot in the rear. There's a space in front of the building for check-in that presents a problem in exiting as you have to back up and turn onto the slope..

Eating dinner out was a big problem as many restaurants were open only for breakfast and lunch. The first night I had to eat at Subway as the alternatives were Chinese, Japanese and Indian cuisine. The second night I ate Chinese across the street and it was so-so.

Be aware that some attractions (train rides, mine visits) in the area are only open weekends.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed one night in June. It was a wonderful hotel. i had researched the hotel before arriving and it was everything that everyone had said it would be. The rooms were so unique. Each one was different. I was afraid of the noise from the traffic, but it didn't bother me. The pool area was very lovely. The breakfast was remarkable. Everything was homemade and so inviting. We enjoyed the shops in town. We had dinner at the City Hotel in Columbia Sate Park. It was a very delicious meal and we enjoyed the atmosphere. I wish I could have stayed longer!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2009

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure reading your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#4 of 8 in Sonora

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!