“Comfortable and Quiet”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Morgan Hill, California
“Comfortable and Quiet”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We were touring the Gold Country with young friends from France who had their one year old with them. Both of our rooms were lovely and ours faced the street but there was little if any noise and it seemed more like a nice house rather than a hotel room. The young family with us had a side room which allowed them more privacy and even with a crib set up they had room to spare. In the evening we sat on the veranda outside our room and played cards until dinner time. The next morning we met in the breakfast room for an awesome array of good things to start the day with. If we are ever in need of a room in that part of California again we will make it a point to call the Gunn House.

Room Tip: Off load luggage in front of the hotel before parking in the back lot. Much easier......
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank cruisincal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Frederiksberg
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Very charming little place with pool and excellent breakfast. Must visit when you are in Sonora. Went there with my family and we stayed for one Night while visiting California.
Breakfast above standard for these type of motels. Thumbs up from our little family.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Schmidt_6906
Pittsburg, California
Reviewed July 4, 2014

This was our second visit to the Gunn House. It is a funky, quirky, good place to spend the night. We take the owner's room, #10, because of the king bed, and the porch overlooking the main street. The bathroom is a converted closet with a sloping floor and a tub that doesn't drain. But the ambience of the room itself is worth it. And the breakfast is the icing on the cake... Always four or five wonderful pastries from local bakeries... And egg dish hot and just prepared, and Belgian waffles to order with melted butter, and hot maple syrup... The parking is sometimes difficult, but again, worth the effort

Room Tip: Again, second floor, front
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JQD2
o.c. california
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Last summer, my husband and I took a trip up to Sonora from Orange County for a family event. We checked Trip Advisor and decided to stay at the Gunn House Hotel. We were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of services and of the loveliness and cleanliness there. We also had a special request to eat breakfast early as we had an 8:00 AM church service to attend. At 7:15 we were in the dining area, eating a hearty breakfast. Our room was in the back (there is a driveway that takes you up to the higher level in back). The room was very nicely and tastefully decorated- and although this is an older hotel, it didn't show any signs of it in our room!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I've stayed in 3 historic hotels in Sonora while travelling for business. The Gunn House Hotel is by far the best. Shirley makes an amazing egg casserole and a variety of coffee cakes and danishes every morning. The coffee is good too. This is truly a historic hotel with the comforts of home. I just hope it's not booked up next time I visit Sonora.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Z00lady
Marina
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Thank you Trip Advisor writers for rating this hotel #1! When I was looking for a hotel in Sonora/Angel's Camp area I depended on Trip Advisor reviews! I wasn't disappointed!

I had to be in the area for business and I wasn't going to be at the hotel that much, but I wanted to be comfortable in my room when I was there. Looking at it from the outside you don't know that there is like a secret passageway through the middle of the hotel to the next two levels up. I didn't even know there was a pool from the website and we told the owner. She took a picture and posted it! I wouldn't have had time to swim anyway, but it is nice to look at and there are cool rock walls and flower gardens all around.

The room had a nice quality wallpaper strip around the middle of it with "old world books" in blue, burgundy, green, and gold. The décor all matched and there was a cute bear on the bed. I happen to love teddy bears and the colors of the room. The floor squeaks when you walk on it---it's from 1850 so a little squeak is so cute!

I found my bed to be a tad hard, but that's what makes going home so nice....you appreciate your own bed!!!

The breakfast is nice in an antique decorated smallish room on the second floor (by the pool). Some folks took their food out onto the patio and ate outside. As others have mentioned there is an egg dish, many breads and cereals, fresh waffles, orange juice, and coffee. Since I was there for 2 mornings it would have been nice to have a different egg dish the 2nd morning (like a quiche or something). The second morning the egg dish was a bit burned on the bottom.

I could hear traffic now and then go by, but my room was #23 on the 3rd floor in the back. It had to be the quietest location on the property. You are, after all, on the main street of Sonora when you are at the Gunn House Hotel. Trucks do rumble by. There is a parking lot close to the back of the hotel too which is next to the the hotel which goes up a steep street, and turn right. Then you walk downhill into the hotel. The other one is on the street level.Both parking lots are gravel. It is not a huge property but it had a wonderful feeling there.

There was a party going on Saturday night when I came back to the room at 11:15. The noise went on til 12:30. But I can't fault the management for that: People are just drunk and being idiots on a Saturday night. (I think there had been a wedding). The office closes at 10:00 p.m. I do not know if there is a phone number listed in the room to call the management; I just hoped the noise would stop and it eventually did. No one asked me how my stay was so I didn't mention it.

I'm sorry I didn't have time to take any pictures because I usually like to post pictures.

Overall I am rating this hotel "Very Good" because of the special charm it has, and I think all people can feel comfortable there (singles, families, couples, etc.). You can just picture it being on the wagon trail back in the day. The way it is laid out makes it feel quaint and cozy.

Room Tip: I chose my rooms based upon the bed types due to having friends and family help us with our bar-b-qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Sherry P
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Funky and fun 1850 historic house, with a clean, cool, and bigger-than-expected pool set away from the road(and from prying eyes). Staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed our stay here in Sonora, which has a laid-back charm.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#5 of 8 in Sonora
Victorian Gold Bed & Breakfast

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!