“Fabulous!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Edinburgh
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We had previously stayed in Sonora at the Sonora Inn but after reading recent reviews decided to look for another hotel instead this time. We liked the idea of an Independant hotel and the reviews helped us decide on the Gunn House, it was a great decision!

The owner and her staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is charming. We'd had a problem with a hotel we'd stayed in in San Francisco and the owner offered us free use of her telephone to contact them and resolve the problem, then kindly took a message from them the following morning for us. My children enjoyed the pool and wireless internet! My son loved making his own waffles in the morning and we all enjoyed the excellent freshly home baked goodies for breakfast.

We stayed in 7 different hotels during our vacation but this was by far the most enjoyable - Thank You the Gunn House!!

• Liked — The friendly staff and great location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2008
Thank you for your very nice review. It was my pleasure to help in any way possible to make your stay more comfortable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Concord, CA
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My softball team stayed here this year and in prior years to play in a local tourament. Our team manager books well in advance (5 months this year). Unfortunately, this year my wife and I had to cancel our reservations for personal reasons. We canceled over a month in advance. After the date of our proposed stay I realized I had not received my deposit of $50. When I inquired of the hotel I was told that it's their policy to keep deposits of advance reservations. This is the first I'd heard of it. The team manager was not informed when he made the original reservation nor was I told when I canceled. Even though my wife and I could not attend this year our team filled approx, eight rooms and I was told the hotel had no vacancies the nights of my team's stay. Ka-ching! 50 bucks in their pocket and out of mine! Pretty lousy and secret policy. Beware! As a matter of principle, our team will stay elsewhere next year.

• Stayed July 2008
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2008

Hotels similar to all team sports have rules and regulations. The following policy
is stated on our website when making reservations:
Reservations more than 90 days in advance require a 2-day minimum stay and a non-refundable deposit of $50.00. Please allow a 14 day cancellation notice to avoid any further charges.
Our staff is well versed on our policies and informs everyone when reservations are made more than 90 days in advance. In fact, reservations more than 90 days in advance can only be confirmed via telephone Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Also, since you were not staying at the hotel with your team, you are unaware that the hotel was happy to accommodate them with breakfast an hour earlier than our normal 7:30 am start time and accommodated four of your teammates with late checkouts.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We were driving through town on a Sunday night and decided to stay in Sonora (as opposed to staying in Columbia, which turned out to be a hoakie historic town). Took the advice of prior reviewers and stayed at the Gunn House. They were friendly and the rooms had old world, B&B character. And together with the fabulous continental breakfast (includes egg souffles, cakes, waffles, fruit, toast, etc.), what more could I ask for? Could not believe all you get for the price at this place, best value I've seen! Only complaint was the bottom of the shower was a bit dirty (or possibly stained) and it barely drained at all. I emailed the owners to let them know though. If there's availability check out the upstairs rooms (I hear they're even better!) Will definitely return to the Gunn House in the future....

• Liked — Room Decor, Comfortable Beds, Fabulous Breakfast
  • Disliked — Shower drained poorly
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Decided to stay at the Gunn House after reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor. I especially appreciated the owner taking the time to respond to each review. Our "two queen" room in the back was spacious and quiet. We were taken to our room by a young girl from the front desk and though she wasn't particularly friendly or smiley (as several other reviews had complained about) she was very professional in making sure we we knew the layout of the hotel and were satisfied with our room. The room was nicely decorated and had comfortable beds and pillows. The decor was more bed and breakfast than hotel. The pool was clean and had plenty of chairs and lounges around it. We especially liked the sitting areas around the hotel where you could find a pleasant place to sit and read outside of your room. The morning breakfast was everything "positive" many of the previous reviewers have shared. The egg souffle was excellent as were the waffles. There was also a delicious variety of cakes and pastries available along with the usual cereal, juice and coffee. There was more than ample seating both inside and outside so you didn't feel crowded or rushed to hurry through your meal. The only negative I could see would be for someone with mobility problems getting up and down the stairs that went from level to level. We travel three months out of the year and quite honestly felt our stay at the Gunn House was among our favorites.

• Liked — ambiance
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dhen
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
Thank you very much for all of your wonderful comments. Once again, it is guests like you that make my job as innkeeper a pleasure.
Just for your information, we do have a handicap room that is on the same level as the breakfast parlor and has very easy access.
Marin County, CA
Reviewed July 11, 2008

My car broke down going up Sonora Pass and I was towed back to Sonora late in the evening without a clue as to where to stay. The tow driver dropped me at the Gunn House Hotel.

Mike and Shirley, the innkeepers, greeted me warmly; helped me get my suitcase, cooler, bags of food, etc. to my room; commiserated about my car; and made me feel very welcomed. They even put all my perishable food in their refrigerator!

Room #2, a perfectly lovely room with a comfortable queen bed, is on the first floor - street side. Unlike some folks whose reviews reflect noise on the street side - I experienced only quiet. Granted, the main street does have traffic, but my AC acted as white noise and I couldn't hear any street noise. I didn't even hear the young men who (apparently) came 'home' to the room next to mine in a party mood. And I'm not a sound sleeper.

In addition to the gracious hosts, all the staff is friendly and extremely helpful. Breakfast - as all the reviews state - is terrific. Eat on the later side and you CAN skip lunch. The parlor, where breakfast is served, is a great place to hang out, read, use WiFi or visit with USA and international guests.

After reading all the TripAdvisor reviews (yep, I was a little bored waiting 3 days for my car), I did tease the owner about a bad review from 2006. Let me say that I did not detect a hint of discriminatory attitudes, and one's assumed political party affiliation really isn't what makes a good or bad innkeeper.

I never did make it to Mammoth to meet my friends, but I DID have a wonderful, albeit unexpected, vacation at the Gunn House Hotel. Many, many thanks to all who made my stay comfortable and pleasurable.

• Liked — Comfortable bed, great soaps and towels and WiFi
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2008
It was a true pleasure having you as a guest at the hotel. We look forward to your return. Thank you also for the delicious goodies that you shared with us.
California
Reviewed April 30, 2008

I recently stayed at the Gunn House Hotel. What a great experience. Had charm and comfort and the rooms were exceptionally clean. Furnished in antiques - just my style. And the morning breakfast that was served was great. Coffee cakes and egg casserole, breakfast cereals, waffles, fruits, bagels, juice, coffee, milk. It was exceptional. Will definitely stay there again if I ever get up that way. Real small town charm.

• Liked — atmosphere and location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank momo4jjz
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2008
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear from folks who enjoyed their stay with us. It is guests like you that make us happy to be innkeepers.
Vestal, New York
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I stayed at the Gunn House in Sept. 2007. It is on the busy main drag in Sonora but my room was quiet. My room was nicely decorated; the pride of the innkeepers was evident. The pool was relaxing and the provided breakfast was better than the norm. The innkeeper was pleasant and helpful as to where to grab dinner in town. These accommodations were very reasonably priced. The only complaint is that since the parking is behind the hotel, you have to carry your luggage a fair distance. Perhaps the innkeepers can accommodate this - I didn't ask. Overall, two thumbs up!

• Liked — great value
  • Disliked — located on busy street
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank rjr0810
one08, Owner at Gunn House Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2008
Thank you for the review. Next time you stay with us please ask us to help with your luggage. We would be more than happy to assist you and have done so many times in the past.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#4 of 8 in Sonora

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!