“Absolutely Tops!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Sacramento, California
“Absolutely Tops!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have stayed here for a number of years now anytime I go up to the area. The ambiance is nothing short of stunning with the charm of the old days nestled in the hillside. The breakfast....well, there truly is nothing better than fresh, homemade and scrumptious! Whether it was a romantic getaway or a group of friends, we have always been treated with the utmost respect and kindness. I have stayed in a couple of other nearby places and nothing comes close. Best deal in town if you want true quality!

Room Tip: Depending on the time of year, the rooms along the street may have some street noise, but being able...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Wildomar, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We found the Gunn House Hotel 4 years ago and have stayed here several times as we frequently visit family in the area. It is clean and the friendly staff is appreciated. I love the rooms and the balconies with seating on all sides. Especially nice overlooking the road or pool. Breakfast is amazing here. Each day there are several coffee cakes, fruit, egg dishes to choose from. The staff will make you waffles as you sit in the old dining room. There is a book on the table with the history and printed article about the Gunn House Hotel over the years. Be sure to take time to browse through it. Be prepared to have good friendly service and meet interesting travelers while staying here. The atmosphere created here feels like family. Always my favorite place to stay in Sonora. It is downtown, so walking to the stores is easy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JCarabine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were traveling through Sonora and called the the hotel the same night to see if a room was available. They happened to have a room and right away the service was great. Once we got to our room, we were pleased with the inviting room. The room size was great and we enjoyed the style of our room. The breakfast the next morning was delicious. We were happy to tell our family and friends about the hotel and our experience.

• Stayed January 2013
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Having been born and raised in Sonora I have passed this hotel almost every day of my forty years. Not until two years ago did I stay there. I have stayed four times in the past two years and would recommend it to anyone visiting Sonora who wants an authentic old town feel.

I have stayed in the side rooms, the back rooms and the front rooms. I would ONLY stay in the front rooms next time. The porch is where it's at! Though it is communal I have rarely had anyone else sitting out on the rocking chairs at the same time I was (and I spend a lot of time out there when I stay). The rooms on the sides can be very small but the front rooms are larger and you get that view/porch. The furnishings are antique-y, even spooky at times but that's part of the charm of this place.

It's great that the pool is back open again... visit in the summer! The breakfast is amazing! Don't sleep through it. Clean, well maintained, good customer service, can't complain. I love the building and am happy it is still a highlight of the downtown area.

Room Tip: Stay in a room in the front to enjoy the porch and the rocking chairs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whisk-Chef
Ventura, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was the second time I had stayed at the Gunn House and although I couldnt remember much from my first trip I had a feeling it was a good place to stay.

The location is perfect, right in town and within walking of the various bars and restaurants. The Gunn House has a western feel but the rooms are kept very homely. The place has an unusual layout as it sits on a steep hill so you find yourself quickly climbing up levels. Suffice to say the rooms are furnished in a homely style, clean, basically equipped. The heating will keep the rooms warm when its 28 outside but it can quickly cool.

The pool looked amazing even though it was subzero. The highlight has to be the breakfast room with a huge array of sweet, savory, hot and cold home made foods in a cozy dining room. We were in a group of 7, including 2 young boys, and whilst we could have used a high chair (there wasnt one) there was plenty of food to keep their attention mostly at the tables. There was always plenty to eat even near 10am when they stopped serving, and this made a great way to start a trip to the snow.

The rooms come with their own bears, available to buy. I guess that's about the only bear encounter you would want in the area.

The hotel is quiet and good for short breaks for couples. If you take kids, be prepared if they wont sleep in a normal adult bed, and think about breakfast time and the lack of seating. There are also lots of stairs for them to tumble on, so it is not the kind of place to let them run wild.

I thoroughly enjoyed this hotel and it lived up to my vague memories of the first visit - I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: We tried 3 of the rooms in the old part of the hotel, and they were all super. I guess it is quieter...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Gunn House over new year's eve and it was a good experience. The hotel has a lot of character and the breakfast was great. The egg and sausage casserole and the made to order waffles were excellent. Breakfast in general was well done. There was 4 of us in the room with 2 queen beds.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We wanted a room with good morning light and got room 9 a large beautiful one, with a roomy bathroom. I felt at home immediately. It is in the front and we soon learned that even on a lovely holiday the rowdy gold miners' descendants are keeping to tradition by noisily drag racing up and down the street, boom boxes at full tilt bogie.. The very nice hostess totally understood and admitted she too would find it hard to sleep in front. We were moved to the back, into a smaller but slightly more expensive room this one also decorated with great care and distinctive furnishings. I am sure it contributed to the happy feeling on awaking.

Breakfast was good, homemade goodies, and an attentive helpful staff. Just get a room in the back unless you can sleep through anything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rosabluecat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 5 in Jamestown
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage
BEST WESTERN Cedar Inn & Suites

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!