“Very Basic Hotel.”

INNS of California-Sonora
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I arrived at The Inns of California after a visit to Yosemite National Park.It is a three storey hotel in two buildings situated just off the main street in Sonora.I was allocated a room on the ground floor.The room was a good size with a very large bed,T.V,Coffee-Maker,Fridge,Microwave and an Iron/Board.The En-Suite was adequate.There is free internet access in the lobby.Complimentary Continental Breakfast is also provided in the lobby although you have to take it back to your room to eat.There are a number of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
Complaints:- The noise from the traffic on the road outside and also when the people in the room above flushed their toilet there was a terrible smell.A couple of minutes later I noticed about an inch of dirty water sitting in the base of the shower.There was obviously a serious plumbing issue.
I contacted the front desk straight away and was eventually offered another room,which I gladly accepted.Hopefully,this was a one off but to me The Inns of California-Sonora is a very basic hotel and I didn't particularly like it,and would not recommend to friends or family.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor if you can.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
INNSofCalifornia, Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Unfortunately we can not predict when a plumbing problem may arise, but we did our best to resolve the problem as quickly and courteously. Sometimes events beyond our control can delay the resolution of a problem. I am glad that we were able to get you into another room and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

I am glad to hear that you found the room size good and the amenities to your liking.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Date of our visit: 17th September 2012. As a stop-over on a Cosmos Western Wonders Coach Tour
Our room was barely adequate for our overnight stop-over. The room we were allocated (on the third level was nothing like the lovely rooms displayed in the ‘Official Hotel Photos’ on Tripadvisor). Was the room small? I swear, there was not enough floor room to lay down and open up two suitcases. The bathroom was OK, at least it was big enough to move around, which is more than can be said for the bedroom..
Décor/fabrics/colours in our bedroom were dated. I’ve never stayed at a small town motel lodge before, so maybe, I expected too much. Perhaps the Tour Company budget dictated the quality of hotel stop-overs.
Free use of the hotel internet was useful to catch up on messages. A complimentary ‘Rudimentary’ breakfast was given by management. Although it was a bit of a scramble to get to the pre-wrapped offerings and coffee, which then had to be carried back to our room and eaten at our mini table). All in all, this kindness was appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DarloBoy
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The hotel is on the main street in Sonora, so easy to find.
The swimmingpool is small but functional.
The check-in was efficient and the lady who helped us changed our room from 2 double beds to a king, with no questions.
The room was comfortable with a fridge and a microwave. Bathroom was big enough too.
We could park right outside our room, which was great. Bed was very comfortable - great pillows too. Airco was a bit noisy, but we wore earplugs.
Breakfast in the morning wasn't much to our UK taste, but the toast was fine.
The real treat was the restaurant we found here with the locals we chatted to all night.
It is a good 2 hours drive from the good part of Yosemite NP, so just be prepared.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room at the back if traffic noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I chose this hotel because it was near the caverns. The hotel was nice. The room was large and so was the bathroom. The staff was extremely friendly. A fair selection of continental-breakfast items were offered. It is within walking distance to several restaurants. I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank VFlores111
Reviewed August 5, 2012

POSITIVES:
They had a vacancy, when other places were booked full.
The young lady at the front desk was very friendly.
NEGATIVES:
The stairs and balcony walkways were filthy and littered. I would have asked for a refund before I even looked in the room if I could have found a vacancy elsewhere.
The room I stayed in faced the street and traffic noise was loud late into the night.
The exterior facade looked good from a distance, but opening the door to our room was an unpleasant experience.
The room smelled of some type of strong, unpleasant and unidentifiable chemical.
All of the furnishings looked old and outdated.
Even though the place looked somewhat clean, it didn't feel clean.
I paid about $100 for a $30 dollar room.
My wife was right. The room felt "Icky". Enough said.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank C T
INNSofCalifornia, Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

From the information you provided, we are pleased to hear that you were happy with the friendly service provided by our staff. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the grounds and the room provided. I wish that you would’ve brought your concerns to our staff; maybe a change of rooms would’ve provided you with a better experience. It is our policy to do everything possible to make your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here one night after being in LA Disneyland, visiting friends in Modesto. Wanted to revisit the area as we always enjoy this area..spur of the moment decision to stay overnight on a Friday. Got a room here as my girlfriend had stayed here many years ago with family.
Place is older two story motel consisting of two buildings adjacent, but not close. Parking was adequate.
Room was spacious with TV, microwave, coffee pot, small fridge. It was orderly, but really needed some updating and elbow grease with lots 'o soap, if you know what I mean. Had it been longer than one night it wouldnt have worked for us...half of the rooms front the main street in Sonora and unless you run the air conditioner all night to drown out the traffic and late night parking lot barkers , you aint gonna sleep!
Check in was fast, easy but this place is no value. For your $$ you can find better accomodations in the Sonora area. Wasnt interested in partaking of the "continental breakfast" so cannot comment on it.

Room Tip: On the backside of the hotel and upstairs, not facing the street, if you want some peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hook026
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Location - we chose the town of Sonora as our key destination was Yosemite. It was about a 90 min drive to get to Yosemite. The motel is on the main street, Washington. The hotel actually has 2 buildings which are not right beside each other. We were lucky to be connected to the main building (where the check-in is and breakfast, as well as the pool is). We had a room that faced the back so it was not noisy at all.
Room - it actually looks better than in the pictures. They've updated the bedspreads! The room was dimly lit but appeared quite clean. The beds were fairly comfortable. The air conditioning set on low was still quite noisy though. The TV is an old 16". The bathroom was large but only has a shower, not bathtub, but that didn't matter to our family but may be an issue for families with small children.
Breakfast - mediocre continental fare, all individually wrapped. Good enough. Awful coffee though.
Value - had blindly bid on Priceline but only got $10 off (about 10% off) which is the worst deal I've ever received using Priceline. I usually get 40% - 70% off! So I don't think it was worth prepaying with no refund for just $10 off. I wasn't expecting much when I found out I ended up with Inns of California and saw the pictures on their website so I had warned my husband and 12 year daughter. When we checked in, my daughter said "it's not too bad."
Pool - small pool which we got to enjoy after a hot day of hiking in Yosemite. We had it to ourselves. It seemed to have a lot of chlorine in it.
To be fair, the neighbouring motels in the area all looked of similar quality, that is, a little worn and rundown. This motel seemed fine in comparison.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facin the back and in the main building, not thenother building down the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
#4 of 8 in Sonora
Rodeway Inn Sonora
Rodeway Inn Sonora
#6 of 8 in Sonora

Been to INNS of California-Sonora? Share your experiences!